• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF Enlisted Pilots, The Right Stuff, Stolen Bikes, AIC, and SWO pipe dreams.

jmcquate

Contributor
If memory serves me, he was also prior enlisted and did a stint with the Old Guard at Ft. Meyer.
MV5BMDZmNDhiYzUtMWI0ZC00ZDYxLTkwN2YtNDI4ZDFhNGU5ZWEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
To my point though, I doubt the difference is a college degree. If you're up against a group of J-11s, would you rather be controlled by N7's resident OS AIC or by the run-of-the-mill E-2 guy?

We love our outliers around here. In your example I would take the OSC, since you said run-of -the-mill E-2 guy. Give me the option between the AIC LT on TOPGUN staff or the OSC and that one is a toss up.

Now take a group of 50 OS's and 50 NFOs and I'll take the tube rats every time. I've spent a bit of time on CRUDES or working with the OS's in port because they were not good. They were not bad because they wanted to be bad but because their leadership didn't give them the time to develop and refine their skills. We tried to take them to AIRWING Fallon with us but they weren't allowed because they literally had to stay back to chip paint. As a customer during many of those large scale, multi-national, ADEXs you spoke of I have been consistently disappointed by OS control. Not so much from the NFOs.

BigRed389

None
We love our outliers around here. In your example I would take the OSC, since you said run-of -the-mill E-2 guy. Give me the option between the AIC LT on TOPGUN staff or the OSC and that one is a toss up.

Now take a group of 50 OS's and 50 NFOs and I'll take the tube rats every time. I've spent a bit of time on CRUDES or working with the OS's in port because they were not good. They were not bad because they wanted to be bad but because their leadership didn't give them the time to develop and refine their skills. We tried to take them to AIRWING Fallon with us but they weren't allowed because they literally had to stay back to chip paint. As a customer during many of those large scale, multi-national, ADEXs you spoke of I have been consistently disappointed by OS control. Not so much from the NFOs.

Yes, but how often was the Hummer's radar up? :p

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Like this guy! The only Navy enlisted sailor to ever receive the Navy Distinguished Service Medal for combat action.

I think part of the problem is those TOPGUN OS controllers are supposed to go back to the fleet to teach the young'uns. I just don't think they are making enough of them. The OSC on CAG staff is supposed to be a level 5. I don't think I've ever actually seen an OS patch on CAG staff. I'm sure they exist but I never saw one. Those guys are the ones who are ultimately in charge of training the strike group's AICs.

exNavyOffRec

When I was recruiting enlisted years ago the OS's were the jobs people could get with very low ASVAB scores, some of the OS CPO's I dealt with were not the brightest, made my head hurt.

BigRed389

None
When I was recruiting enlisted years ago the OS's were the jobs people could get with very low ASVAB scores, some of the OS CPO's I dealt with were not the brightest, made my head hurt.

Huh...it's ironic...because they are about as close in spirit to enlisted pilots as you can get.

Non-technician rate, don't have to do any maintenance, and their main purpose in life is to learn how to operate various warfare areas IAW the TTP's and mash buttons.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Huh...it's ironic...because they are about as close in spirit to enlisted pilots as you can get.

Non-technician rate, don't have to do any maintenance, and their main purpose in life is to learn how to operate various warfare areas IAW the TTP's and mash buttons.
I think FE’s are a much more realistic comparison, and I’d trust most of them (qualified) to fly in a pinch (in fact it was in my brief in case of an emergency affecting the other pilot on a PPT flight, I’d put the FE in the seat)...

Their job was to know the plane, fuel plan, and have good dick jokes...

azguy

None
I think part of the problem is those TOPGUN OS controllers are supposed to go back to the fleet to teach the young'uns. I just don't think they are making enough of them. The OSC on CAG staff is supposed to be a level 5. I don't think I've ever actually seen an OS patch on CAG staff. I'm sure they exist but I never saw one. Those guys are the ones who are ultimately in charge of training the strike group's AICs.

This is a well informed post. OS's have to fight for controller spots in the schoolhouse with VAW and USAF guys. Guess who gets priority?

To my earlier point, an OS, with the same training and experience as an NFO, does just as well. When I need to task someone to chip paint, I'll pick the OS3, just ahead of the NFO. As a result, their AIC proficiency suffers a bit.

azguy

None
Absolutely the former. My experience seems to the be exception in the VFA community, but I've worked with a handful of OS controllers who were VASTLY superior to any E-2 types I've ever come across. One of them did happen to be a multi-tour N7 instructor and the others were mostly people he trained though.

We're all products of our experience. The brown shoe navy is extremely parochial...to their own detriment.

An officer in a flightsuit must be better than an E-dog in blue cammies, right?

robav8r

None
Contributor
We're all products of our experience. The brown shoe navy is extremely parochial...to their own detriment.

An officer in a flightsuit must be better than an E-dog in blue cammies, right?
99.9% of the time, abso-fucking-lutely.

robav8r

None
Contributor
When I need to task someone to chip paint, I'll pick the OS3, just ahead of the NFO. As a result, their AIC proficiency suffers a bit.
Well, the OS3 needs to maintain his paint-chipping proficiency as well. You don't expect aviators to do that shit, do you?