• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Well, this was the one 'nice' thing about OCS. You don't have to worry about how many uniforms, and of what variety you think you might need. They just make you buy the whole kitchen sink.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Any suggestions where to order the brown shoes from?
Also, when wearing khakis in the fleet, are we supposed to wear shirt stays? My NROTC unit requires that we wear them, so I need to figure out if I need to get a better pair of them.

Not required, but I wear them. A khaki shirt muffin-topping over your pants looks like straight dogshit.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Well, this was the one 'nice' thing about OCS. You don't have to worry about how many uniforms, and of what variety you think you might need. They just make you buy the whole kitchen sink.

Besides OCS, I've worn my three sets of NWUs ... never.

THREE? What am I? A SWO?

To be fair, they are FAR more comfortable than Service Khakis.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Wear two, keep one inspection-ready set pressed/starched and rigged just in case.

This reminded me of something funny that happened when I was a CAT I student at VP-30. We were all wearing khakis because my class hadn't started flying yet, and one of my classmates was very late for the first classroom evolution of the day. No one knew where he was, and he hadn't called in to STUCON or NFO training or anything. Just as the instructor was telling the class leader to find a phone to call the guy at home, in runs Ray in his khakis- with absolutely no hardware. No rank, no nametag, no wings. He might not have even had a belt. He only realized what he had done when he saw the "holy shit" looks on all our faces, and then looked down at his own uniform. The poor guy had to suffer through the morning like that, until we got a break long enough for one of us to be bribed to go to the NEX and buy most of what he needed. I don't think I ever left the house after that in uniform without first double checking to make sure that everything was where it was supposed to be.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
If you must have brown boots and don't want to wait; get Belleville 330ST.
If you can't get to a Navy Exchange, then you can find them on-line.
You most likely will NOT find them at an Army, Air Forces or Marine Corps Exchange since they are Navy unique items.

The last thing you want to do is drop a couple of hundred bucks on new boots to only be told they are prohibited and you can't wear them.
These are what they're issuing now in API...so spoiled these kids!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

THREE? What am I? A SWO?

One is plenty and there will be plenty of opportunities to wear them, particularly if you spend any time on a CVN.

Brett

BUDU

THREE? What am I? A SWO?

That was my frustration with OCS uniforms. The Sub/NUCs and aviation buy the opposite of what they actually need.

The tailors suck when you're pushing 50 people through at once, too. I have a completely useless set of khakis that I can't return because they got stamped for RLP before I ever wore them. They're too big to be worth tailoring.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
This reminded me of something funny that happened when I was a CAT I student at VP-30. We were all wearing khakis because my class hadn't started flying yet

Is that a VP-ism? No bags until flying?

One of my buddies checked into the RAG (in khakis) and forgot to put his newly earned wings on. He took a lot of shit that day...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So here's a newbie question from a hinge: do I actually need to buy a set of NWUs? Also, I wear khakis every Monday because I'm in a zoomie school. What makes the NWU more comfortable? I have to admit I feel a lot more comfortable on a professional level wearing the traditional khaki than the newer digital blueberries.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
What makes the NWU more comfortable?

For me, it's the pants and shoes. The elastic waist feels better (even on a skinny bastard like me) and the baggy pants don't ride up like those khaki pants do. CNTs are the worst in this regard. I find myself standing up every 10 minutes to pull my khakis/boxers out of my taint in those damn things. And boots with soft insoles are infinitely more comfortable than hard soled leather shoes and high socks...

Although it's hard to beat the cool factor of khakis, brown shoes, and a leather jacket...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am pretty bad ass with the jacket, especially considering it's an Eastman Leather G-1. Ok, at least the jacket is bad ass. I don't find my khaki shoes to be uncomfortable. I'd actually rather have leather soles than the Bates rubber ones.

But do I neeeed to buy an NWU?