• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiting on the DCO Selection Board for PAO?

drustynail

Well my recruiter is still telling me that NO results have been posted yet as of this FRI 1700. Yes, he has repeatedly checked the otools site and assured me that the only results available are the 1650.

I don't understand how you all have been accepted and rejected and I'm very frustrated that I'm getting no info from my guy.

I'd like to personally determine how your recruiters have info which my recruiter can not access. Can you ping me your recruiter's contact?

ctg8r

So, because your guy can't find it, everyone else is FOS? Why would people claim to be rejected? My recruiter reached out to me with a congrats email, then a day later, sent me a DD2807 to have updated at drill. He wants it in his inbox so he can have it by Monday morning. I don't think he would generate paper on a whim. If you haven't heard, it's probbaly not good. If your recruiter doesn't know where the results are, call your processor.

ctg8r

drusty,
Just saw your PM and will reply. I may have misunderstood who you were calling BS on above.

drustynail

Hey CT thanks for the PM. I'll respond shortly.

I'll also edit the above post so it's more clear and not so inflamatory.

KMKProd

I know that recently I came off a little abrasive due to being a non-select, and I apologize for that. However something didn't seem kosher, and now I have an answer. After contacting one of the POC's for the program to see what I can do to better my chances next time, it turns out that my package for this year never made it to the board--that instead a partial package from last year (missing some of the components it had back then) was reviewed and promptly thrown out. So, I have contacted both my recruiter and my chain of command to see what happened and who screwed up so badly that my vastly improved package from this year was never submitted as it was supposed to be. Its one thing to be a non-select for reasons of qualifications--I can live with that and move on. Its another thing to have your package not even make it when it was put together well in advance and someone just screwed up. So if anyone else had an issue with their packages or OTools, then look into it. I may be the only one, but if there are others out there, they may convene another board if there is a systemic problem with their programs. Take care everyone and have a good evening.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...it turns out that my package for this year never made it to the board--that instead a partial package from last year (missing some of the components it had back then) was reviewed and promptly thrown out.

Wow. :icon_rage

3912DCO

Wow, KMK!!! I can't imagine how devastating this must be for you. I had a board that I struggled to get ready for, canceled but this is 10 times worse. Now you HAVE to submit your package for the next board. With a story like that, everyone and their dog will be falling all over themselves to make sure that your package gets to the board in the best possible state.

Head down and press on...your time will come.

That which does not kill you will make you stronger...you're not dead yet! :) Good luck! Make the best of this next shot!!!

KMKProd

Wow, KMK!!! I can't imagine how devastating this must be for you. I had a board that I struggled to get ready for, canceled but this is 10 times worse. Now you HAVE to submit your package for the next board. With a story like that, everyone and their dog will be falling all over themselves to make sure that your package gets to the board in the best possible state.

Head down and press on...your time will come.

That which does not kill you will make you stronger...you're not dead yet! :) Good luck! Make the best of this next shot!!!

It is absolutely gut-wrenching! Espcecially considering all that went into my package.

- Work in public relations doing education programs and special tours at the Kennedy Space Center
- Owner/Manager of a Video Production/Multimedia company
- E-6 in the Reserves, assigned to Joint Public Affairs Support Element / also work as Command Services (Admin) LPO for my TRUIC, Operations Support Unit 0855 at NOSC Orlando
- EP on my previous 2 evals (E-5 and E-6)
- Sailor of the Quarter for OSU Q3-FY09
- CO Endorsement from my local TRUIC
- Letter of Recommendation from Retired Navy Captain (former TRUIC CO)
- Letter of Recommendation from Retired Marine Corps Colonel and 2-time Space Shuttle Astronaut
- Letter of Recommendation from US Air Force Colonel, Director of Reserve Affairs, DCS/Logistics, Installations & Mission Support
- Letter of Recommendation from current employer at Kennedy Space Center
- Letter of Recommendation from former employer/friend
- Officer Interview JPASE-R CO (O-6)
- Officer Interview JPASE-R XO (O-5)
- Officer Interview SUBPAC PAO (O-4)
- Volunteer video/TV production at my local church (former employer as well).

- Alternate on PAO Board 2009 (can't remember which one, though).

The recruiting district is investigating, and my UMUIC CO/XO are also working things from their angle. Don't know what can be done, but it is unfathomable what has happened.

ctg8r

That bites!
You may not be alone. It sounds like others suspect the same fate. I would encourage them to find out for sure. I don't know what recourse you actually have but best of luck either getting it squared away or resubmitting.

Fleet MC2

Interviewer's Appraisal Sheet for Officer Candidate

Does anyone know where a good Interviewer's Appraisal Sheet can be found? I'm preparing my first interview for PAO.

Fleet MC2

das,
Thanks for the pdf. No recruiter for this guy... I'm active duty and will probably put together my DCO package myself. This is a great site. We can all learn more here than we could from a recruiter.

sigs10

to Fleet MC2,
Do not go alone. You have a Career Counselor. Use him/her. If necessary go to Group/Squadron/Base for help. The first test of leadership is knowing when and where to get help. Sending a package without a professional assist will invite mistakes and a fast track to getting rejected. Don't be a stud, be smart.
Cheers,
ETC(SS)

carrieUBE

Hey!! Does anyone know if another board has been scheduled yet?? If so, do you know when?? Would appreciate any info you have! Thanks!

jcusmc2005

I wanted to obtain some insight/ edits on my motivational statement. I am a Marine E-6 who served over 8 years on active duty and now 2 in the reserves (IRR) and am applying for Navy DCO PAO. I believe I have a pretty good package but my motivational statement is lagging a little. Maybe because I have read it over and over again trying to find errors or weaknesses. Thanks for your help:

I am applying for a direct commission to become a United States Navy Public Affairs Officer because I have a plethora of skills that include being a strategic communicator and thinker and I have the ability to create messages that resonate with key audiences. I am passionate regarding effective delivery in areas of visual, audio, and written communication in addition to developing and building trusted relationships with editors and policy makers. If I am commissioned, the United States Navy is making an investment in a professional with the right skills, experience and personal qualities to deliver dividends for the Navy.

Before raising my right hand to be sworn in to serve in the United States Marine Corps, I attended a military preparatory school, Fork Union Military Academy, that embraced leadership and our daily focus was on body, mind, and spirit. My roommate always spoke about either becoming a Navy or Marine Corps Officer, to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Our conversations helped me realize that I shared that passion to keep America safe and to become an officer.

I committed to the Navy and Marine Corps team because of their tradition of honor, courage, and commitment by enlisting in the Marine Corps where I laid my initial roots in becoming a leader. Arriving at Paris Island, South Carolina, I put everything I had learned at Fork Union to the test. In a short time, my skills had increased so that the drill instructors appointed me the leader of the platoon (guide). For a recruit, this was the biggest honor a drill instructor could bestow during basic training. Upon graduating from basic training I was awarded a Meritorious Mast for my leadership abilities during training. During Marine Combat training, I was awarded another Meritorious Mast for my leadership capabilities during combat scenarios and leading a squad of Marines.
As a Marine, I have been meritoriously promoted twice to the ranks of Corporal and Sergeant. Meritorious promotions recognize Marines for their superior potential for increased responsibility based upon their extraordinary performance, sacrifice, and contribution to the success of the Marine Corps. The boarding procedures for meritorious promotions are rigorous themselves in competing with the highest qualified and best Marines a unit has to offer. I am honored and humbled to have been selected for meritorious promotion twice during my career.

The biggest accomplishment in my military career to date was having the honor and opportunity to serve at the Marine Corps Legislative Affairs Office located at the Pentagon and serving at both liaison offices at the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate. At the Pentagon I worked as a Congressional Liaison Representative resolving congressional inquiries on policy issues affecting the Marine Corps. The legislative affairs office is where my strategic communication and thinking ability was put to the test in delivering a message to key audiences while developing and building trusted relationships with media representatives and policy makers. I had direct relationships with Members of Congress and their staff and served as point of contact with the Department of the Navy and the Office of Assistant Secretary of Defense for Legislative Affairs on legislative proposals. I provided strategic communication and thinking to my role at the Legislative affairs office and incorporated effective delivery to connect and move stakeholders and target audiences. My duties at the Office of Legislative Affairs were equivalent to those of a GS 11 level.

While I strive to be the best Marine Staff Sergeant, I want to push myself further, and believe this position gives me that opportunity. I am currently attending graduate school to further my education in International Relations and Communications, with an estimated time of gradation with a double major in the summer of 2011. I feel I would be a valuable asset to the Navy, given my military and professional experience, education background, and accomplishments previously outlined. First and foremost, I am a leader. The Naval Service (Marine Corps) has taught me to be a leader and flexible in accomplishing any mission. I have keen intelligence, determination, and strength essential to being a leader in the United States Navy. I proudly represent honor, courage, and commitment in upholding the greatest traditions in Naval service and want to continue serving in the Navy, a leader among American Armed Services.

The Navy caught my interest as it has the largest and most influential Public Affairs community in the Armed Forces. I have extensive experience in Government Affairs/ Relations and Public Affairs, which directly correlates with being a Public Affairs Officer in the Navy. In my current employment at Paralyzed Veterans of America, I work closely with PVA’s communications professionals on the Independent Budget and Paraplegia News articles. I write legislative point papers and articles for publication in the organizations monthly magazine, Paraplegia News and write monthly newsletters that are distributed throughout the nation to our 35 Chapters, 72 field offices and approximately 20,000 members. I write statements for the record and testimony which are vital for the organizations voice on Capitol Hill. I speak to Members of Congress and their professional staff members on a weekly basis on legislative issues. I also co-author a yearly publication, The Independent Budget, that is used to influence policy and appropriations discussion in the United States Congress.

I cannot think of a more satisfying reason to seek a commission in the Naval Reserves that will guide and mold me into a more exceptional leader. I possess the elements of leadership: integrity, intelligence, strength, adaptability, and determination that would make me a great asset to the Navy Reserve as a Public Affairs Officer. Additionally, my experience as a Public Affairs Officer will shape and complement my civilian occupation.

Thank you for your time and look forward to the results of the board.