• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What did you get from Santa for Christmas 2020?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I went MTBiking on Christmas Eve up here, on trails that are usually too wet to ride this time of year unless they are frozen (they were). My bike started out as a Specialized Stumpjumper but is now a franken-bike as front fork, main shock, front rim, tires, brakes, have all been replaced and a dropper post added.

I've gone full old guy with shin shredding platform pedals, and find using them with the 5.10 shoes pretty awesome with no clopping around when walking. I put platforms on my gravel bike too, and often ride in Tevas.
Modified 29er hardtail here (was a Specialized Hard Rock before I replaced everything but the frame). I do the exact same thing. Clip-ins just never quite worked for me. I understand the efficiency gains and weight savings (don't really care about weight that much, it's a MTB), but being able to just hop on and off my bike without special shoes is nice. I also use 5.10 skate shoes for longer or more aggressive rides.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Attire is only part of it. Riding a two wheeler on winter slick roads is a bitch. I am a desert dweller and in college got scared half to death when I hit a wet spot in a turn that was caused by irrigation sprinklers blowing onto the road. Lucky I didn't go down.
Totally get it!!!

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I've gone full old guy with shin shredding platform pedals, and find using them with the 5.10 shoes pretty awesome with no clopping around when walking. I put platforms on my gravel bike too, and often ride in Tevas.

I thought "old guy" meant buying a pedal-assist bike??

I used to ride with a guy, in his 60s, that went from a Pivot Mach 429 to a Specialized Levo electric pedal-assist. The technology is incredible and so is the price tag!

I'm looking to upgrade my hardtail to a full-squish, but bikes also had a major supply chain issue with COVID and local shops had nothing available since early 2020. I haven't been back inside in early this Summer, racks still empty.

taxi1

pilot
I thought "old guy" meant buying a pedal-assist bike??

I used to ride with a guy, in his 60s, that went from a Pivot Mach 429 to a Specialized Levo electric pedal-assist. The technology is incredible and so is the price tag!

I rode a gravel route last summer with 5000' of vertical, and hit the wall going up the last 1000' climb. Probably would have fell over if I was clipped in. I'm not @mad dog worthy.

Sat there in a pool of my own sweat about half way up while this elder threesome cruised by on their e-bikes, full grunt uphill, happy as clams. I was deeply envious.
I'm looking to upgrade my hardtail to a full-squish, but bikes also had a major supply chain issue with COVID and local shops had nothing available since early 2020. I haven't been back inside in early this Summer, racks still empty.
I hear you. I had to wait for months for a new front shock, and eventually just had the old one rejuvenated for almost the price of a new one.

number9

Contributor
I rode a gravel route last summer with 5000' of vertical, and hit the wall going up the last 1000' climb. Probably would have fell over if I was clipped in. I'm not @mad dog worthy.

Sat there in a pool of my own sweat about half way up while this elder threesome cruised by on their e-bikes, full grunt uphill, happy as clams. I was deeply envious.

I hear you. I had to wait for months for a new front shock, and eventually just had the old one rejuvenated for almost the price of a new one.
I have never ridden an e-assist bike, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if they were in the budget.

Also, 5000' of vertical is no joke for us mere mortals. Kudos to you.