• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF Enlisted Pilots, The Right Stuff, Stolen Bikes, AIC, and SWO pipe dreams.

BigRed389

None
I think it’s quaint you still believe you will actually be the one engaging OPFOR surface vessels...

Well...caps and lims have changed quite a bit in the last few years.

It's all about strategic planning, as a force. As in, what has the (fill in the blank) community prioritized and worked towards over the years? The SURFOR is less segmented than AIRFOR. Makes funding decisions much easier to execute.

OK that as a general statement seems logical.

Back to my initial question though? A line USN DDG vs a line PLAN DDG; or a line USN fighter vs a line PLAN fighter? The answer is pretty clear to anyone that's been paying attention.

Depends on a mix of what variant, and what they're tasked to do would be my answer.
Yeah a B/L 9 ship can do anything and everything, but there are only so many, and as an extreme example, we both know a B/L 7 ship is pretty much shit at individual ship to ship combat.

But to tie it in to the previous point, I'm not sure how much NAVAIR community structure is to blame for any perceived USN vs PLANAF TACAIR disparity you may see.
Their weapon systems are heavily tied to Joint program requirements (AMRAAM/JSF) and the decision making creating the force they have today was made in a completely different geopolitical environment.

Equally, I'm not sure how much of SURFOR program successes are more properly attributed to sheer dumb luck rather than visionary strategic planning.
For example, DDG-1000 was pretty clearly a major strategic fuck up, as was to some extent, LCS. And I happen to know one of our big wins absolutely was dumb luck of a program being in the right place at the right time when a need popped up.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Your words, not mine.
I’m just hoping your reading comprehension is a little better at work than on line...
My whole point was a broad stroke at NA vs Surface Navy. You can keep focusing on the MPRA slice all you want, to dodge my larger point about the culture within our respective community. My point still stands.

azguy

None
When was the last time the surface navy shot down a plane or sank a submarine?

We closed the AEGIS kill chain and shot down some cruise missiles last year in the Red Sea.

Our ASW capability is ever-shaping "red's" operations in many AORs today.

I maintain that the "tactical" mindset of the MH-60S community is a total joke and all they do is Starboard D, VERTREP, and PAXFER, but please, prove me wrong!

Treetop Flyer

pilot
We closed the AEGIS kill chain and shot down some cruise missiles last year in the Red Sea.

Our ASW capability is ever-shaping "red's" operations in many AORs today.

I maintain that the "tactical" mindset of the MH-60S community is a total joke and all they do is Starboard D, VERTREP, and PAXFER, but please, prove me wrong!
I’m not trying to defend 60’s. As far as I know that’s mostly what they do. As far as I know destroyers mostly launch tomohawks and collide with other ships.

None of that has to do with your parochialism claim. Seriously, what the hell are you trying to say?

azguy

None
I’m not trying to defend 60’s. As far as I know that’s mostly what they do. As far as I know destroyers mostly launch tomohawks and collide with other ships.

None of that has to do with your parochialism claim. Seriously, what the hell are you trying to say?

Collide with other ships? Please. Let's look at how many aviation class A's there have been in the last 10 years, compared to surface ship class A's.

With my parochialism argument - it's nothing to do with mishaps, but everything to do with how effective we are at the "high end fight."

Here's a hint - helo guys don't really have a seat at the table when we talk about the "high end fight."

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Collide with other ships? Please. Let's look at how many aviation class A's there have been in the last 10 years, compared to surface ship class A's.

With my parochialism argument - it's nothing to do with mishaps, but everything to do with how effective we are at the "high end fight."

Here's a hint - helo guys don't really have a seat at the table when we talk about the "high end fight."
Instead of a hint how about you say what you mean. Once again, what the fuck are you talking about?

azguy

None
I’m just hoping your reading comprehension is a little better at work than on line...
My whole point was a broad stroke at NA vs Surface Navy. You can keep focusing on the MPRA slice all you want, to dodge my larger point about the culture within our respective community. My point still stands.

Be more specific. Are you, an MPRA guy, or is the Helo guy, or the C-2, guy, a real warfighter? What is your specific community argument?

azguy

None
Instead of a hint how about you say what you mean. Once again, what the fuck are you talking about?

This comment was in response to your retarded statement that, "As far as I know destroyers mostly launch tomohawks (sic) and collide with other ships."

I maintain that you are retarded; and that when MH-60S pilots set 'max tactical' they are critical to me getting my Amazon Prime packages in one piece.