• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiting on the DCO Selection Board for PAO?

ctg8r

I'm on a differennt drill rotation than you guys but I am heading east on a foward deployed AT this weekend. The active command factored into my package so I would love to let them know one way or the other when I get there.

On a side note, I do have a couple friends up here who are Canes. In the spirit of the season, I let them park in the driveway and come to the front door at Christmas.

Good luck, all.
Go Gators!

jsgator06

GO GATORS!! I can look out of my balcony and see campus and then hear games on game day :) I love being a part of the Gator Nation. On the note of waiting....It usually takes 2 weeks for the board results to come out.. PAO Active duty took 2- 2 1/2... I saw last year though that the results were out right away though so who knows the Reserves could be different. I just need to know soon so I know whether to apply to grad school, or to continue with applying to the other branches of the military. Navy is my 1st choice but so far they haven't wanted me-- despite being competitive :( Oh well, if it doesn't work out then it's not meant to be.

ctg8r

I just need to know soon so I know whether to apply to grad school, or to continue with applying to the other branches of the military. Navy is my 1st choice but so far they haven't wanted me-- despite being competitive :( Oh well, if it doesn't work out then it's not meant to be.

If you are looking for a commission in the Reserves, go to grad school (if it is an option.) It can only help future attempts if you don't get in this round. The beauty if Navy DCO is that it allows you to pursue two parallel (or not) career tracks.

My understanding of the competitive posture of an application is that it is based on demonstrated commitment, experience and leadership. You typically don't have that right out of undergrad but you can come out of grad school showing more. They are looking for seasoned pros. A lot of weight is also placed on prior service and/or enlisted service.

I was prior enlisted. Since graduating from UF, I've spent 12 years in the corporate arena and the last few years as an executive, civic volunteer and being involved in town government. I reenlisted last February after a 15-year break in service and the accomplishments and networking I've been able to do from within the community has been priceless. I specifically enlisted with the goal of a commission.

If you are passed up, you may want to consider enlisting. I know the UF curriculum and will bet that A-school will not be required. You will have to go through boot camp, though. The enlisted force is a much different creature than years ago. Of the people I drill with, 30% have bachelor's degrees and 10% have master's degrees. And, most are bucking for a commission.

There's no telling how the board will see me but everyone else that I've encountered has indicated that my enlistment has made me more competitive and has demonstrated my commitment while supporting my experience and leadership traits. One of my interviewers asked if I was prepared to carry the financial burden of being deployed as a junior officer. My response was that I'm currently deployable as an E-6 so the raise would be welcome. Again, having your head around the commitment is important because once you complete training, you're in the rotation and you need to be able to shoulder that. The Navy Reserve currently has a 12/60 objective. For every 60 months in the service you will be mobilized for at least 12 months. Depending on your situation, it could be split or single tours.

I think the others in this thread have been at the table a little longer than me but I'm sure any of us will answer any questions as best we can or point you to credible sources.

Best of luck and hopefully, we'll all get to meet at DCOIC or the DINFOS Capstone.

jsgator06

Thanks for all the advice. I know what you mean about grad school and getting the experience, which is why I know it is something that I will need... eventually. I just am not sure I want to go right on to grad school yet. If I did get into the Reserves, I would 100% go on to grad school. In any case, I plan on applying just because it is sort of my "back up" option. My dad was direct comm. as a Navy officer, and served 10 years in the Reserves and went on to work for the DOD and retired there about 4 years ago. I am lucky to have his experience and knowledge to help steer me.

I did ponder the idea of enlisted, but it just is not in the cards for me, as I have worked hard these past 4 years in college, and I want to use my degree for something right now (even if it is not within the PA community). I know it is hard to have the experience that the Navy wants, specifically for PAO, right out of undergrad. That was why to try and supplement the years of experience everyone else would have I went ahead to create my own major in International Public Affairs. I had hoped doing this would prove how serious I was and how badly I wanted it. Making your own major, at UF or any school, is a HARD thing to do, and I'm proud to have say that I succeeded and will graduate as the only student at UF and possibly in Florida with this degree, supplemented with a minor in Leadership and a year long PR internship. Even if it doesn't get me a spot for PAO in the Navy, I at least tried and showed that I can work hard.

I say that I feel I only have 1 % chance here as I know just HOW outstanding all of the prior enlisted, prior active duty, and all the others from the civilian side who have 10+ years in Public Affairs type work, are. I already was passed over for PAO Active Duty, so I am assuming it will be the same for Reserves. But hey, I knew that it was a long shot from the beginning, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I just want to serve.... as an officer, of any type, in any branch. Like I said, Navy is first choice as I am from a Navy family. But so far they have not wanted me, thus I will try once more with them if not selected for Reserves, by re-applying for Active Duty SWO, Intel, Supply, etc (wherever I can essentially), and I also will try applying to other services as well. I think my biggest mistake was not putting down any other choices besides PAO on my active duty app for I am quite certain I would have been selected for something else. I guess at that time I thought I looked more serious about PAO by only putting that down. In reality, PA type work is my dream, but serving in any capacity is what comes first.

I am lucky to have this site, along with others, to get such sage advice. I hope to someday join the elite Navy officers, but if I don't, good luck to all of you, and as always, Go Gators!

ctg8r

Don't confuse not selected with not wanted. I have high hopes but my expectations are tempered. I know most don't get in after the first or even second and sometimes third shot in front of the board. You're basically being blessed in as an officer without going through any of the traditional vetting processes. But make no mistake, as a Reservist, you ARE in the Navy so the demand for a DCO slot far outweighs the supply. It's not that you weren't wanted for the active PAO community, it's more likely that you were simply not as competitive as the 4-8 individuals, nationwide, who were selected.

So, how do you overcome that?

There is no one answer. The whole person concept is much more than excellence in the insulated school environment. Kicking a$$ in an environment where your efforts directly impact things like balance sheets, policy and legislation (not to sound too condescending, but, aka the real world) will always shine brighter than academic achievements.

And, don't look at an enlistment as a step down or compromise. I was told flat out by a recruiter several years ago that he would dedicate more energy to the two drilling reservists he had going for PAO than me. It took me a couple years to get my head around that but now that I'm in and see who the drilling MCs are, I get it.

A lot of what you do as an MC is the same thing you would do in an agency and drilling as an MC can help your civilian career if you approach it the right way. You will use your degree everyday you drill as a MC. But, like with everything in the reserves, you have to be proactive to put that opportunity in front of yourself.

I know a couple active MCs with master's degrees. One enlisted on active with a bachelor's degree because the experience was unmatched by what he would get his first few years in the civilian world. He picked up his master's along the way. He has his hat in the ring for DCO now after coming off 6 years of active duty. With your degree you can probably enlist at E-4/E-5, I got in at E-6 but it was because of prior military and current civilian experience.

There are a lot of interesting enlisted billets out there. All my unit work is international and we flex drill (work from home.) I don't think twice about switching from senior executive to Petty Officer and actually look forward to it. This weekend, I'll be making my second 2-week trip overseas since re-enlisting last year. The active component of my command is stacked with professionals at every level (officer and enlisted) and it is a pleasure to work with them. It functions like a small agency but without all the B.S. I've worked in a couple different agencies and I would put that PAO shop up against any PR firm that I've been associated with.

However, I also have a deep rooted desire to be an officer and will not be fully satisfied until I've exhausted all avenues to get there so I know where you are coming from. I've also learned that, in life, short-term compromises (if logical, reasonable and calculated) are often necessary to achieve long-term goals. It comes down to how bad do you want it and what are you prepared to do to get it?

The hook for you would be that the rate is closed right now. BUT, it doesn't sound like that is what you are interested in so I'll move off the subject. Whew.

BTW: As a Sr. VP with a defense contractor, I regularly bump elbows with "Birds and Stars" and I have never been embarrassed by being a reserve NCO. It gives me exponentially more credibility with them than someone who hasn't served. Not to mention some good references for DCO.

ctg8r

I'm an MC1 with NAVCENT/C5F. It's a great post if you're still enlisted and are up for transfer. I think we have a couple MC1 slots open. We do a physical muster a couple times per year just outside Boston (Quincy) and all our ATs are at NAVCENT. If it's an option after the dust settles from the board, ping me and I'll put you in touch with the playmakers.

jsgator06

That is some great advice. I totally understand where you are coming from now. I think at first I was a little confused with what you meant about enlisting, but it is definitely something I will keep in the back of my head. And I do realize that it is not that they don't want me.. I just put it like that, even though I know it's not true, haha. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason, and today I actually got offered a position as a grad student teaching assistant that would pay for basically all of my grad school, so I am 100% going to pursue that and look into the Reserve options a little bit more. I will not give up on my dream of some day serving as an officer, it may just take a little bit longer to get there. Thanks again for everything!

KMKProd

Be safe and have fun. I have AT in Tampa at the end of Feb, and then again in May in Hawaii. But I will gladly take a commission over Hawaii anyday. I might see my recruiter at the NOSC this weekend, but I am a little too scared to ask him. LOL

jsgator06

I'm super surprised nothing is out yet.. it looked like last years Reserve PAO board had results out like 2-3 days after the board met! do ya'll know for sure what day the board even convened?

KMKProd

The board was supposed to be the 12th. I haven't gotten any word on whether it was rescheduled, cancelled, or what. As far as I know, the board met and now we wait...and wait...and wait...etc.

With this being the weekend, I doubt we will hear anything until at Monday...but who knows. Last year, some people heard that afternoon from what I understand. There is no consistency. My first year, I knew the results were out before the recruiter because of message boards like this.