• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

Junior

pilot
This is not going to drive anybody towards more manned fighters (see the 12 Mar GAO on JSF article):

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cg....1153163487.RLvg38Oa9dUAAE9euUo&modele=jdc_34

(Added bonus - read about Boeing's protest of the tanker award).

"the development schedule is likely to slip from 12 to 27 months."

Does that really surprise anyone? From the May, 1999 Marine Corps Gazette:

"The JSF, of which the Marine Corps is requesting 642 total units, is destined to gradually phase out both the AV-8B Harrier and the F/A-18 Hornet around the year 2008."

Buy Super Hornets! I really shouldn't let myself get so frustrated, shit it's five o'clock somewhere.

Random8145

I remember reading about this technology on a forum somewhere, and I forget if it was regarding autonomous aircraft, or just remote-controlled unmanned ones, but they said there's like a huge issue regarding computer processing or something? And issues such as you have to figure out what to do if you lose contact with your fighters (don't want the equivalent of radio-controlled F-16s flying and the "pilots" lose contact with them :D), what happens if the enemy tries to take control of your aircraft from you, how to prevent them from doing so, etc...I think a huge processing issue was more for autonomous fighters, for example having them communicate with the command, having them communicate with each other, etc...

Maybe this stuff was already mentioned in the thread but I didn't read all nine pages.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I remember reading about this technology on a forum somewhere, and I forget if it was regarding autonomous aircraft, or just remote-controlled unmanned ones, but they said there's like a huge issue regarding computer processing or something? And issues such as you have to figure out what to do if you lose contact with your fighters (don't want the equivalent of radio-controlled F-16s flying and the "pilots" lose contact with them :D), what happens if the enemy tries to take control of your aircraft from you, how to prevent them from doing so, etc...I think a huge processing issue was more for autonomous fighters, for example having them communicate with the command, having them communicate with each other, etc...

Maybe this stuff was already mentioned in the thread but I didn't read all nine pages.
Here's a article I dug up really quickly about the game changing TTNT links that go a long way to solving some of those problems - the system has matured some from this article though...

http://www.military-information-technology.com/article.cfm?DocID=642

Kycntryboy

pilot
"Trainers will turn out more pilots for Predators next year than for all other Air Force fighter planes combined."

Ouch

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Geez.....I hope this doesn't mean that the air force will have to lengthen their deployments past the 60 day mark. I mean.....damn......that's just harsh.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Geez.....I hope this doesn't mean that the air force will have to lengthen their deployments past the 60 day mark. I mean.....damn......that's just harsh.

The trend towards more Predator pilots means they won't have to deploy at all except for the Launch and Recovery Elements.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
From talking to some Viper dudes a few weeks ago, one of them gave me disturbing news.

They are pulling guys out of their community as soon as 9 months after showing up, to never fly the (insert jet here) again. I see a shortage of pilot applicants in the USAF's future.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The trend towards more Predator pilots means they won't have to deploy at all except for the Launch and Recovery Elements.

That's right. I didn't think about that. The "flying" is all done from Nellis or something.

Well....at least they'll still keep racking up the Air Medals and DFCs.

9 Months in the cockpit and then off to predators? That seems hard to believe, but the truth is doubtlessly almost as bad.

Thank God I didn't join the air force. I'll just add this to my other reasons.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Oh no. They'll be required to live in Las Vegas and deploy to a trailer where they have to play video games until the war is over.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I'm not going to argue about how much Pred guys deploy, but the idea that the 'Air Force' deploys for less than 60 days or something at a time is just ridiculous.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
I'm not going to argue about how much Pred guys deploy, but the idea that the 'Air Force' deploys for less than 60 days or something at a time is just ridiculous.

I have buddies that I served with & are still on active duty who would give their left nut for a 5 year tour in Nevada rather than 15 months in Iraq.

Then, as part of the January deal, Predator and Reaper crews were frozen. Even pilots who have been flying drones nonstop for three years will have to remain in Nevada for at least two more years.