• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

University of Texas

AliCat08

MMN1, FY 2009 STA-21 NFO candidate
If you are selected for STA-21 and you want to get to Austin it would be in your best interest to go to Huston-Tillotson University. The STA/MECEP's do very well at HTU. After a couple of semesters you can transfer to UT. Ensure the classes you take at HTU will apply to a degree at UT. This will require research on your part. UT will not help you. They have a great university but they are big business and you are just a number. If you have a great GPA from high school and scored very well on the ACT/SAT you may be able to get into UT now, however you need to apply soon because UT will not give you a answer early. Trust me.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
AliCat's advice is SOLID. Going to a cross town affiliate can be a god send, especially in a case like Robs. Alicat can correct me if I am wrong but I believe that you can also crosstown to St. Edwards university. If you can, you might consider St. Eds if you don't like the idea of Huston-Tillotson. St. Eds has a slightly better reputation, if that matters to you.

AliCat08

MMN1, FY 2009 STA-21 NFO candidate
St Edwards is a nice private school, but is not a cross town affiliate. Remeber this Rob. If you are selected for STA-21 you are getting paid to go to college. Austin is a great place to live and if you have to attend HTU for a few semesters, who cares. The upside of HTU is the ratio of students to teachers is about 12:1 vice UT 30:1.

Bevo16

pilot
..and the reputation of the school that you are transferring out of does not matter a lick. The one at graduation will say "The University of Texas" on it, and that is what counts.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Thats what I plan to do, if actually allowed to enroll as a freshman. How do they decide who gets enrolled in BOOST?
I know AMU is only an online college, but they're now regionally accredited. I think it happened at the end of '07 or early '08

The process of selecting people for BOOST is a debated concept. When I went, some people had college, others did not. Some guys had great ACT/SAT scores, some did not. Some were smart guys going for technical degrees, some were not. There were also nukes there, but more nukes DONT go to BOOST than DO. I liked BOOST, Newport blows in the winter, but it gave us time to learn our way around for the summer time (which kicks ass).

The concensus was that most nukes, guys with ~2+ years of college, and people majoring in history/english, etc. DIDNT go to BOOST. Of course there were exceptions...so don't make any plans.

Bevo16

pilot
The process of selecting people for BOOST is a debated concept. When I went, some people had college, others did not. Some guys had great ACT/SAT scores, some did not. Some were smart guys going for technical degrees, some were not. etc...etc...

The BOOST deal is not that tough of a nut. Say there are 300 STA-21 positions that the board is going to fill and 100 BOOST spots (numbers pulled right out of my butt). The board rates the packages and the top contenders go straight to school, the guys below them go to BOOST, and the guys below them apply again next year.

Each package is evaluated as a whole and given a score. After all of the applications are scored, the board takes the cream off the top and do the process over again....and again, until all of the spots are full. There is no magic data point (major, test score, previous college) that puts you in a slot.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Bevo said:
You know what BOOST stands for and the reason it was created, right?

Of course ethnicity comes into play.

After all, diversity is the number one priority of The Naval Academy. It used to be producing highly qualified and well prepared junior officers, but those days are gone. Being worth a damn is not as important as being "diverse".

I didn't until just now. But still Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training doesn't necessarily mean ethnicity / sex are a factor, though I am never surprised when a government run program admits applicants 'with diversity in mind'.

Gardito85

FY-10 STA-21 Applicant
I came to this thread to see if anyone had written anything new about applying to schools. MAN, this got off topic! Haha. All I have to say about it is, I've been in the Navy 6 years, worked my ass off to be a nuke (and a damn good one at that), and even qualified EWS/EDPO as a second class. Now that being said, I really wanna fly, so if the Navy picks me up because I'm cuban, not because I've worked my ass off...fine by me. Haha.

Bevo16

pilot
You are right. Let's get this thing back on track.

The title of the thread was The University of Texas, right?

Go Horns

Beautiful. If you haven't been to the game since they permanently enlarged the Cotton Bowl, I suggest finding tickets for this year. To say that it's loud in there is an understatement.

Bevo16

pilot
OU sucks.

Yes they do.

OBTW,

We installed field turf for this season. Here is a picture:

5370_106079667132_704777132_2563964_1331298_n.jpg