• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms! Holy Cow! These puppies are expensive! (Bonus: Tax writeoff gouge)

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Uniforms

I commissioned and had a small "ceremony" in my summer whites, which I purchased before I was commissioned. Therefore, I didn't have another formal ceremony...I knew an O-2 from a unit in my area and he took me and another commissionee to buy the uniforms. Your recruiter can take you, another officer can take you, actually anyone that can get you onto a base with a uniform shop can take you...I just would be careful to make your purchases until you are completely sure you're in (final select letter in hand/etc...

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
I had a lengthy conversation with my recruiter about this on Friday (for a NPS person). He said that once I receive docs he will take me to get my uniforms (IF I WANT to commission in uniform). He gave me the option of commissioning in khaki's or SDB's - with different implications for each. In khaki's you can have your family pin on your rank and in SDB's you can't. He also told me that I should identify the person swearing me in so that he can put in on my commissioning paperwork. Meaning that the actual paperwork will be signed the same day. He also gave me the freedom to choose when and where I do the actual ceremony. -OR- you can just go to the office and sign paperwork in civies, get your ID card, go buy your own uniforms and start drilling if you want.

Now, with that said, you might have a different experience because the NW region up here seems to do things a little differently anyway. And my recruiter is very on the ball too.

I hope you're not thinking that you can sign your paperwork, immediately get your CAC, then go to the uniform shop all within a few hours... :icon_tong

Unfortunately it takes a little longer than that! Ha

Seriously though, take some consideration to where you swear in...you only do it once, for real.

torpedo0126

I had a lengthy conversation with my recruiter about this on Friday (for a NPS person). He said that once I receive docs he will take me to get my uniforms (IF I WANT to commission in uniform). He gave me the option of commissioning in khaki's or SDB's - with different implications for each. In khaki's you can have your family pin on your rank and in SDB's you can't.

Many people (especially females in dress whites) put cloth over the sleeve insignia and then have their family remove it.

dephyler

Contributor
I hope you're not thinking that you can sign your paperwork, immediately get your CAC, then go to the uniform shop all within a few hours...

haha, yeah, getting a CAC takes a while, but I swore in and bought my uniforms same day. I just went with my comdocs in hand with my recruiter. He knew the staff and the Newport uniform shop well enough. A little secret on getting a CAC less painfully than a PSD: find a small RAPIDS site and go there to get it done if possible. http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/owa/home

so put the humble pie back in the fridge and enjoy the whole process, I know I will....I have come a long way from hanging over the side of a ship slapping haze grey while strapped to a wooden seat....LOL

absolutely. It's one of the few traditions that we'll get to see as a reservist. Have fun with it, and personalize it.

cargodog

I hope you're not thinking that you can sign your paperwork, immediately get your CAC, then go to the uniform shop all within a few hours... :icon_tong

HA HA! Yes, I realize that. Although, looking back it does read that way!

Ok well after this last drill weekend, it was brought to my attention that all July DCO board selects will be at the earliest commissioned in December or even January.

RM3, why do you say that? Whats the reasoning behind it?

Just as a side note, I am a docent (glorified tour guide) at the Museum of Flight in Seattle. They have an incredible part of the museum called the Personal Courage Wing which is a tribute to men and women who served in WWI and WWII. I have a spot all picked out right below the P-38 that I'm hoping to do my ceremony at. Can't decide though between khaki's and SDB's. Leaning towards khaki. Can't wait!

cargodog

Too bad your Corsair is on loan. When is it coming back?

Hmm. I'm not sure which corsair you're talking about. We have two Corsairs on display right now. But they are the FG and F2G models built by Goodyear late in the war. One is on display in the Great Gallery (main gallery) and one is in the Personal Courage Wing but its stationary on the ground. The Corsair is definitely a worthy airplane for a backdrop but the P-38 is right above the WASP - Womens Air Service Pilots display (kinda extra cool being a female and commissioning next to that) AND the P-38 is also right in front of the P-51... Choices, choices!

drustynail

Reread the museums website: on loan "from" not "to" National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola. My bad. Regardless of your choice, your ceramony will have an amazing backdrop. G'luck.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The difference is that the OP is a reservist, so he's not "in the military" at all times. He is, but you get my point. He's asking because he's trying to balance his civilian job and boss w/ his military pride.

None of this negates what has already been recommended, though. Wear of the uniform is totally appropriate.

Agree with the uniform but disagree with the 'in the military' part. (I read your further post and copy your meaning) but if a reservist gets a DUI on a Tuesday night, will the Navy take action? Yes (assuming they find out), so even if you're not drilling, you're subject to the UCMJ, therefore I would conclude that you are in the military 24-7, just not on duty and not getting paid.

USAF.Boom

Agree with the uniform but disagree with the 'in the military' part. (I read your further post and copy your meaning) but if a reservist gets a DUI on a Tuesday night, will the Navy take action? Yes (assuming they find out), so even if you're not drilling, you're subject to the UCMJ, therefore I would conclude that you are in the military 24-7, just not on duty and not getting paid.

The military will take action but can not try you under the UCMJ. You are subject to administrative actions, but not criminal ones. When you are off military time they have no reach unless you are in an official status. A close friend of mine was charged (later dropped) with a DWI, he could not drive on base until the charges were adjudicated. The Col. stated that he had no jurisdiction over the matter because he was not on government time, but had he been then he would have been subject to both.

USAF.Boom

On another note, I have two questions about these medal things.

1) If I have more than one rack of medals, how far up does the second row get placed on my SBD.

2) I have been informed that my unit will be doing a dinning out in March, Someone said that miniature medals were required. Do you put miniature medals on the SBD? If not, do I attend this thing in SDB with ribbons only or do I need to get a dinner jacket?

Any help would be great.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None

1) If I have more than one rack of medals, how far up does the second row get placed on my SBD.

Place the second rack of medals such that the suspension ribbons of the first row are covered, but not the medals themselves.

2) I have been informed that my unit will be doing a dinning out in March, Someone said that miniature medals were required. Do you put miniature medals on the SBD? If not, do I attend this thing in SDB with ribbons only or do I need to get a dinner jacket?

Any help would be great.

Dinner dress blue is what you want, and the SDB uniform can me modified to accommodate (also known as "service dress bozo"). Swap out the regular tie for a bow tie, wear miniature medals and miniature breast insignia/warfare devices, and (optionally) a shirt that will take cuff links and studs.

3912DCO

Any help would be great.

Boom,
The miniature medals are easy to mount. I just went over to the base while I was there for drill a few weekends ago and bought the miniature medal rack (as well as medals and attachments) that corresponded to the number of medals I have. THAT will show you exactly how they are mounted. The ones that are a pain are the large medals (at least in my experience, I would love to hear a cheap, easy solution to mounting large medals). You can also order them on the Navy Exchange website with free shipping, provided you have been entered into the system and it recognizes you.

I'm curious, if someone can clarify, do we wear ribbons (for which there are no corresponding medals) with mini-medals?