• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF or Naval Aviation?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting. However, I'm sure that is only the airframe/engine itself. The "stuff" we carry now accounts for a great deal of money. In this day and age, if you don't include the sensors to the cost for any recon asset, you've basically purchased a cool trainer that doesn't do much other than convert jet fuel to noise and fun.
Our Class A mishap 2 years ago cost us a full sensor suite. That takes time and lots of $$$ to overcome.

Same for UAVs, cost of air frame can be rivalled if not exceeded by the sensor package costs.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
It's very physical, and some of the control movements are not "finesse" movements. Add to that a crappy air conditioner, poor visibility, terrible ergonomics, and you've got an aircraft that only a mother could love.

Man, P-3 guys gotta love that thing!

Answer me this, do your flight instruments, radios, etc, tend to change position from plane to plane?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
They are BOTH good .... Naval Aviation is better. Better for a whole bunch of reasons; possibly GREAT.

Q.E.D.

MasterBates

I don't mean to be an a-hole, but your dad is talking out his ass.

I am 6'4" 255# and I fit in the smallest jet we have (T-45)

HuggyU2

None
For the USAF (if I remember correctly), the number are 238 lbs, and 6' 5". They're starting to get stricter on those numbers, but I've flown with guys that were probably ~280 lbs,... albeit a few years ago.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
For the USAF (if I remember correctly)?!?!?!, the number are 238 lbs, and 6' 5". They're starting to get stricter on those numbers, but I've flown with guys that were probably ~280 lbs,... albeit a few years ago.

WTF? We brought you on board (that's like "on board" a ship, a nautical term) to be the expert on the Air Force. You better get your sh!t together. :D:D:D

MasterBates

I think the numbers to start Naval Aviator Training without a waiver is 235#. Beyond that, there are ejection seat waivers and such. I BELIEVE but don't KNOW that NFO's have a seat waiver at around 210 due to the the T-2.

HuggyU2

None
WTF? We brought you on board (that's like "on board" a ship, a nautical term) to be the expert on the Air Force. You better get sh!t together. :D:D:D
OK, OK, OK!!! I'll start verifying my shizzle before I post. Geeeeezzzz!!

Plus,... don't you know??,.... donuts cause memory loss. :eek:

And, now that I'm "onboard", do I have to "swab the deck,... matey"?

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
I don't mean to be an a-hole, but your dad is talking out his ass.

I am 6'4" 255# and I fit in the smallest jet we have (T-45)

Wow, MB. . . you're a fat ass:D Does the trailer lean and groan when you embark? By the way, the T-45 is spacious compared to the A-4. I am totally average Ht/Wt and I thought the A-4 cockpit was small.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... I am totally average Ht/Wt and I thought the A-4 cockpit was small.
I loved how the Navy always seemed to put the biggest guys in the A-4 and the smallest guys in the F-4/A-6 .... crazy.

The ONLY 'anthro' we ever had was sitting height for the TA-4 vs. the TF-9 ... some marginally height challenged guys would stick newspaper in their U-trou to "heighten" themselves in an attempt to go to the TA-4 vice the TF-9 as a STUD. :D