• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are you reading?

number9

Contributor
Just finished The Hardest Place by Wesley Morgan about our (mis)adventures in Afghanistan's Pech Valley. I thought it was very good, though (by now) a lot of this subject matter has been covered before. If you've read "War" by Sebastian Junger you'll recognize a bunch of the characters.

ctx567

Just finished 2034.

The prose was better than Ghost Fleet, but the idea of a third world war between China and the United States sounds a little more complicated than the book made it out to be. Telling the U.S. side of story from the perspective of a Navy SWO, a Marine Pilot, and a member of the National Security Council doesn't come close to covering all the bases that other "what if world war three" happened books have covered.

I guess Stavridis and Ackerman were more focused on writing a cautionary tale for policy makers then telling a realistic story of what the front lines of World War 3 would look like.

As others on here have said, there can only be one Red Storm Rising...

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Headed on vacation soon and will visit a few battlefields back home in South Carolina. Just ordered "From Savannah to Yorktown: The American Revolution in the South" to read before the trip. Although there is a debate over which state had the most battles during the Revolutionary War, South Carolina is always at or near the top of any list, thus there are a lot to choose from - in particular the Battle of Cowpens, where Daniel Morgan completed the only double envelopment of the war.

Anyone else have some Revolutionary War books to suggest? (paging Griz...)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Headed on vacation soon and will visit a few battlefields back home in South Carolina. Just ordered "From Savannah to Yorktown: The American Revolution in the South" to read before the trip. Although there is a debate over which state had the most battles during the Revolutionary War, South Carolina is always at or near the top of any list, thus there are a lot to choose from - in particular the Battle of Cowpens, where Daniel Morgan completed the only double envelopment of the war.

View attachment 31132
-Almost a Miracle (had a to read a section for JPME, read the whole thing)
-The British Are Coming (on the nightstand, waiting it's turn)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

View attachment 31132
Those Damn Rebels: The American Revolution as Seen Through British Eyes
Angle in the Whirlwind ( best broad history by far)
A Devil of a Whipping

number9

Contributor
Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Am getting ready to subscribe to Naval History from USNI - anyone else get this hard copy magazine in the mail?

Yup, worth it. Short enough to finish in an hour or less and not riddled with errors or odd takes as some of the other military history pubs are often prone to have. Their recent Gettysburg-Navy article was a bit odd though, highlighting folks who had only tenuous connections to the Navy at the battle.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot

Reading for a class. Let me sum this one up for you:

"Humans fight wars for all kinds of reasons. Maybe for state security. Maybe distrust of other states. Maybe just because they're humans. Regardless of the true answer, a bunch of people throughout history have a lot to say about it."

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks for posting this! I am looking at the subscription for myself and my dad.

I get a few other magazines as well:
Foreign Affairs,

Architectural Digest,

and Garden & Gun

so Naval History will be a nice addition.

Does anyone subscribe to Smithsonian Air & Space ?