• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

West Point Cadet jumped twice: Once by thugs, once by the Army

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're dealing with the service that mentions "cranium winds" in a brief. Why am I not surprised? :p

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In college I was once referred to as a midshipwoman. I think I nearly had an aneurysm. I'm honestly surprised a woman in the service would gender-neutralize the word.

MasterBates

Well, she was a USAF O-5.. Which is about a Navy E-6 in terms of responsibility, so you have to give her a pass. Or she'll cry.

(BTW, she was NOT the epitome of fitness.. I'm jacked compared to her, and the scale and tape are my mortal enemies)

MasterBates

Can we bring that back? It would make cruise so much more enjoyable. New rate on the E side.. New Designator for the Os..

(I'll leave the actual rate and designator number up to you)

KBayDog

You guys have boat goggles on, even when you're not underway. Sad.

Boat Goggles. Something you'll never know anything about.*

(You lucky sonofabitch.)

*Until Big Navy decides that you need some underway time, and pulls you out of the cockpit to be the boat's safety officer, MiniBoss-A, or some other "good deal" job where you get to wear khakis all day, have a stupid fucking whistle tell you when it's time to shit, and "enjoy" a port call in some exotic land where you will be restricted to pierside liberty when you're not standing a watch every other hour...and then NJP every enlisted dude who binge drinks as a result of being restricted to the pier with no other options for recreation than buying overpriced beer sold as a fundraiser for the [insert rank here]'s Mess. Oh, and enjoy that per diem while it lasts, Shippie. You'll soon have the privilege of involuntarily paying wardroom dues, for which you will get nothing other than the enjoyment of eating the same food they eat on the mess decks. But hey - you'll also have the privilege of wearing a colored hat during GQ. Enjoy! :D

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Boat Goggles. Something you'll never know anything about.*

(You lucky sonofabitch.)

*Until Big Navy decides that you need some underway time, and pulls you out of the cockpit to be the boat's safety officer, MiniBoss-A, or some other "good deal" job where you get to wear khakis all day, have a stupid fucking whistle tell you when it's time to shit, and "enjoy" a port call in some exotic land where you will be restricted to pierside liberty when you're not standing a watch every other hour...and then NJP every enlisted dude who binge drinks as a result of being restricted to the pier with no other options for recreation than buying overpriced beer sold as a fundraiser for the [insert rank here]'s Mess. Oh, and enjoy that per diem while it lasts, Shippie. You'll soon have the privilege of involuntarily paying wardroom dues, for which you will get nothing other than the enjoyment of eating the same food they eat on the mess decks. But hey - you'll also have the privilege of wearing a colored hat during GQ. Enjoy! :D

No boat for me! Do not pass go, do not collect shitty bonus. I'm hippity hopping my ass to the reserves before I listen to that bunch of bullshit.

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Midshipwoman is pretty common in the naval science fiction I grew up reading, so I would not have reacted the way CommodoreMid did. Of course, I am not, and never have been, a woman. As for being a Midshipman, now, that is a different story altogether... :p

Seafort

Made His Bed, Is Now Lying In It
Naw. More like Aubrey in spaceships fighting other humans in other spaceships from other "star nations." Honor Harrington, Daniel Leary, Kylara Vatta. Humans vs. Humans, but in space. Honor Harrington's navy has "midshipwomen."

Although, my avatar and pseudo-identity is a midshipman on naval starship when all of his senior officers are dead and he fights aliens. He assumes command because the regs say that a line officer (not a commissioned officer) must succeed to command, and midshipmen are considered line officers when on cruise. The doctor, the CHENG, and the pilot (as in harbor pilot, not space jet pilot) are not line officers, so even though the regs probably were never written with this situation in mind, Mr. Midshipman Seafort becomes Captain Seafort... at the age of 17. He then goes on to make a bunch of mistakes, kill a lot of his people, but manage to save his ship from being taken by pirates, and successfully battle the space aliens. He expects to be court-martialed and hung, but instead Admiralty realises he's too famous, and they give him another ship.

He spends the rest of the series essentially believing himself to be damned to hell, having terrible nightmares about the people under his command who have died, but still managing to deus ex machina his way to destruction of alien fleets. He eventually goes on to become United Nations Secretary General before his administration is brought down by one of his corrupt deputies, and his habit of taking responsibility for everything that happens on his watch.

I love the series. Most people who have read it think it's depressing and horrific.