• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You don't HAVE to wear shirt stays...
The Hidden Tailor... I like it much better than the shirt stays:

Hidden_Taylor.jpg

An no, that is not me in the photo ;)

http://www.leonuniform.com/Hidden_Tailor.htm

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I agree, but many of the NRD CO's seem to think NWU's are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and for whatever reason the NRD CO's that were pushing to wear it all the time were Pilot's, myself I don't care for them and would prefer to wear Khaki's, I am out there to talk about the Navy and one thing civilians like to ask is "what is that ribbon for", there are no ribbons on NWU's.
NWU is a working uniform. If a person is not working, then they should not be wearing it. Period.

Sitting in an office (ie, most COCOMs) all day is not, IMHO, considered work that would justify the wear of the NWU, or any other combat uniform or flight suit.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NWU is a working uniform. If a person is not working, then they should not be wearing it. Period.

Sitting in an office (ie, most COCOMs) all day is not, IMHO, considered work that would justify the wear of the NWU, or any other combat uniform or flight suit.

Where do you come off posting edicts on this forum? Ya might want to wait until you're a DH or CO for that. Period!

OBTW, is your IMHO based on your extensive Naval Aviation experience? High horses can become bucking broncos... (as you just found out on another thread)!:(
BzB

phrogpilot73

What's your deal? Are you active duty? Reserves? Got out? Retired? Other thread was a hint, this is a statement. Fill out your profile.

You've got some opinions, got it. So does everyone else. NWU is a prescribed uniform, so those who actually follow instructions wear it. Period.

robav8r

None
Contributor
The best part about NWU's (IMO), is the jacket and removable fleece which you can wear by itself.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
What's your deal? Are you active duty? Reserves? Got out? Retired? Other thread was a hint, this is a statement. Fill out your profile.
Done. Enlisted while in AD, now an Officer in Reserve. 10 years of service.

You've got some opinions, got it. So does everyone else. NWU is a prescribed uniform, so those who actually follow instructions wear it. Period.
Man, tough day today. Even though approved via instruction, I do not find the NWU/ACU/flight suit to be an appropriate uniform for pure office environments where no work (work that would cause the uniform to become soiled), is being done (eg., COCOMS, the Pentagon, DIAC, etc.).

At the COCOM where I work during my day job, the Commander has approved NWU/ACU/Flight suits even though it is a pure office environment. We also have a very large "no saluting" zone. Combined, they make for a very relaxed environment which I, and other AD folks, feel hurt the junior Enlisted who land here for their first tour. There is a method to the madness of ensuring your uniform is squared away on a daily basis.

We've got some Navy folks who only wear khakis. Others NWUs. I sometimes see black and tans on the junior folks who are checking-ing, after that they are exclusively in NWUs. Pilots wear bags or NWUs. Some only wear khakis.

AF folks wear their ABU's and sometimes wear their service uniforms. Some AF folks only wear their service uniform.

Army folks exclusively wear their ACUs. Have yet to see Army folks in their service uniform.

All Marines wear their MCCUU and sometimes have a designated day where they wear their service uniform.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Were Wash Khakis considered an appropriate duty uniform back in the day? I've never seen them or worn them, always had NWUs. Seems to me that cotton khakis would be far more comfortable than that shit polyester blend the Service Khaki is.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I didn't mind the cotton wash khakis too much on my dissociated sea tour... although only if all of my flight suits were still in the laundry. ;)

If a flight suit is like wearing pyjamas to work then the wash khakis are like blue jeans.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I do not find the NWU/ACU/flight suit to be an appropriate uniform for pure office environments where no work (work that would cause the uniform to become soiled), is being done (eg., COCOMS, the Pentagon, DIAC, etc.).

I have always considered wearing a flightsuit a "right" that I have earned commensurate with my designator & wings. My CO's have always respected that right (a priviledge that they grant). I guess it comes down to the warfighter focus of the staff (or lack thereof).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes. They were considered a working uniform and were popular. I do not remember the restrictions (ie., to/from work, local stop, etc.).

Wash khakis were to from work (I believe) but were not authorized out in town, unlike NWUs, which can be worn to your local bistro for a latte.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
@ -30, the then Skipper's (Reggie) guidance was "I'm not going to make any Officers buy them, but if you need them, you better have them". I wore them once when it was the required uniform at a retirement.

I had vowed never to buy them until absolutely required. Checked into a new unit last month, and presto - required. :( Decided not to waste a day going to a Uniform Store, and then another day going back to pick them up after all the crap was sewn on them. Instead, bought everything required on the NEX Uniform website (https://www.nexnet.nexweb.org/pls/nexauth/nexauth.wg_shop_online); 7 days later, it all showed up - right sizes and everything sewn in the right place (free shipping, too). The lesson is wait until you really need it, and then order on the Interweb. You could probably get it faster if you paid for express shipping.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Anyone know if you can just tack on rank/pins to the NWUs rather than have them sown? I have mine done, but I saw some studs in the HTs wear them that way. Is that kosher?

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Wash khakis were to from work (I believe) but were not authorized out in town, unlike NWUs, which can be worn to your local bistro for a latte.

If I understand this right - NWU's replaced dungarees for enlisted? I remember being given the priviledge of wearing dungarees to and from work - no stops authorized. Guess things are a lot different now...