• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms! Holy Cow! These puppies are expensive! (Bonus: Tax writeoff gouge)

USAF.Boom

From the Navy Uniform Reg

Ribbons
1. Manner of Wearing. Ribbons are worn on the service coat or jumper of Dress Blue and Dress White, and on the shirt of Service Khaki, Summer White, Winter Blue, and Tropical White. Ribbons are not authorized on formal dress, dinner dress, or working uniforms.

cargodog

For those who wonder how much they're going to initially spend on uniforms. Here's some info. I purchased uniforms yesterday (female uniforms, but most everything is similarly priced). I purchased the following:

1 Service Dress Blue (Shirt, Jacket, Pants, Hat, Devices)
2 Khaki's (Pants, Shirt, Garrison Cap, Devices)
1 Black Eisenhower Jacket (Goes with the Khaki's w/shoulder devices)
1 PT (Shorts and Shirt only, no sweats)
1 Black Bates Shoes
Plus Tailoring for the Pants and SDB Jacket and pressing for all
Total: $775

I was told not to purchase the Dress Whites until absolutely needed (if you don't use them at DCO school, then the chances of needing them as a reservist are slim. You very well might change rank before you need them the first time.) But anticipate about $300 for those. And I didn't get the pants for summer whites yet ~$40.

Also, unless your unit drills in them, do not purchase the new working uniforms until you absolutely must.

It hurt, but it was still the most satisfying $775 I've ever spent. :)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, they do. I purchased one yesterday which I have a feeling will never ever be worn. I guess its for the formal dinner mess uniforms.

I have never, ever seen anyone wear a "mini-ribbon," unless you mean those individual lapel pins/tie tacks. Got a picture/web link?

Devil Duck

The miniature medal ribbons that come with the full sized medals are for wear with civilian attire, such as a suit or sport coat. I used to wear a NAM with my sport coat. Then one day I realized it was lame and took it off.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Boom,
The miniature medals are easy to mount. I just went over to the base while I was there for drill a few weekends ago and bought the miniature medal rack (as well as medals and attachments) that corresponded to the number of medals I have. THAT will show you exactly how they are mounted.

I have mounted my own ribbons for years on the and did the same when I started getting mini medals. However after coming back from theatre with enough hardware to goto multiple rows I decided to have the mini medals sent out to be professionally mounted and the difference was pretty much night and day in how professional they look. Of course the mounted ones were way more expensive (nearly 200 bucks for mini medals, two ultra thins and shipping). However with medals of america around the corner from where I live I can have them modify them the next time I order without having to purchase a new set. I also will at some point have to buy full size medals but have decided to hold off on those for the time being since I don't expect to wear them any time soon.

Also, unless your unit drills in them, do not purchase the new working uniforms until you absolutely must.

My unit drills in DCU's but i may have to buy the aquaflauge to wear at africom since my normal BDU's are ratty from my days at the Academy.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
my normal BDU's are ratty from my days at the Academy.

Ditto.

I kept all mine in a box and didn't open them until reaching my first squadron. I'm pretty sure I will never wear them as an actual uniform again, but I now have some cool, tactical oil-changing clothes.

Iceman6291

For those who wonder how much they're going to initially spend on uniforms. Here's some info. I purchased uniforms yesterday (female uniforms, but most everything is similarly priced). I purchased the following:

1 Service Dress Blue (Shirt, Jacket, Pants, Hat, Devices)
2 Khaki's (Pants, Shirt, Garrison Cap, Devices)
1 Black Eisenhower Jacket (Goes with the Khaki's w/shoulder devices)
1 PT (Shorts and Shirt only, no sweats)
1 Black Bates Shoes
Plus Tailoring for the Pants and SDB Jacket and pressing for all
Total: $775

I was told not to purchase the Dress Whites until absolutely needed (if you don't use them at DCO school, then the chances of needing them as a reservist are slim. You very well might change rank before you need them the first time.) But anticipate about $300 for those. And I didn't get the pants for summer whites yet ~$40.

Cargodog,
Not entirely sure how you managed to pull off only spending that much but kudos to you. I just picked up the SDB's and all accoutrements in addition to a pair of shoes and managed to spend $800 almost on the nose. Doh.

Did you pick up the Brooks Brothers edition or the regulars? I was told (and sorta talked into) buying the BB version so maybe therein lies the discrepancy?

cargodog

Cargodog,
Not entirely sure how you managed to pull off only spending that much but kudos to you. I just picked up the SDB's and all accoutrements in addition to a pair of shoes and managed to spend $800 almost on the nose. Doh.

Did you pick up the Brooks Brothers edition or the regulars? I was told (and sorta talked into) buying the BB version so maybe therein lies the discrepancy?

I didn't buy the Brooks Brothers SDB, just the regular ones.

USAF.Boom

Just wait, you will spend even more for white's if you go to DCOIC during summer months. I have spent a butt load, and now I was told I have to get the NWU as well, but they said I could wait until I got back from NIOBC. At least they are being cool about that after I explained how much this stuff cost me. Just at great lakes it was 1700, but I live so far away from base that it was important that I got everything while I was there so I could try it on. Plus, I like my uniforms to look nice because I think they are a direct reflection on you.

3912DCO

Just bought my stuff this week and while I spent a ton as well, it was nice that NEX did all of the tailoring (pants and sleeves) for free...loops on the dress white shoulders and gold braiding and star (line) they charge for...and turned it around in less than 48-hours since I live 4+ hours away. They were very helpful.