• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AwsumAwstun

Hey guys. Long time reader, first post. I am completely done with my packet for SWO (56 OAR, 3.35 GPA, Marketing degree, 5+years in management). I'm only waiting for a consultation regarding my eyesight.

In 2011 I attempted to enlist and was told by my recruiter, "They're not letting you in because of your eyes." He didn't say anything else and my dumb self didn't push for details. Last year, I found out that the reason was because MEPS wrote on my docs that I had kerataconus in my eyes, which is something I've never been diagnosed with. I've since confirmed with my personal optometrist that I don't have the disease.

Anyway, that shouldn't be an issue to get around because I definitely don't have kerataconus. I'm curious if others have had issues with vision as bad as mine and if I should be worried about not being able to get a waiver (I also realize waivers are oftentimes very subjective). I'm not super fluent in the language of optometry, so I'm just going to post what MEPS put on my medical forms:

DISTANT VISIONREFRACTION BY AUTOREFRACTION OR MANIFESTNEAR VISION
Right 20/ FC Corr. to 20/20By -11.25 S. +3.50 CX 100Right 20/ FC Corr. to 20/20 by +1.75
Left 20/ FC Corr. to 20/20By -11.50 S. +4.50 CX 81Left 20/ FC Corr. to 20/20 by +1.75

exNavyOffRec

I don't think I have ever seen vision that bad, I had a guy close to that who was denied though, another one who had vision about -9 who was only waiver'd for nuke.

AwsumAwstun

I don't think I have ever seen vision that bad, I had a guy close to that who was denied though, another one who had vision about -9 who was only waiver'd for nuke.
Well, as it was explained to me by MEPS, you take the -11.25 and add the 3.50. So the number would actually be 7.75. But again, I'm not super familiar with it and could be misunderstanding.