• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms for 1390/1370's

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm trying to figure out what uniforms to pick up prior to commissioning and had a few questions.

1) What dress uniforms should I pick up? I am planning on replacing my blues with a good set (since the MIDN ones never fit right), but I think I might keep my chokers and summer whites since they fit just fine and it would save $$$.

2) How many khakis would you get? I'm thinking 2 sets of polywools to augment my CNT's that I already have

3) Anything else I'm forgetting?

Thanks in advance!

MasterBates

1-Good set of SDBs and Chokers is all you need. Some will argue to buy the "Mess Dress". I have not yet.

2-I have 2 sets of CNT Khakis that have done quite well over the years. Never needed more than 2.

3-Aviation Working Greens :D
3b-Brown shoes. If you are a 13xx, wear 'em.

MasterBates

Down the road (post RAG) you MAY need:
Washed Khakis (longsleeve). My first boat you had to wear Khakis to dinner, unless you were on watch or about to go flying.
NWU (that digital blue abomination)

schwarti

Contributor
Last I heard was summer '08 for NWU, but I'm sure there's someone out there who knows better.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1-Good set of SDBs and Chokers is all you need. Some will argue to buy the "Mess Dress". I have not yet.

You won't need mess dress right away. If you have the money, though, buy it before your first formal event so you don't look like a cheeseball.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I got to P-Cola with:
2x Summer Whites
1x SDBs/Chokers/Mess Dress (white & black)
2x CNT Khakis

And that's about it. Worked out fine for me. Never needed more than that.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't forget, after the last test in API, it's all bags.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You won't need mess dress right away. If you have the money, though, buy it before your first formal event so you don't look like a cheeseball.

Thread-jacking MIDNJAC's thread here, but what's the take from those that purchased the mess-dress from Abbotts? I've only bought one thing from them (1x summer whites) and both the trousers and the blouse were horribly miscut. Anyone have the Mess Dress from them and would recommend them over the exchange? I'm going to need to get a set before the eventual surgery.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Thread-jacking MIDNJAC's thread here, but what's the take from those that purchased the mess-dress from Abbotts? I've only bought one thing from them (1x summer whites) and both the trousers and the blouse were horribly miscut. Anyone have the Mess Dress from them and would recommend them over the exchange? I'm going to need to get a set before the eventual surgery.
As a starry-eyed ENS(sel), I got suckered in by the Abbott's rep and ordered a full set of uni's. All were more than satisfactory, but I was very impressed with the DDBs. Just make sure that you're getting measured by an Abbott's rep vice another tailor. Also, if you don't like the initial cut of your jacket or trousers, go back and get it fixed - they should do it for free.

MasterBates

I have had great service out of my Abbotts uniforms. And never had a problem getting them altered.

The only reason I have not used them lately is I normally need something NOW and end up getting it from the NEX (wine spilled on choker coat 2 days before COC, etc)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

I only have the Flying Cross (NEX) mess dress, tropical and blues, and they're great. I dunno how many people have a set from both Abott's and the exchange.

Something general I've noticed over the years, it seems "bigger" folks like Abott's stuff. I noticed that all of the uniforms I ordered from them were cut entirely too big and required multiple trips to the tailor.

On the other hand, the Flying Cross "slim cut" (or whatever) from NEX fits perfectly off the rack and usually needs something simple like sleeve adjustments or hems.