• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF or Naval Aviation?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We land on boats. They freak out if the runway is less than 8,000 feet.

Not this U-2 guy

JPGS%5CLockheed%20U-2%5Clanding%20on.jpg

Not an everyday occurence for sure but it was done (not a photoshop image)

carrier_01.jpg

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
My kids are young, but I tell them to go AF all the way. They actually keep their crew day rules intact! Seriously, the Navy/MC is a lot of work. Nothing is actually 'hi-tech' and nothing is usually "new." That being said, if you like to work at something and succeed and get the credit, it's a great place. Oh, yeah, and they used to do wacky stuff like land C-130s on ship. I still want to see the video of the Tomcat that launched via a deck run!

Don't take pressure form anybody. Even my high school guidance counselor called me into his office to admonish me on the ways of the Corps (something about me being too smart). Anyway, here I am 7 years later with a much better life than pretty much everybody I went to school with, especially the males who decided to stay back and work in their daddy's body shops. What rank/MOS was your dad in the Gulf War? You have to think about what "filters" he's using. If you manage to become an aviator, you can expect your experience to vary greatly. Remember, that was 15 damn years ago. I'm becoming an aviator because a) it's been a life-long goal b) I want to LEAD MARINES more than I want to fly and c) I'm friggin tired of sleeping in holes in the ground and on HMMWV hoods. You will meet no better friends than you will get in the Marine Corps. I suppose you can make friends in the Air Force as well, but growing up in an Air Force town taught me that their ratio of true men capable of combat leadership to cock-mongling wannabes was a bit askew. Just go over to base-ops with your dork shield firmly in place and you'll figure out what I mean. And it's not just about machismo either. It's about who you are in spirit, but I'm not going to go into that. Do what seems best to you and when you do, don't regret going against your dad's wishes.
I agree with you exactly! I made up my mind years ago to become one of the few; but, out of respect for my dad I have given the AF a half-sideways-passing-glance. So what I am courious to know is why did each of you go the way you did. Sorry for the poor intro post.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Doesn't stop as an aviator my man... Slept on the hood/roof of my truck in Djibouti, Jordan, and Pakistan - And I was a winged Aviator. There are always FAC tours...

Yeah, I know...but let me have my dreams. By the time I get that far, I'll be motivated enough to do it. I have great fun in the field, but I was just making a point.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I used to work for Rear Admiral Jim Flatley when we was the CEO of USS Yorktown in Charleston...he was the pilot.....said he would rather been flying a jet with a tailhook.

Did you do a history internship at the Yorktown?

Admiral Flatley spoke to my NROTC leadership class. Probably learned more about leadership in that one hour long session than in most of the classes I sat through, combined... Best part was, he showed us a video of that carrier landing with the Herc to back up his point about professional aptitude... In being the best possible officer you could be, no matter what your job. We were in awe of him after that.

tlord82

pilot
So what I am courious to know is why did each of you go the way you did.

I joined NROTC as a Navy option and stayed that way till halfway through my Junior year. I became interested in the Marines my sophomore year thanks to our motivated (and slightly crazy) MOI, good midshipmen, and great enlisted Marines in the MECEP program. The spirit and motivation of those in the Marine program were far above the Navy types.
Like you, when I brought up my desire to change with my dad, he was not enthusiastic for many of the same reasons your dad gave (though he was not a prior Marine). My mom was even more set against it (something to do with first in, last out) But after multiple conversations, it came down to my decision and I made it and have never regretted it. My dad is very proud of what I am doing and I am sure that your dad will be the same regardless of the service you choose.
If you're thinking Marine because of the warrior ethos , spirit, and leadership, you're on the right track...semper fi.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
he showed us a video of that carrier landing with the Herc to back up his point about professional aptitude...

Wait... They landed that pig on the carrier? I thought they put it on the deck while she was in port...

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Now that man has some big stones... Did they just use the entire length of the ship combined with reversing the props/panic stomping the brakes?