• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VMI, The Citadel, or VTCC?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hell, I can't even get on the NROTC website. It keeps timing out on me. So I emailed my OSO in hopes that he'll respond with some good news and will answer a few more of my questions.

zeronine

They don't tell you your status on the website. You find out in the mail whether you got your scholarship or not.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Well, this past week I got to visit both VMI and The Citadel, and I got to talk with the football coaches, department heads of my major, and NROTC representatives. I think I've made my decision and I'll fill y'all in when I get back to Los Angeles.

ELCID05

I was a three year scholarship mid at The Citadel. It was a good deal because it gave me that first year to look at all my options in each of the services and competeing for the three year scholarship was a little easier because you are somewhat of a know quantity at that point. I would also like to echo again the quality of the C of C girls there. You really cant go wrong in Charleston.

'05

jtellez

Go VMI. Other then the service acacdemies, I don't think any other college has graduated proven individuals whether it be in the armed forces or private business sector, VMI will prepare you. VMI has a strong tradition of educating proven soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines.

Plus being a top 20 engineering program in the US, and being the #1 public liberal arts college in the US doesn't hurt either.

jtellez

Well lets see, VMI is the only college other then an Academy to have a graduate reach the 5-Star General rank. They have many Medal of Honor winners, Nobel Prize winner, Secretary Of Defesense, Secretary of State, former AF Chief of Staff, the most famous Marine Chesty Puller went to VMI, Gen. Patton attended VMI then transferred to USMA, there have been Rhodes Scholars and not just military people but one of fifteen modern-day martyrs listed by the Anglican Church went to VMI, P. Wesley Foster Jr. the CEO and president of Long and Foster, etc.

Yeah I know more generals and admirals have come from USMA and USNA, and also the VT:CC has more Medal of Honor winners, but VMI still has its share of outstanding graduates.

BigRed389

None
jtellez said:
Well lets see, VMI is the only college other then an Academy to have a graduate reach the 5-Star General rank. They have many Medal of Honor winners, Nobel Prize winner, Secretary Of Defesense, Secretary of State, former AF Chief of Staff, the most famous Marine Chesty Puller went to VMI, Gen. Patton attended VMI then transferred to USMA, there have been Rhodes Scholars and not just military people but one of fifteen modern-day martyrs listed by the Anglican Church went to VMI, P. Wesley Foster Jr. the CEO and president of Long and Foster, etc.

Yeah I know more generals and admirals have come from USMA and USNA, and also the VT:CC has more Medal of Honor winners, but VMI still has its share of outstanding graduates.

:sleep_125

SpiderUSMC

jtellez said:
Go VMI.... the #1 public liberal arts college in the US doesn't hurt either.

I'd love to hear that one explained. From my knowledge (as a former student of a college in Virginia) it's not even close to the #1 school in the state.

jtellez

SpiderUSMC said:
I'd love to hear that one explained. From my knowledge (as a former student of a college in Virginia) it's not even close to the #1 school in the state.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/libartco/libartco_pub_brief.php

Top Public Liberal Arts Colleges

1. Virginia Military Institute
2. St. Mary's College of Maryland
3. New College of Florida
4. University of Minnesota–Morris
5. U. of North Carolina–Asheville
6. Richard Stockton Col. of N.J.

Need anymore explaining? I hope that being a former Virginia college student would mean that you know the difference between a liberal arts college and a regular university/college right? Also the difference between a public and a private liberal arts college?

SpiderUSMC

I most certainly know the difference. I guess it just seemed to me the statement was fairly misleading. Most people in the casual converstaion aren't using the U.S. News and World Report definition and use "college" and "university" interchangeably.

Mistakes like that are easy to make. You seemed to take from my post that I went to UVA. I didn't. I went to the school that was until recently US N&WR's top liberal arts private school in the south. Then we changed to full university status with them. Considering we didn't change a single thing about our school, to me it shows that their "categories" aren't really a good way to judge a school. An overall comparison usually is more helpful.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jtellez said:

I agree that VMI has had many distingushed graduates, but you might want to rethink your approach to talking the school up. People on this site have (and in some cases still do) attended many fine colleges and universities. And many of us who have been out in the 'real world' for the last few years realize that what school you went to doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot. I am proud of where I went to school but it ain't the be all to end all. If you really think that way about your school then you are a sad little.....:D

And if memory serves me right, four VMI graduates have earned the Medal of Honor (3 were in the Civil War and one in the Korean War, all that from a single visit to the museum 15 years ago :D ). Many?!

Edit: After finally getting around to reading jtellez bio I see that he is still in high school. With that kind of background I now realize that I wasted 5 minutes of my life writing the above response for no purpose. Jtellez, after you go through the rat line, get your ring, graduate and spend a few years in the real world, come back and continue this conversation. Until then, worry about what you are going to wear to the prom.....

pilotvmi

jtellez, you haven't graduated yet. Wait until you graduate and see for yourself what VMI has done for you. And please dont compare which school had the most medal of honor winners...thats kinda lame. And that whole liberal art school ranking is stupid. We all made fun of that stupid ranking when I was a cadet. I've never even heard of any of those other schools. And it made no sense to us engineering types who stayed up all hours of the night studying while the liberal arts dudes were watching dvd's on their laptops. Wait until you've been there before you start talking it up. And when you do, dont do it in a way that you have been. Frankly, no body cares that I went to VMI out here in meridian. Same goes for everybody else. Its surprised me actually when I first started flight school what a great team atmosphere it was. And one great thing about going to VMI is the rivalry with the Citadel. The football games were great. We got to do a corps trip to Charlotte and go out on the town and watch a great game.

ELCID05

Well put BLWLE. The games in Charlotte were a blast. They stopped doing them for some reason. It was nice while it lasted though. Partying in Charlotte with the VMI guys is one of the best memories I have from my time at The Citadel.