• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are you reading?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I picked this set at a yard sale. They are my COVID read for the next few weeks. I am on the Atlantic War now. The set was published in 1946 and is sort of a fast history/PAO write up of the war. According to the title page it was published in accordance with the War Time Publishing Act. There are some great stories embedded throughout like the fact that the Navy recovered two L4 aircraft (Piper Cubs) from the off Utah Beach were they sank with an LST. The army was desperate for them and they were brought up, repaired by some Seabees, and flown right off the beach! Another Indication of the level of planning was the creation of the LCK...Landing Craft Kitchen...where lost craft and LCVPs could get a meal as they searched for their mother ship. All in all a great read.

sickboy

pilot
Working my way through this:

51gEjg0K2WL.jpg

If you like WWI history and you're interested in the German side of the story, this one is of very high, scholarly quality. The problem with trying to find good material about Germany is a lot of published stuff is either rehashed or you run into a lot of impertinent neonazi shit that you have to sift through (this is especially true for the online stuff). This book gets into the personalities of a lot of the senior German officers. What makes it interesting is learning about how they didn't always get along with each other, specifically who and when at different points in the war. There's also a lot of pretty good technical discussion (tactics, logistics, etc.).

I’ll add this into the deployment stack.

Along the WWI that might interest you is African Kaiser: Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck and the Great War in Africa 1914-18.

Notanaviator

Contributor
Don’t recall this one being mentioned previously, but just finished Red Metal, by Mark Greaney and Rip Rawlings- the former a Tom Clancy ghostwriter and the latter a Marine O-5 infantry guy. Basically a modern day rewrite of one of my all time favorites, Red Storm Rising. US v Russia, multi theater, number of interesting threads and characters. Pretty easy read, and some interesting echoes of the ‘original’ It seems to be based on.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Been reading “The People, No: A Brief History of Anti-Populism,” by Thomas Frank. It is a fascinating read.