• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms for 1390/1370's

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Not sure for OCS and ROTC, but Academy guys that selected aviation had to do 2 years or so on a ship prior to reporting to P-cola. Not sure when it ended.

When did they do that?

/too lazy to search.

Nose

pilot
So what you're saying is that under the current conditions if an Aviator for some reason wanted to qualify for his SWO pin and had the time to do it, they would not be "allowed" to?

I'm sure someone will correct me on this, but I think you can still earn it, you just can't wear it. I think it has to do more with wearing two warfare designations.

snake020

Contributor
I'm sure someone will correct me on this, but I think you can still earn it, you just can't wear it. I think it has to do more with wearing two warfare designations.

AFAIK you can wear both since they're from different warfare communities, unlike NFO/Aviator both falling under Aviation Warfare.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently you can get the qual, do the PQS, etc. on your disassociated, but just not get the SWO pin. Apparently the SWO community collectively said something like "well, we can't get our gold wings, so why do you get to get a SWO pin?" Or so I've been told by the old hands.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Apparently you can get the qual, do the PQS, etc. on your disassociated, but just not get the SWO pin. Apparently the SWO community collectively said something like "well, we can't get our gold wings, so why do you get to get a SWO pin?" Or so I've been told by the old hands.

Sorry for the following bitchfest but I think thats crap. So much for wearing what you rate. I think the answer to their "we cant get wings" should be something to the effect of "if you can do it in the normal course of your job, you're more than welcome to qualify for wings and wear them." But thats just my uneducated opinion as a midshipman.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

That sounds immature as hell. I guess the answer could be "if the Navy could afford to send you through flight training for a disassociated tour, then you could".

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry for the following bitchfest but I think thats crap. So much for wearing what you rate. I think the answer to their "we cant get wings" should be something to the effect of "if you can do it in the normal course of your job, you're more than welcome to qualify for wings and wear them." But thats just my uneducated opinion as a midshipman.

Guys, settle. You no longer can earn the SWO pin, so it's not a matter of wearing what you rate. You CAN earn the OOD qual, which is not the same thing. As HAL stated, the SWO's got pissy and called it unfair since they "couldn't earn pilot wings," to which I say, yes you can, just apply to go to flight school. But that's neither here nor there.

Call me a uniform Nazi, but aren't you supposed to wear the wash kahki cover with a flight suit?

I have no idea, and don't really care. Call me a crappy officer, but no one cares in the fleet or even in the TRACOM.

gotta_fly

pilot
A friend of mine (just retired after 30 so I guess this isn't current) got his SWO pin on a d-tour and wore them both, but he took a lot of crap from folks from both communities. Just out of curiosity, what does it take for a suppo to get the sub and aviation pins?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Useta be that aviators could pick up the pin on your disassoc tour, if you were ship's company. SWOs put the kibosh on that for the same reason that the sub folks decided Middies can't get their dolphins on a sub cruise anymore - it's a community emblem, not a piece of flair.

Personally, I think that's crap - if you do the same work to earn the pin, what the hell does it matter what your designator is? - but nobody asked me.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Personally, I think that's crap - if you do the same work to earn the pin, what the hell does it matter what your designator is? - but nobody asked me.
I actually had to do more and know more than the baby SWOs going for their pin. The senior SWOs made sure of that. It wasn't easy.

fudog50

NO<YOU CANNOT QUALIFY AS SWO ANYMORE AS AN AVIATOR.

You can get "underway OOD" and thats as high as you can go.

The school you need to get for the final qual is not funded for aviators or any aviation LDO/CWO.

Believe me I am living this dream right now. There are 2 avaition LDO's on the Lincoln with me currently that are under the "bridge" syllabus. None of us are authorized to get the SWO pin.

Where are the SWO's you might ask? We ask the same question, but the CO and Gator likes the Aviation types on the bridge for obvious reasons.

Some don't understand that there are no "ship drivers" ie "SWO's" assigned to a carrier just to drive the ship. All the officers on the bridge, are there on collateral duties.

In fact our #1 ship driver and best officer on the ship just left. He was a 1320Tacamo guy that by far and above was the leader of our Wardroom and the bridge. Guess what? 2 things, he was not eliglible for "SWO" and OBTW, his Primary duty was TAO and he was the best at that too! Godspeed and following seas to him as he returns to Tacamo wing in Oklahoma..

Plus, most ANAV's on Carriers are 1320's and aren't authorized or eligible for the SWO pin.

I'm sure it's been done in the past, maybe some cards were played under the table, or strings pulled to get these guys the SWO school in Norfolk you need to get final qual'd, but it is certainly not the norm, nor is it fair! :(

Sorry for the "threadjack" but that is the case.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
There is a lot more to the SWO qual then OOD Underway and TAO. I was both too. I also taught TAO school prior to my carrier tour. That covered maybe 1/3 of the PQS / requirements. SWOS wasn't required when I got my pin, but it sure would have helped. Especially when it came to the engineering and deck stuff.

At the time, I was the first non-SWO designated officer on TR to earn a SWO pin. Many other aviators, LDOs and CWOs started the program but gave it up when they realized the amount of extra work it took.

ANAVs are not anything more than OODs Underway as far as their quals go. The rest of their job is paperwork.

Pags

N/A
pilot
When I got commissioned I got the Abbott's package and it worked out real well. Nice SDBs and I like the material they make their khakis out of. When I was in Pcola I would stop by when my uniforms needed to be let out or have the hem lengthened. They were very helpful in getting me SDB trousers at the last minute (day of my wingining) when the NEX drycleaner lost my other pair. Since then, I'm moved away from Pcola and the last time I needed to upgrade my uniforms I went to the NEX, since it was a last minute thing and it was a lot more convenient. The flying cross khakis get the job done and they seem to do a damn good job or resisting wrinkles and holding sharp creases.

I don't remember who said it, but make sure you upgrade your uniforms every once in awhile. There's few things nastier than the guy who tries to squeeze into the khakis he bought as a 2/c mid and it's now several years and 40 pounds later (one of the other nasty things is the guy who probably hasn't pressed his uniforms since his 2/c year).