• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trw 5

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Trawing 5

I'm currently in VT-6. What everyone has said about 6 is true. The first thing our CO told us when we checked in was "You are not candidates. You are officers and will be treated as such." They really live up to that. They are also really willing to work with you if you need to snivel for something. The consensus here is that 6 is the best squadron at Whiting with VT-2 not being too far behind. As for VT-3, well, its only 6 months, right? Then again, which squadron you get is really just luck of the draw. Whiting's a nice place to be stationed, though. As far as Vance or Moody go, STAY AWAY! Nobody I know that went to either place remotely liked it. Unless you really enjoy being in the squadron spaces from 0700 to 1600 regardless of whether or not you fly, the Air Force is not the way to go. If you do go to Whiting, find someplace to live in Milton. It is a lot easier to commute from Milton to P'cola for 6 weeks than the other direction for 6 months.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
VT-6 was awsome ... if you wanna fly and not get "SCHEDULED" for standby and instead get treated like an officer and just have to keep your cell phone with you incase the weather clears up and they can call you in ... get in VT-6.

If you wanna get scheduled for standby for a sim (god knows why) and have to sit at the squadron all day "waiting to see" if a simulator happens to free up ....... get put in VT-2.

If you wanna fly a RI sim and a PA solo in the same day (trust me you don't) ..... get put in VT-3.

I was in VT-6 and had a GREAT time. If it was possible for you to fly ..... you were up in the air and they really care about their people. Troop welfare was a prime concern. I only had one period when I was not flying and it was just cause I had to wait for a FORM partner.

Sh!t - it was the exact same 20 years ago. Too funny.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Uhh ... I'd like to see the data supporting you unbiased "consensus". Did I miss the memo, or was there a vote ... ?

I wasn't trying to imply that there was some sort of scientific study (are you an academy grad?) I just know that the gouge that floats around TW-5, including from the Civilians that work in aircraft issue, etc. all say that I'm pretty lucky to be in 6. Maybe they say that about all the squadrons. Even if I am biased, I don't see any biased VT-2 or 3 types on here. And JAMN is right. There are some hold-ups in 3. It may take a little longer to get through, but that also depends on what service you're in.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Coming at it from the other side, I'm hearing the same things about -6. I don't hear bad things about -2, but -6 seems to be the most respected right now. I can actually give you some data to support that, but it really doesn't matter. Things change over time, and in the end you can't pick your squadron as a stud, so live w/ it.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Commute from P'Cola to whiting can vary GREATLY depending on where you are in P'Cola.

From around 110 and 10 (governors gate/kings mill/eaton square area) it is approx 35 minutes.

From NAS it is like 60 minutes+

BUT, you don't have to live in Milton where the Walmart is the main excitement.

But if you are liek me, you might like the drive a lot of days. Time to unwind or get prepped mentally to do the event.

To Nittany: Beats me!

Hey ... I'm in Meridian and Walmart IS the main excitement (hehe). No **** .... the other day I saw High School kids hangin out in Walmart like I used to hang out in the mall when I was in High School. What is the world coming to.

Enjoy Pcola while u can. I *****ed about Pcola when I was in Primary but I went back a few weeks ago to hang wit my boyz and Seville never looked better ..... you don't know what you've got until you get something worse (hehehehehe)

Peace,

-Spin

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
..... you don't know what you've got until you get something worse (hehehehehe)

EXACTLY my thoughts on moving home to California after Wings, and counting down the months/weeks/days/MINUTES until I get to go back. Nowhere better, in my biased opinion.