• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Waterfront property in the Spratlys? Good investment or not?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Whoever is the POTUS will win the foreign policy contest, and it’s not even close.

POTUS appoints SECSTATE, SECDEF, NSC, all ambassadors, trade representatives.

Trade policy and treaties don’t start in Congress: it merely ratifies them once the Executive Branch has signed it with foreign partners.
Biden probably needs help to tie his shoes

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If former Vice President Biden wins the election, will be curious to see how China policy changes. My perception is that Biden is China friendly but Speaker Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Schumer are much more hawkish. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think a more 'hawkish' policy towards China is in the future for this country no matter who is in the White House. The policy towards China was largely the bipartisan after Nixon's trip until the last decade or so, with most assuming as China opened up to the world it would also open up or moderate politics-wise domestically as well. Xi has put the brakes on the domestic side while also accelerating China's more aggressive foreign policy. Cracking down on Hong Kong while being more provocative from the South China Sea to the Himalayas among a myriad of other things has not endeared them to many, including politicians from both sides of the aisle here in the US.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Goodbye, Hong Kong:

Taiwan’s next...

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Yeah, not so much. Seizure of outlying Taiwanese islands or of another country's? Possibly, but even China would be hard pressed to invade and occupy Taiwan.
I agree, today. But it's on their to-do list.

My theory on Taiwan is China will use DImE to annex Taiwan. As in, nonmilitary means. And will do so gradually.

If Taiwan has 20 elections (I'm guessing) in the next 80 years, a candidate who is pro-Chinese Communist Party (overtly or not), or a candidate just susceptible to PRC coercion, only has to win one in order to set conditions for either a rapid or more gradual takeover. Pro-independent-Taiwan candidates have to go 20 for 20, however, to keep pro-Chinese Communist Party members out of power.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree, today. But it's on their to-do list.

More like a wish list at this point.

My theory on Taiwan is China will use DImE to annex Taiwan. As in, nonmilitary means. And will do so gradually.

If Taiwan has 20 elections (I'm guessing) in the next 80 years, a candidate who is pro-Chinese Communist Party (overtly or not), or a candidate just susceptible to PRC coercion, only has to win one in order to set conditions for either a rapid or more gradual takeover. Pro-independent-Taiwan candidates have to go 20 for 20, however, to keep pro-Chinese Communist Party members out of power.

I think you underestimate, certainly the PRC has, just how deeply the ideas of democracy and liberty have taken hold in Taiwan and Hong Kong. While a relatively young democracy those ideals have been embraced by the people of Taiwan and have become a point of pride and embedded in the national psyche. Even the Kuomintang, who are against independence, aren't advocating for any sort of union with the PRC nowadays, just better relations. Whatever support the communists have in Taiwan is minuscule at best, and dropping as they see what their compatriots in Hong Kong are enduring right now.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm no international law expert, but their thought of using UNCLOS to back up their claims seems like an "interesting" approach, especially given that they lost the Philippine case due to a violation of UNCLOS to begin with.
Yes, China lost their excessive claims in the Hague Tribunal, then proceeded to say the tribunal’s decision “is invalid and has no binding force,” the ministry said. “China does not accept or recognize it.” While the tribunal result is legally binding, the tribunal has no way to enforce it.