• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated list of things to bring?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
This is probably one of the only times when you might be better off underdressed than overdressed. Don't wear anything nice that could get screwed up running around, tucked into socks, etc.

And when packing civvies (which you won't wear at OCS until graduation) keep in mind that seasons change and stuff.

This is probably one of the only times when you might be better off underdressed than overdressed. Don't wear anything nice that could get screwed up running around, tucked into socks, etc.

And when packing civvies (which you won't wear at OCS until graduation) keep in mind that seasons change and stuff.

My point exactly.

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
I'm just all over the place with packing. I am going to follow suit with determined15 and wear sweats. They are both comfortable and can be tucked into socks. As for civilian clothes for graduation, aren't we in uniform on graduation? I think I read somewhere on here that when they let you out at liberty you should have a set of civvies for that, is that true, or you go on liberty in your PT gear or should I say navy issued clothing? :)

I'm just all over the place with packing. I am going to follow suit with determined15 and wear sweats. They are both comfortable and can be tucked into socks. As for civilian clothes for graduation, aren't we in uniform on graduation? I think I read somewhere on here that when they let you out at liberty you should have a set of civvies for that, is that true, or you go on liberty in your PT gear or should I say navy issued clothing? :)

I'm not too sure about liberty and civies and how that works. To be honest, I'm just packing something to report in and something to put on when i check out. If need be, I'm sure I can pick up something at the NEX.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
You'll wear your uniform for liberty, and for graduation, but after you actually commission, you'll want to change into civvies to throw everything into your car and drive home. Unless you're Supply, since you're staying in Newport. My roommate had to get out of his whites and into his khakis and report right after the commissioning.

EDIT: To clarify, from the time you check in to the time you commission, you won't be wearing civvies, unless you get special liberty to leave for a funeral or if your wife is giving birth or something. All regular liberty is done in uniform, usually khakis, although we wore summer whites for 4th of July liberty.

skittle986

You'll wear your uniform for liberty, and for graduation, but after you actually commission, you'll want to change into civvies to throw everything into your car and drive home. Unless you're Supply, since you're staying in Newport. My roommate had to get out of his whites and into his khakis and report right after the commissioning.

EDIT: To clarify, from the time you check in to the time you commission, you won't be wearing civvies, unless you get special liberty to leave for a funeral or if your wife is giving birth or something. All regular liberty is done in uniform, usually khakis, although we wore summer whites for 4th of July liberty.

ok, wow! he had absolutely no break

skittle986

I have a seabag, should I use that to put all my things I bring to OCS or bring a bag that is easily distinguished from everyone else? Or it doesn't matter

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I have a seabag, should I use that to put all my things I bring to OCS or bring a bag that is easily distinguished from everyone else? Or it doesn't matter
Seabag should work well. Whatever bag you use for your lucky bag, make sure it's labelled distinctively, some sort of brightly colored tag maybe, so you can easily tell it apart. Some of the priors in your class might also use their seabags as lucky bags, so make sure yours stands out.

skittle986

Seabag should work well. Whatever bag you use for your lucky bag, make sure it's labelled distinctively, some sort of brightly colored tag maybe, so you can easily tell it apart. Some of the priors in your class might also use their seabags as lucky bags, so make sure yours stands out.

Ok. Thanks. So you can't leave your lucky bag in your car?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Ok. Thanks. So you can't leave your lucky bag in your car?
Well you could, but then you couldn't get to it when you make lucky bag runs. You can leave an entirely different bag in your car for POV runs, though. Things that your class team will eventually let you have (watches and cell phones), or extra clothing items or toiletries or whatnot, should go in your lucky bag so you can access it from time to time when they let you. POV runs are usually rarer, so if there's something in there that you need, you might have to wait a bit longer, maybe even until candio phase.

skittle986

Well you could, but then you couldn't get to it when you make lucky bag runs. You can leave an entirely different bag in your car for POV runs, though. Things that your class team will eventually let you have (watches and cell phones), or extra clothing items or toiletries or whatnot, should go in your lucky bag so you can access it from time to time when they let you. POV runs are usually rarer, so if there's something in there that you need, you might have to wait a bit longer, maybe even until candio phase.

Ok. Thank you!

Surf

pilot
For those that took the airlines there and back, how did you go about your return flight? I'm thinking the easiest way would be to just buy the return flight for the friday of graduation along with the flight there. Or is purchasing the ticket in the Candi-O phase wiser?

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
Well you could, but then you couldn't get to it when you make lucky bag runs. You can leave an entirely different bag in your car for POV runs, though.
So if I'm not bringing my car, should I bring two bags into OCS, one to hold all of the things I can have right away (undies, toiletries) and one for the stuff I'll get to have later (alarm clock, etc.)?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
So if I'm not bringing my car, should I bring two bags into OCS, one to hold all of the things I can have right away (undies, toiletries) and one for the stuff I'll get to have later (alarm clock, etc.)?
Yep that should work out pretty well

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Not sure if this information is buried somewhere on the site or not.

OCS is no longer issuing hygiene gear. You can use what you bring or purchase some at the mini NEX on Indoc Sunday. Keep in mind the mini NEX stocks very little, so if you are picky bring your own.