• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are you reading?

Notanaviator

Contributor
Just finished Stavridis’ book. Have enjoyed most of his writings a lot, and really enjoyed Hackett’s work too, and figured this would be modeled off that. Hackett got a LOT more in the geopolitical/economic weeds than Stavridis, and found 2034 to be a little lacking all but in an important takeaway that he drove home- nothing guarantees America’s standing in the world, nations rise and fall, and the only thing somewhat guaranteed is the hubris of those on top thinking they’ll stay there because they’ve been there. If folks actually learned that lesson, would be worthy enough. Don’t think we will, but that’s a different topic.

Mos

None
Just finished 2034 as well. I think the depiction of cultural change and the shift in cultural dominance from the U.S. to other countries is an interesting concept and probably the most compelling part of the book. The story's conflict works in depicting how America's cultural dominance could fall in a short time, as opposed to gradually like it's been doing.

I was otherwise disappointed in the book. Most of the narrative is spent in the thoughts of the characters, and the authors repeatedly build up tension to key events in the story but then gloss over and sometimes even skip the details of those events. It's hard not to compare this with books like Red Storm Rising or Red Metal, where the authors build that same tension, but reward the reader with procedural narratives of events as they unfold. If admiral so-and-so is ruminating for 3 pages about an upcoming battle, I want the next page to start describing how the battle happens, not jumping forward hours or even days after the battle happened.

There are some technical issues and omissions. Some of the time/distance factors don't make sense when it comes to unit dispositions and air strike paths. Depiction of air and space warfare is pretty anemic, and pretty much non-existent for undersea warfare. There's a bit of technical deus ex machina from a certain country toward the end that's a bit of a hard sell.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting discussion. I always felt kind of meh about Ghost Fleet. I know it was their first novel, but the whole thing just seemed ham-fisted to me with so many " Ah ha! We told you so" moments that it had me rolling my eyes after a couple chapters. Great concept, poorly executed.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Interesting discussion. I always felt kind of meh about Ghost Fleet. I know it was their first novel, but the whole thing just seemed ham-fisted to me with so many " Ah ha! We told you so" moments that it had me rolling my eyes after a couple chapters. Great concept, poorly executed.
And, 2/3 of the way through the book, once they were done with all the "a-ha" moments, they turned it into a weird female spy seduction/ Red Dawn wolverines making IEDs on Oahu type of love story and martyrdom tale. Oh, and the DDG-1000 finally works (w/ railgun). #spoilers

Pags

N/A
pilot
The Amazon reviews were not kind to 2034. I was looking into it as I like the notion and was surprised to see such terrible reviews. And these are reviews from people who like the genre so their literary bar is already set appropriately.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So I was leaving the grocery store the other day, turned on the radio, and the first thing I heard was them reporting two US Navy ships having been sunk by the Chinese in the SCS and a Marine F-35 down in Iranian airspace. It was like the first moments of waking up on 9/11 for a second. Then I realized it was a review of this book and they were just reading a passage. Haha WTF

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Just finished At War At Sea by Ronald Spector. Will be very grateful for any other book so concerned with the human being forced to fight at sea, not grey hulls or airframes nor admirals resembled gods. Surprisingly truely depicted Russian navy, of both Imperial and Soviet timeframes: really, there's nothing to be proud of but technical data of the later submarines. A lot of tasty details for Brits and Japs. And what is really amazing: the mere historical development of US NavAir is hardwired to reservists and part-timers (A-V/Ns then ROTC/AOCS), as opposed to career Canoe U guys who presented the managing element of that development but were neither the ethos renforcers nor character models. Submariners are chewed too and ADM Rickover depicted as a clown indeed - SSN stands for Saturday, Sundays and Night - though his role in nuke development acknowleged.

The book is relentless, but in a way that reveals truth.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
But it's better in my opinion to read Frankl plainly: no one can - and would - tell what is the meaning as such, but everyone has to search for the meaning's presence, the feeling that this fucking meaning is here, somewhere near, and it calls to you:p That feeling is enough, moreover, there won't be something more.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I was asked to review 2034 by a newspaper and, after several drafts, sent a hard "no thanks" back to the editor under the guise of "If you don't have anything nice to say..." The novel itself is tightly written and manages a good pace, but the overall effort is a bit like a B Western movie except in this one the Good Guys in the White Hats (the American's I suppose) can't hit a single target...not one. It is one thing to publish a novel that warns us to imperial the hubris that leads to the doom of empires, but it is entirely another to craft a book about a global event that should (in reality) have so many cross-currents that, in turn, are patently ignored for the sake of a simplistic and clumsy narrative. I'll try not to drop too many spoilers.

I have no issue imagining a future where America could lose a war. I actually have no issue imagining a future where a certain country might be "the" dominant global player, but I do have an issue with a novel that surmises that the destruction of two lesser cities suddenly causes the complete collapse of an advanced society occupying a vast and diverse geography. Unless every medical doctor, scientist, and half-wit-and-above engineer was in one of the two cities discussed when they failed it defies logic. But, it is a novel, so let's set that aside. I simply can not get over the complete lack of globalist thinking in this story. I respect Stavridis' non-fiction writing but if this is an indication of his knowledge of global affairs (and I assume it isn't because it is a novel) then I am badly mistaken about the man and his education.

The characters are like old fashioned cartoon villains (especially the Russians) and I half expected the Ruskie naval officer to scream out something like Oldman's Air Force One line..."Vhat do I want? Vhen Mother Russia becomes one great nation again, vhen the capitalists are dragged from the Kremlin and shot in the street, vhen our enemies run and hide in fear at the mention of our name, and America begs our forgiveness on that great day of deliverance, you will know what I vant!" only to discover the Russian's are so incompetent can't even guess at the weather or drop single smoke marker? It was all too much.

The war plot lacked the strike, depth, and determination of Hackett's far superior work. My kid, who has the military acumen of a "Wolf-Grade" Cub Scout had a suitable military solution figured out half-a-chapter before the one-dimensional National Security Advisor even considered a plan. And, just let me add, if the US Navy is as pathetic as they are made out to be in this novel then Stavridis and @Brett327 (just kidding) have a lot to answer for!

Final analysis....fast paced, fun, yet irritating to read if you have ever so much as looked at a map of the world. Read it because reading is good for you, not much else recommends it.

Notanaviator

Contributor
There's only one "Red Storm Rising".

Amen. Red Storm Rising and Stephen Ambrose’s stuff was what got me into military history, and from there into other aspects of history and geopolitics. Was grateful to have Ambrose as a mentor growing up, that was a terrific guy. Gruff as hell, minced few words. Great historian, and can rightfully receive a lot of credit for popularizing History by focusing on grunts at the squad and platoon level as opposed to broad movements of corps across theaters. Was novel at the time.