• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms for 1390/1370's

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So would I be fine just getting the NEX stuff in general then? I put the skinny back in skinny....
Get Abbott's. Dollars to donuts I have you beat on the skinny thing and mine fit great. Even with another tailor having measured me for my mess dress. MUCH better quality.

Edit: This goes for dress uniforms. No reason you need Abbott's khakis/summer whites.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blurb in the Navy Enquirer sez there will be a certain-period-of-time changover for the new uniforms and the clock will start ticking when the NEX gets them in. Don't know how long that time will be, but usually when they do new uniforms, it's been about 12-18 months. "When" is sometime mid-08, probably SD and Nawfolk will be the first to get them.

If you're buying My First Ensign uniforms now, you'll probably never need wash khakis; they'll be Officially Gone by the time you hit the Fleet and need them. Likewise, you won't need the Smurf Cammies (Smurfies?) until then, so go spend your phat Ensign paycheck on a big TV or a Harley instead.

Show up for API with at LEAST two sets of CNT khakis. You'll get your bags at some point (depending on the supply chain) and then you'll just wear khakis for duty, or G-d forbid, a PRB and going to see the Skipper. You'll probably know at least a few weeks in advance before you need blues/chokers/mess dress, enough time to go get them.

And for the love of G-d, get khakis that FIT. You see all these Ensigns walking around who are rapidly returning to their pre-OCS waistlines and starting to resemble sausage casings. You're not fooling anybody. If you lost a lot of weight at OCS, you're going to put at least some of it back on, especially if you're in A-Pool for a few months. You're not Moses, quit living in denial.

Nose

pilot
Just as an aside, if you want REALLY well made Uni's - check out the NEX online uniform shop and go to the "fancy" section. (THat's not what it is called, I can't remember)

They have a line of unis made by Brooks Brothers that rocks. For you college boys, Brooks Brothers is an excellent clothing store. Stuff is more expensive than standard NEX fare, but much higher quality fabrics and better fit. The SDB shirts are 100% no wrinkle cotton. I still buy 2 of them each year to wear with my airline monkey suit.

Hey Foodog - If you like the smurf cammies, you are gay like all the other foodogs I've ever known.:icon_tong

As far as the "warfare designator" pin goes, I've never had a problem with that shit as long as you have to do something to earn it. That's why I always thought the supply pin (ESPECIALLY the one with wings) was bullshit. Pretty soon we will be like the air force, where an outsider can't tell the difference between a weatherman and an F-15 pilot.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Pretty soon we will be like the air force, where an outsider can't tell the difference between a weatherman and an F-15 pilot.

F-15 pilot: Spiffy ascot.
Weatherman: Snazzy gray beret.

It's all about da bling bling in da Air Fizzle. Fa shizzle. :icon_smil

magnetfreezer

MagneTFreezer: What policy? Is that a school policy? Because there is no "policy" or seabag requirement for Chiefs or Officers in real Navy. You are just supposed to know what you need and have the responsibilty to not get caught with your pants down, so to speak. And WTF are "charlies" and AF blues? Please enlighten me on that one? I don't need enlightenment on what the uniforms are after 26 years I think I know what they are, but why is Navy wearing them? Thanks.

Sorry about the confusion, the Navy UOD is khakis, the Marines wear their service Charlies and the Air Force wear our short sleeve blues as the equivalent uniforms to khakis. The flight suit policy is a Schools Command thing.

phrogpilot73

Sorry about the confusion, the Navy UOD is khakis, the Marines wear their service Charlies and the Air Force wear our short sleeve blues as the equivalent uniforms to khakis. The flight suit policy is a Schools Command thing.
And to expand upon it, and if you're curious - Service Charlies is a short sleeve Khaki shirt and green trousers.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I see the word CNT thrown around quite a bit in this thread. I disagree, buy poly/wool khakis. Take it from someone who wore khakis everyday for 3 years, poly/wool is much more comfortable.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah, I have worn CNT's one too many times and will not be going back....poly wools all the way.

@ Nittany - I challenge you to a skinny-off

Thanks for the help gents

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I see the word CNT thrown around quite a bit in this thread. I disagree, buy poly/wool khakis. Take it from someone who wore khakis everyday for 3 years, poly/wool is much more comfortable.

Agreed. Aside from being extremely uncomfortable they dont hide odor well at all (and before anyone asks, yes this is the case with deodorant). After only half a day of wearing CNTs I stunk worse than I can ever remember. they also look like crap. Go with the Poly wool, they are much more comfortable and they have the sharp looking perm creases.

gotta_fly

pilot
I'd also highly recommend the custom combo cover from Johnson's in Annapolis. I got one for Christmas last year and it's about a thousand times more comfortable and nicer looking than the issue one my ROTC unit gave me. It also has a different band that doesn't leave you with a red line imprinted on your forehead after wearing it for five minutes.

Johnson's Cover

war eagle

alright, stupid question... are Abbott's uniforms CNT's or poly wools? or do they do their own thing?

*i have a $1200 order pending with abbott's...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Agreed. Aside from being extremely uncomfortable they dont hide odor well at all (and before anyone asks, yes this is the case with deodorant). After only half a day of wearing CNTs I stunk worse than I can ever remember. they also look like crap. Go with the Poly wool, they are much more comfortable and they have the sharp looking perm creases.

It's funny you say that. I always found CNTs had nearly the healing power of the boat. They'd get dirty and wrinkled (if that's the word) before they started to stink, for me. Maybe you shouldn't PT in them...

*i have a $1200 order pending with abbott's...

Just my opinion, but I think you're over-spending. Abbott's are a poly-wool design. They actually had them before the Navy went to them and the Navy followed suit.

fudog50

Thanks for making me smart!~~

You guys are awesome and funny too!

Magnetfreezer, thanks for response on uniforms worn at the schoolhouse.

Hey I'm NOT kidding about the cammies. I am going to get them things first thing!

About the "PMO" pin, yes it's coming, it's a 1520 thing and the frickin "PQS" is 280 pages. Look after 26 years and a CWO4, they should just give me the dam thing, but I have to get the whole book signed off and then sit on a board with 10-14 year LCDR's approving it, what a joke! Then they ask me to teach the classes.

But it's a step in the right direction and will have some growing pains.

I mean I can certainly see the point, especially when you throw in the supply "warfare" pin.

From a 1520 ("PMO") standpoint they have a pretty good arguement to have one. Typically, they have to do a Div 'O' tour, and then a MMCO/AMO tour and then the MO tour all on a carrier and have no warfare designation pin? You're talking 8-10 years ships company standing OOD, ACDO and CDO watches and no warfare pin? How many 1520's do you see that are 05 and above with no Officer warfare designation? A Lot. Anyway....it really doesn't mean much to a CWO or LDO, it's more a 1520 thing.

Nose: Where does the "gay" thing come from anyway??? I certainly was not doing any gay stuff in PI from 1982-1986. No need to, plenty of LBFM's! haha

Have fun!