• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

Lawman

None
The skill set for a Pilot/NFO/Crew is no doubt going to cost more money... however I would say that its something different to say that a pilot is "worth more" than an infantry officer. just my opinion. Were you speaking in terms of training costs or battlefield assets?

I wouldnt go so far as to say money is the only cost. Think of how long the pipeline from start to finish is to be an effective Infantry Officer compaired to an Aviator. Your not just a bigger hit so much as "Damn there goes a good chunk of change..." but they have to replace you and the pipeline to do so is a lot less capable of accepting a sudden massive loss. And that combination is the justification of pulling pilots out of the line of fire faster then Infantry. Only so much money to R&D and implement a program, so we gotta go with the one that shows the greatest cost to benefit.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
No one is saying that any servicemember's life is "worth" more than another. Everyone has a mother that loves him, we're all equal in the eyes of God, etc.

Loss of an aircraft and its pilot is more of a loss than a corresponding loss of most other personnel and equipment. If that platoon commander gets hit, his platoon sergeant will pick up the slack 'till there a replacement. No one's going to fly that plane but a pilot.

Plus, if you look at robots as 1 for 1 replacements for humans (admittedly a rough estimate), its easier to automate a few hundred airplanes than several thousand grunts.

Aviation lends itself much more towards automation than ground combat. A UAV can easily cross the ocean, but DARPA had a unmanned ground vehicle challenge race a couple years back and most of the competitors got lost or failed to complete the course.

I just don't understand the heartburn on this one. Everyone's life is equal, it says so in the Declaration of Independence, but some are more easily saved, and protecting some is more beneficial to the big team win.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Interesting and well-stated points all. I don't see UCAVs benfiting the force until they can produce a system that can give a pilot the exact same SA he would have in the cockpit. As far as the infantry officer vs. pilot, I think that both of you made good points... however on a philosophical level think that I should be risking my butt just like anyone else. Just my 2c gents, the heartburn comes with the fact that I, you, we, would have to say goodbye to Navy/Marine Corps. Aviation as we know it. If that doesn't cause you heartburn then it should IMO.

Lawman

None
I personally like the "F" in the "F/A-XX" designation. I guess you could try and run them into crap. Thats sorta like a menuver kill right?

vaportrail

I am new to the Navy and I will never warm to this project. There is nothing more technological than the human mind. Autonomous, AI war-machines are no substitute for human instinct and intellect. I think that in a combat situation with a powerful nation, these "nextgen" piles of aluminum will show their true colors. I just don't trust them. And you have to trust a brother-in-arms. Need we say more?

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
johnny5.jpg

You made Johnny-5 sad:(