• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

University of Texas

xtreme_rob

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
I am a FY10 STA-21 Pilot Applicant, and have contacted UT Austin admissions requesting guidance for applying for admission.
I am currently enrolled in AMU (American Military University), an online college. I have 43 credits, most of which are Transfer Credits, awarded from my SMART transcript, that took the place of all of my electives. I enrolled at AMU last year so that I could start to get some of my basics out of the way before trying to get picked up for STA-21. I was told I must apply as a transfer student, but I would only be considered if 30 of my credits transfered to UT. They also said that most military credits do not transfer, so I would most likely be ineligible. Is there anyway around this? It seems that by starting classes, I've screwed myself. I otherwise could have applied as a Freshman. As an enlisted in the military, it is quite normal for people to enroll in online colleges to get the basics out of the way. I don't see why there are military waivers and aid for tuition, but not for admission.
ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I am a FY10 STA-21 Pilot Applicant, and have contacted UT Austin admissions requesting guidance for applying for admission.
I am currently enrolled in AMU (American Military University), an online college. I have 43 credits, most of which are Transfer Credits awarded, from my SMART transcript, that took the place of all of my electives. I enrolled at AMU last year so that I could start to get some of my basics out of the way before trying to get picked up for STA-21. My SAT composite score was 27 (why does this matter??). I was told I must apply as a transfer student, but I would only be considered if 30 of my credits transfered to UT. They also said that most military credits do not transfer, so I would most likely be ineligible. Is there anyway around this? It seems that by starting classes, I've screwed myself. I otherwise could have applied as a Freshman.(why is this bad/good??) As an enlisted in the military, it is quite normal for people to enroll in online colleges to get the basics out of the way. I don't see why there are military waivers and aid for tuition, but not for admission.
ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I'm not sure I get your problem. If UT doesn't take AMU credits, then that's it. I know that ODU doesn't take many of them (unless you're a nuke). Apply as a Freshman and make sure that you get a degree plan stating that you can grad in 36 months.

It doesn't matter to STA-21 what type of student your admission letter states. Lots of people get screwed out of credits based on accreditation...if ODU does it, I'm sure that UT has high standards.

xtreme_rob

I am ineligible to apply as a freshman because I have already been enrolled elsewhere. The ONLY way I can go is as a transfer student...
but thanks...
I'm not sure I get your problem. If UT doesn't take AMU credits, then that's it. I know that ODU doesn't take many of them (unless you're a nuke). Apply as a Freshman and make sure that you get a degree plan stating that you can grad in 36 months.

It doesn't matter to STA-21 what type of student your admission letter states. Lots of people get screwed out of credits based on accreditation...if ODU does it, I'm sure that UT has high standards.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
I am ineligible to apply as a freshman because I have already been enrolled elsewhere. The ONLY way I can go is as a transfer student...
but thanks...

Is it possible to apply but not send them your AMU transcripts until after your first year?

xtreme_rob

I also asked that when I spoke to one of the admissions counselors. They kept pushing that I HAD to apply as a transfer student. I am hoping I can submit a letter of appeal so that perhaps they will grant me Freshman admission, considering the circumstances.
Is it possible to apply but not send them your AMU transcripts until after your first year?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
but thanks...

Sorry if I misunderstood your question. Most regionally accredited colleges don't accept a lot of credits, espcially from nationally accredited schools like AMU.

My advice to you is that you have to make a trade off. You can try to find a school that will accept more of your credits, or you can take some courses over again at UT. Either way STA-21 doesn't care if you are an XFer student or a Freshman as long as you have a valid degree plan.

By the way, if you go to BOOST, your English and Math Pre-req's are taken care of, so don't worry about it...36 months is longer than you think. I had 0 college when I applied and still can finish an engineering degree.

xtreme_rob

Thats what I plan to do, if actually allowed to enroll as a freshman. How do they decide who gets enrolled in BOOST?
I know AMU is only an online college, but they're now regionally accredited. I think it happened at the end of '07 or early '08
Sorry if I misunderstood your question. Most regionally accredited colleges don't accept a lot of credits, espcially from nationally accredited schools like AMU.

My advice to you is that you have to make a trade off. You can try to find a school that will accept more of your credits, or you can take some courses over again at UT. Either way STA-21 doesn't care if you are an XFer student or a Freshman as long as you have a valid degree plan.

By the way, if you go to BOOST, your English and Math Pre-req's are taken care of, so don't worry about it...36 months is longer than you think. I had 0 college when I applied and still can finish an engineering degree.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Rob,
UT is pretty hard to deal with as a transfer student. I am from Austin but started school in New Mexico. After I started I thought I would like to go back home, but transferring into UT proved difficult for the same reasons you described.

If you can get away with it try applying as a freshman and just tell the admissions dept. that you have never been to school. Count those transfer credits as a loss. After your first or second semester you may be able to get them transferred, but if you want to go to Texas you may just have to take those classes over again.

If you need any other advice concerning the Texas admissions process PM me, I can try and help you get through the BS.

Bevo16

pilot
Hell, getting into Texas as a freshman is no walk in the park these days. There is a reason that schools like Texas Tech, OU, and Oakie Lite are getting so big. Not everyone can get into Texas.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
I know this is a long shot, but I know people who have bypassed the admissions people by going to the dean of the college they were trying to get into. Sometimes deans make exceptions that admission folks won't. worth a shot if all else fails. present your argument like a business plan.

*edit*
I mean dean of the college within the university; i.e. dean of social sciences, dean of chem etc

Bevo16

pilot
But Bevo, they let YOU in :eek:

That was 11 years ago. It is harder to get in now. No kidding, I would not want to apply under today's standards. The "Top 10% Rule" changed everything and a huge percentage of each year's freshman class is automatic due to their class rank. If you finish out of that percentage, you are pretty much screwed. I was 10th in my graduating class, but there were only 40 of us (19 honor graduates).

Lucky for me, I picked up enough math before flunking out of nuke school to knock the SAT out of the park. That was what put me over the top.

TwosBlind

I transfered into UT after my freshman year, and I am just finishing up my 5th year of college because I lost a semester and a half of credits that weren't accepted. Unfortunately, I cant offer much advice, but i can tell you I feel your pain. Its a great school, but youre just a number, you'll always be just a number, and they genuinely dont give a fuck who you are or what you want. You either qualify or you dont....its just business. Good luck though, as with anything if you want it bad enough you know what to do.

jl08

pilot
I know I am probably walking into a firestorm posting this here but I encountered the same problem when applying to A&M after separating from the Navy. Admissions told me that I was neither a freshman or a transfer student so I couldn't apply until I had more classes. I ended up going to a community college for a few semesters and then transferring but I know since you are applying for STA-21 you can't do that. I would try and contact the Veterans Association at the school and talk to someone about your situation. I don't know about t.u but they are working on something at A&M that makes provisions for veterans in this situation. You might get the door slammed in your face but it doesn't hurt to ask.