• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VMI, The Citadel, or VTCC?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I'm in a bit of a quandarry. I have three colleges who have been showing a lot of interest, and I am more than happy to go to all three of them. I was just wondering if anybody on the forums has any experience with Virginia Military Institute, The Citadel, or Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets and whether or not you could offer any advice as to which college I should apply to. :)

http://www.vmi.edu

http://www.vtcc.vt.edu

http://www.citadel.edu

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Apply to all, and see which ones you get into, then start from there. If you are going to apply to rotc, you may want to conisder applying to some more "traditional" schools/rotc programs as well so you have several types of options.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
you may want to conisder applying to some more "traditional" schools/rotc programs as well so you have several types of options.

Yep, they're great schools and experiences, but a "normal" college life through NROTC at a non-military school is a lot more fun and more well rounded, in my estimation at least. Look at all your options before only looking at military schools.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can't go wrong with any of those schools. All are top notch.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My roommate in Primary did the VT cadet thing. He said it was great, he go the cadet-discipline deal, plus the 'normal' college experience (frat guy all the way). He did show me his day-to-day uniform, that thing is HEINOUS.

SlickAg

pilot
My running mate this summer went to the Citadel to play football but ended up not playing b/c athletes sort of do their own thing and he wanted to do the Corps more than he wanted to play football.

If you're really serious about those schools you should go visit them. Go to VMI and see if you would like being in Lexington. Go visit the Citadel and talk to the cadets there. Also, talk to the athletes at those schools and see how they like it. Nothing can beat a visit to see which one would fit you best. If they're recruiting you, don't you get official visits anyway?

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator
I used to go to The Citadel but didn't graduate due to unforseen circumstances beyond my control. That aside,I can tell you that it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. SlickAg is right though. You should go visit them and see what cadet life is all about first hand. For the Citadel, I visited them first. I spent the weekend with a 'Knob' freshman cadet and basically following him around the whole weekend. My 'knob' was not given any slack just because I was there so I got to see all the yelling and everything else that comes with being a 'knob'. Overall, for me, it was a good experience and an eye opener to see what I was getting myself into. I know there are a few other Citadel grads on here who can also chime in with their advice. If you need to know anything specific about The Citadel, just shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to answer your questions. Good Luck, have fun and keep an open mind.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Don't forget about Norwich University.

www.norwich.edu

Possibly the most beautiful campus I've ever been on. Some of the best times of my life happened at that school. Also, it's the birthplace of ROTC so there's a ton of history and tradition.

My $0.02.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I went to VMI, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me. It was definately an experience and I am very glad I went there. Dont believe all of what the website tells you though. I used to do recruiting trips for them when I was a cadet there. (Somehow I managed to get more people to want to go by telling the "real story" as opposed to normal admissions crap.) All in all, it was the coolest thing I would never do again.

bulldozer3

pilot
i was in the corps at VT, you can message me for specific info if you like. I would definitly recomend it over the all military schools, but everyones different. You do the corps thing 9-5 M-F for the most part, then you go out and get drunk at the bar, go to the game, your girlfriends apt, etc.
That being said, the corps was quite annoying to me, but some loved it. The great part was it was just a small part of the school, so there were so many other things you can do. Some get really involved into the corps, and thats all they do (kinda like their own little citadel or vmi), and some are in it cause they have to for rotc (me)... your call after freshman year.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I graduated from the Citadel, it was a great experience and I have never regretted it. I second the suggestion to spend a might or two at each campus (we called it pre-knob, but all of them should have some way to visit). The visit was a big part of my final decision.

PM me if you have any questions.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
My biggest problem with visiting these schools is that they are all on the East Coast and I live in Cali. I am in school during all of the weekends I can visit so I am pretty much screwed. I'm trying to go visit at least the Citadel and Virginia Tech as I will be in NC over winter break, but then I will lose out on seeing all the cadets during normal school hours.

Also, thanks a lot to all of you for your advice.

Navyfan06

pilot
I am a currently a cadet at The Citadel. If you want information PM me. Good luck in your college serch.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Met with some alumni and the head of admissions from VMI about two weeks ago. I gotta say that I was impressed. I think I also impressed them because they are going to set me up with the football coach and want me to come out and visit. Thank you very much to everyone who weighed in with their advice. This is definitely going to be a hard decision.

rey007

Vmi 2000

Hi former member of the class of 2000, the last all male class at VMI. Where in Cali are you at? I am also in California, living in Barstow, but commute up to northern California every month. I can tell you about all the good things and the bad things about VMI, it will surprise you to find out about the people on the Alumni list. Its a challenge but it is an experience that no one ever forgets. And it is one that will benefit you for the rest of your life regardless of whether you enter the military or not.
e-mail: rey007vmi2000@aol.com