• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs, not just an Air Force gig anymore

HuggyU2

None
My squadron has been "in theatre" continuously since July 1990. Does your squadron maintain a continuous presence there? Or do you come back home for a year or so?
I've also had plenty of my pilots ask to do a quick turn, and get back to the Sand Box. It's not uncommon for our guys to spend 8-9 months a year there. Sure, plenty of folks out there have it worse than us, but we are doing our best to support the warfighters on the ground. Save your Vagisil remarks for someone who deserves it.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Save your Vagisil remarks for someone who deserves it.

Like the Predator guys?:D

Man, it sure is dramatic around here today. Are we having a collective sense of humor failure?

Or has somebody tightened their ascot to the point that it's chafing against their ironed flightsuit?

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
You know, I think this whole battle is super interesting. My initial reaction (naturally) is , "F___ing Air Force! Suck it up. All the other services have it waaaaay worse. Oh, boo-who. Your poor career. You only get one flying tour? So sad. Multiple 15+ month deployments aren't just tough on a career, it is tough on your overall life plans."

But, all that said, that really is only my initial reaction. And I have to have respect for them pushing back so hard. The way of the military seems too often to be, "Yes sir! We will just do more with less!" Then someone goes and says all weekend liberty is secured and you have somehow make the equipment for 30 guys work for 75. And that is total BS. It is a little refreshing to see the AF just say no.

Sometimes "doing more with less" just means someone somewhere is afraid to say they can't do the mission, for whatever reason.

The AF is pointing to real long-term issues they will have instead of just trying to comply. I don't really have all the information to make a good, critical analysis, but maybe that is a very good thing.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
But isn't "doing more with less" one of the primary fundamentals that the Marine Corps is built around?

Slightly off topic, but it burns me that the AF spends so much on QOL considerations, then says it doesn't have the resources for mission accomplishment.

(Note: That is not intended to be derogatory or disrespectful to the AF.)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But isn't "doing more with less" one of the primary fundamentals that the Marine Corps is built around?

Slightly off topic, but it burns me that the AF spends so much on QOL considerations, then says it doesn't have the resources for mission accomplishment.

(Note: That is not intended to be derogatory or disrespectful to the AF.)

Where in the Marine Corps, we spend so little on QOL that time and time again it's the #1 reason first tour Marines list for getting out (I'll see if I can dig up the multiple MC Times articles referencing this).

Yes, doctrinally, "Mission Accomplishment" takes precedence over "Taking care of Marines," but if you don't take care of your Marines, you won't get anything accomplished.

We always dog the AF for 'building the golf course first then asking for runway money,' but I think it's jealousy. Good on 'em. If they can continuously pull it off, go for it.

/.02