• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF Enlisted Pilots, The Right Stuff, Stolen Bikes, AIC, and SWO pipe dreams.

Pags

N/A
pilot
A lot of learning to fly and learning tactics reminded me of similar lines of thinking to skills I learned in band and choir growing up. Despite not being a sport, music can still involve teamwork, mastering an individual role, and an organized way of interpreting and translating information into action in a way that's not necessarily intuitive. It can also foster a healthy sense of competition, similar to sports. Sports are probably more commonly used as an indicator because it's almost universal for kids to play sports growing up.

Yep, I'm a nerd, and it's worked out pretty well so far.
I never did anything musical in school but now having taken some guitar lessons I can see the parallels. Early lessons are contacts and as you get better with your instrument you're moving to advanced and the RAG. At some point you join a band/orchestra/choir and learn to make music with a larger group and move up from the lower chairs to first chair just as one would move from wingman, to section lead, division lead, strike lead, etc.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It certainly wasn't alleged, I was in the Prowler squadron that relieved his and we suffered from the same affliction. Apparently it hasn't gotten any better as the years have gone by either, I talked to a KC-130 pilot a few months ago about it and he said bike theft had reached new levels of stupid there.
Since CVW-5 is moving there from Atsugi I can only imagine there will be plenty of new bikes. Of course, we all know there's only one thief. Everyone else is just trying to get their shit back.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They need to put up some security cameras and start holding people accountable. The level of acceptance by the base leadership (at the time) was absolutely ridiculous.

This thread is all over the map. :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They need to put up some security cameras and start holding people accountable. The level of acceptance by the base leadership (at the time) was absolutely ridiculous.

Threadjacks . . . an AWs tradition.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I never did anything musical in school but now having taken some guitar lessons I can see the parallels. Early lessons are contacts and as you get better with your instrument you're moving to advanced and the RAG. At some point you join a band/orchestra/choir and learn to make music with a larger group and move up from the lower chairs to first chair just as one would move from wingman, to section lead, division lead, strike lead, etc.

Been playing guitar and other stringed instruments for over 20 years. Never. Ever. Ever...make this comparison again. I threw up in my mouth a little bit. You made me retaste my beer, even if only momentarily. :eek: Music is not a linear thing! Go join a band now, don't wait for the RAG, whatever the fuck that would be in music. You'll learn a shit ton from playing with a band, even if you suck ass.

Break, break...any drummers in San Diego??

What the hell does any of this have to do with James Earl Jones?????????

giphy.gif

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
A lot of learning to fly and learning tactics reminded me of similar lines of thinking to skills I learned in band and choir growing up. Despite not being a sport, music can still involve teamwork, mastering an individual role, and an organized way of interpreting and translating information into action in a way that's not necessarily intuitive. It can also foster a healthy sense of competition, similar to sports. Sports are probably more commonly used as an indicator because it's almost universal for kids to play sports growing up.

Yep, I'm a nerd, and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Yeah, I left music out it, but obviously if something improves your hand-eye coordination, then it can help with your flying abilities.

A few of the old, crusty, sim guys in Meridian told me that they saw a noticed improvement in flying abilities about the same time video games started getting really big.

If a kid ever asks me what it takes to be a pilot I tell them to do well in school, and play sports. Or video games. That last part usually makes their moms not so happy.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

I’d probably laugh at some dude that got his bike stolen too.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
So, if you are a warrant officer or enlisted without a degree, but you play video games or a musical instrument, know how to ride a bike (stolen or purchased), you should apply for a flying program because you will be pushed to the front of the line to run an AOC. Does that sum it up?

Edit: I forgot sports.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
So, if you are a warrant officer or enlisted without a degree, but you play video games or a musical instrument, know how to ride a bike (stolen or purchased), you should apply for a flying program because you will be pushed to the front of the line to run an AOC. Does that sum it up?

Edit: I forgot sports.

That's a perfect place to leave this thread.

fuckthisbike.jpg

azguy

None
Just to be clear, that E-5 is telling me to 'Commit' because his SUP, or the FTAO, or AW himself is telling him to say it. (Hint: I've been in Combat on several CRUDES during large scale DCAs).

Ironically, to your point, the more that's going on (especially on the SM engagement side), the more air control that we'll task shed to the AIC. Excuse me for not deferring to, what sounds like, your vast experience of managing a large scale ADEX from the AMDC perspective.

To answer your other question: "What this has to do with flying a plane?"...Well...nothing.

azguy

None
Sigh.... If you want to talk about your OS controllers, get a helmet, because it ain't gonna be pretty.

Happy to discuss in a thread split or via PM. I'm familiar with your sentiment and have heard it all before (generically, like this) from the VFA crowd, but having run shipboard and airborne controllers, the difference simply isn't intuitive to me.

To my point though, I doubt the difference is a college degree. If you're up against a group of J-11s, would you rather be controlled by N7's resident OS AIC or by the run-of-the-mill E-2 guy?