• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms for 1390/1370's

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I thought they were phasing out CNT khaki, trying to move everything to poly wool. I am mistaken perhaps?
You know, that is a darn good question. That would be a great thing to cut (two kinds of khakis) in order to keep AWGs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I thought they were phasing out CNT khaki, trying to move everything to poly wool. I am mistaken perhaps?

It was my understanding that by now (don't know the exact date), they were supposed to be gone. However, a few weeks ago, I went to the exchange to price/look over some new poly-wools since all I have are CNTs and they still had CNTs on the rack. Don't know what means, but I grabbed another cover while I could just because I like them better w/ a flight suit than the poly-wools when you pull it out of the pocket.

From a 1520 ("PMO") standpoint they have a pretty good arguement to have one. Typically, they have to do a Div 'O' tour, and then a MMCO/AMO tour and then the MO tour all on a carrier and have no warfare designation pin? You're talking 8-10 years ships company standing OOD, ACDO and CDO watches and no warfare pin? How many 1520's do you see that are 05 and above with no Officer warfare designation? A Lot. Anyway....it really doesn't mean much to a CWO or LDO, it's more a 1520 thing.

You guys can't get a SWO pin of some sort? Or did that go away when they took it away from the aviators?

BourneID

pilot
It was my understanding that by now (don't know the exact date), they were supposed to be gone. However, a few weeks ago, I went to the exchange to price/look over some new poly-wools since all I have are CNTs and they still had CNTs on the rack. Don't know what means, but I grabbed another cover while I could just because I like them better w/ a flight suit than the poly-wools when you pull it out of the pocket.

Call me a uniform Nazi, but aren't you supposed to wear the wash kahki cover with a flight suit?

BourneID

pilot
I have never heard that before. More importantly, why would it matter?

Straight From Unifor Regs:

a. Flight Suits. Flight suits may be worn by
aircrew members and individuals engaged in flight or
flight-related duties during that working day. This
authorization does not include ground support, non-aircrew
maintenance or non-aircrew support personnel. Flight
suits may be worn to/from home and work to include brief
and appropriate stops, on military transport aircraft, and
to official business meetings away from home station when
the wear of flight suits is appropriate for
transportation, or for the level of meeting (i.e. working
meeting). Allowances for flight clothing and flight deck
clothing are established by Commander, Naval Air Systems
Command and published in Naval Air Systems Command Allowance
Lists. Flight suits shall be clean and well kept.
Sleeves will be worn full length with hook and pile
(velcro) sleeve cuffs closed or with a maximum of two
outward rolls when not engaged in flight operations. All
zippers will be closed and FOD flaps will be closed on pen
pockets. Green flight suits shall be worn while in CONUS.
Tan flight suits may be worn in CONUS during summer months
as approved by the Commanding Officer. Outside of CONUS
either the green or tan flight suit shall be worn as
appropriate to the terrain, mission and conditions.
(1) Headgear. Officers/CPOs working khaki
garrison cap with appropriate insignia, with command/Navy
ball cap optional. Enlisted E6 and below Navy ball cap
with appropriate insignia with command ball cap optional.

Don't know why it matters, just looking at the regs.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
/threadjack

Can you elaborate on this? Did Aviators used to qualify SWO as well as get wings?
No, not required, But it used to be an option to qualify if you were in the right circumstances.

nfowy5.jpg

surfacewarfarexz2.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, not required, But it used to be an option to qualify if you were in the right circumstances.

nfowy5.jpg

surfacewarfarexz2.jpg

In reading stories of early aviators (before the big one), they had to serve at sea before applying for aviation training so that may be where the notion stems from in the first place.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
In reading stories of early aviators (before the big one), they had to serve at sea before applying for aviation training so that may be where the notion stems from in the first place.

Not sure for OCS and ROTC, but Academy guys that selected aviation had to do 2 years or so on a ship prior to reporting to P-cola. Not sure when it ended.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot

nfowy5.jpg

surfacewarfarexz2.jpg

So what you're saying is that under the current conditions if an Aviator for some reason wanted to qualify for his SWO pin and had the time to do it, they would not be "allowed" to?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
So what you're saying is that under the current conditions if an Aviator for some reason wanted to qualify for his SWO pin and had the time to do it, they would not be "allowed" to?
My understand is that is now the case. The SWOs became defensive about letting just anyone earn it. You now have to have certain designators and aviators are not on the list.