• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I am pretty bad ass with the jacket, especially considering it's an Eastman Leather G-1. Ok, at least the jacket is bad ass. I don't find my khaki shoes to be uncomfortable. I'd actually rather have leather soles than the Bates rubber ones.

But do I neeeed to buy an NWU?

Legally? It's part of the sea-bag, so I guess the answer is yes....

But, I would say it all depends on where you are and if you unit wears them. Since you're at Maxwell, I'm assuming your don't need them.
What's your next duty station? That will determine what uniform you need.
If you're going to a Joint command, you may get issued the Type II or DCU's depending on the AOR you are going to work in. Of course the senior Navy guy at the command may decide that you'll wear NWU's or may allow flight suits. (JFCOM it was left up to the Directorates. I worked for a shoe, so I got to wear khakis. Others got to wear bags....)
If you come back to the Navy, since they replaced wash khakis, you'll need them if you are going to a ship? (Or a squadron that deploys on a ship).
Each staff will be a little different. Ashore you can always wear khakis since they are a step-up on NWU's.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Is that a VP-ism? No bags until flying?

Bags for aircraft or simulator events only. At least, that's the way it was 24 years ago. I don't know how they roll these days. Hey, it was just like "Top Gun." You know the scene where Maverick and his buddies get introduced to Viper? Classic khakis.;)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Ugh. There was an ill-conceived article in Rotor Review a year or so ago from an old O-6 who said we should wear khakis unless you're in your flight box in order to ensure that people didn't violate said box.

... yeah, I don't get it either.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Ugh. There was an ill-conceived article in Rotor Review a year or so ago from an old O-6 who said we should wear khakis unless you're in your flight box in order to ensure that people didn't violate said box.

... yeah, I don't get it either.

That's old school helo right there! We had a CO who wanted us in khakis in the morning if we had an afternoon flight.
Needless to say, after change of command and the new CO let us go bags 24/7 there was much rejoicing!!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Besides OCS, I've worn my three sets of NWUs ... never.

THREE? What am I? A SWO?

To be fair, they are FAR more comfortable than Service Khakis.

Is that because your HT sucked and didnt let you wear them on watch, you never got your Ensign bars on them, or both? :-P

MasterBates

So here's a newbie question from a hinge: do I actually need to buy a set of NWUs? Also, I wear khakis every Monday because I'm in a zoomie school. What makes the NWU more comfortable? I have to admit I feel a lot more comfortable on a professional level wearing the traditional khaki than the newer digital blueberries.

Dude, you are a COD hinge.

Like you need them.

(I had my one pair. I now use them for changing the oil in my truck)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
That's old school helo right there! We had a CO who wanted us in khakis in the morning if we had an afternoon flight.
Needless to say, after change of command and the new CO let us go bags 24/7 there was much rejoicing!!
I had a CO who did not take kindly to JOPA wearing HC-style patches and t-shirts with our flight suits the first day after the COC, so every Monday (later modified to every other Monday) everyone was in khakis. :(

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am pretty bad ass with the jacket, especially considering it's an Eastman Leather G-1. Ok, at least the jacket is bad ass. I don't find my khaki shoes to be uncomfortable. I'd actually rather have leather soles than the Bates rubber ones.

But do I neeeed to buy an NWU?

@ -30, the then Skipper's (Reggie) guidance was "I'm not going to make any Officers buy them, but if you need them, you better have them". I wore them once when it was the required uniform at a retirement.

exNavyOffRec

On the NWU's, if a SNA or SNFO gets sent to their local home NRD while waiting to class up or in between the different parts of the pipeline you will get many opportunities to wear the "aquaflage", new wear rules mean they are wearing it all the time.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
On the NWU's, if a SNA or SNFO gets sent to their local home NRD while waiting to class up or in between the different parts of the pipeline you will get many opportunities to wear the "aquaflage", new wear rules mean they are wearing it all the time.

sure. why would we want our newly minted ensigns to go home and look like professional Naval Officers when instead they can go home and look like members of the Smurf militia?

exNavyOffRec

sure. why would we want our newly minted ensigns to go home and look like professional Naval Officers when instead they can go home and look like members of the Smurf militia?
I agree, but many of the NRD CO's seem to think NWU's are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and for whatever reason the NRD CO's that were pushing to wear it all the time were Pilot's, myself I don't care for them and would prefer to wear Khaki's, I am out there to talk about the Navy and one thing civilians like to ask is "what is that ribbon for", there are no ribbons on NWU's.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bags for aircraft or simulator events only. At least, that's the way it was 24 years ago. I don't know how they roll these days. Hey, it was just like "Top Gun." You know the scene where Maverick and his buddies get introduced to Viper? Classic khakis.;)

Thankfully not any more. Check in in khakis, bag every day on out boyyyyyyyy!

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Is that because your HT sucked and didnt let you wear them on watch, you never got your Ensign bars on them, or both? :-P

-28 is awesome. I wish my squadron could be named after a drug-habit :D

Funny thing is, I've got my wings and rank on them, but all the SDOs wear in HSC-2 are khakis. I believe it's an SOP thing, but I haven't broken that beast out yet.

And grats on finishing up bud. Where you hoping to go?

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
-28 is awesome. I wish my squadron could be named after a drug-habit :D

Funny thing is, I've got my wings and rank on them, but all the SDOs wear in HSC-2 are khakis. I believe it's an SOP thing, but I haven't broken that beast out yet.

And grats on finishing up bud. Where you hoping to go?

I hear you HSC folks also have to stand the 24 HR watch at the squadron.

As for the NWUs, I quite enjoy them. They are comfy and in my opinion look pretty nifty. Khakis do look a lot more professional I will say. And the fact is that while the NWUs wear rules have relaxed a bit, they are still a working uniform and Khakis are a liberty uniform.