• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trw 5

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
No, I was being sarcastic. API is still 6 weeks, but I just saw a bunch of people start API within 2 weeks to the day of checking in, and immediately ship out to Primary 2 days after graduating. As opposed to, say, 8 months for last year's group. Whee

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
No, I was being sarcastic. API is still 6 weeks, but I just saw a bunch of people start API within 2 weeks to the day of checking in, and immediately ship out to Primary 2 days after graduating. As opposed to, say, 8 months for last year's group. Whee

It seems most ship out quickly to primary but there is still a 2 - 3 week delay once you checkin to primary to actually start...service and situation dependant of course...

Spin

SNA in Meridian
VT-6 was awsome ... if you wanna fly and not get "SCHEDULED" for standby and instead get treated like an officer and just have to keep your cell phone with you incase the weather clears up and they can call you in ... get in VT-6.

If you wanna get scheduled for standby for a sim (god knows why) and have to sit at the squadron all day "waiting to see" if a simulator happens to free up ....... get put in VT-2.

If you wanna fly a RI sim and a PA solo in the same day (trust me you don't) ..... get put in VT-3.

I was in VT-6 and had a GREAT time. If it was possible for you to fly ..... you were up in the air and they really care about their people. Troop welfare was a prime concern. I only had one period when I was not flying and it was just cause I had to wait for a FORM partner.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you wanna fly a RI sim and a PA solo in the same day (trust me you don't) ..... get put in VT-3.

[FONT=verdana,arial]
bs.gif
Gonna have to call it on that . . . VT-3 skeds was weird when I was there but not THAT weird. That's a rumor based on their old front office, I believe. Granted it's been 6 months but they were moving towards doing away with more than one stage of training at once when I went through. The skipper was real big on that, actually.
[/FONT]

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you wanna get scheduled for standby for a sim (god knows why) and have to sit at the squadron all day "waiting to see" if a simulator happens to free up ....... get put in VT-2.

That never ever happened while I was in VT-2. Mind you, this was over a year ago. And VT-6 had standby when I was in Primary.

thepilot33

I am in VT-35 in the advanced tilt rotor program and have now seen both Trawing 5 and Trawing 4. Trawing 5 is by far the better wing. Who ever talked about going to Vance is out of their mind. It is Air Force training, which is nothing like Marine/Navy flight training. Just because you went to Vance does not mean you have a better chance at selecting jets. In fact from what I have seen over the past 7 months is that the highest number of jets selections are coming from Trawing 5, many from VT-6. At Vance you are on a 12-hour a day guided curriculum and watched over constantly. Yes I do know a couple of guys in the Marine Corps who selected jets out of Vance, but they all have the same story, they were miserable. Plus being in Pensacola or Corpus Christi will allow you to become friends with individuals who you will spend a lot of time with in the future. Marine/Navy flight training focuses heavily on emergency procedures, especially in the air, which makes you a more confident pilot. From what I have been told (could be wrong) is that at Vance you do not receive simulated emergencies in the air. For anyone who is thinking about choosing Vance, I strongly suggest that you talk with someone that is currently there or who has already been there before making a decision like that.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Currently, I would have to pick VT-6 as the one people want, at least marines. They don't have standby, which I know 2 does. And it sucks. Personally, sitting around when I could be taking care ofoh, I don't know...ANYTHING ELSE is a waste. But hey, thats just me.

The wait for VT-3 right now is really long. They are actually having the studs do their other ground school classes before they start. And they all hate it. I have not met one who says they are happy about THAT situation at all. And although they kleep saying it is going to change, and the waits will go down, it hasn't happened....and they have been saying that for a long time.

The guys in 6 seem to get treated just a little better, too. Sort of like a teacher/student officer/officer relationship.

But it is a moot point because you don't get to pick your squadron.

The wait for Whiting out of API is currently the shortest, then corpus, then Vance. There was NO pool out of primary for navy/marines for a little while. They were starteing the day they checked in.

Hope this info helps.

FLY_USMC

pilot
In fact from what I have seen over the past 7 months is that the highest number of jets selections are coming from Trawing 5, many from VT-6.

The average NSS of Marines coming out of the 33rd and 8th at Vance was 61 last fiscal. Now they have less of a pool to pull numbers from then Whiting and Corpus which could skew it, but you might want to take back that statement? An Air Force friend of mine told me that over the last 5 drops, their has been 12 jet slots, and 3 Commodore's List grads with 76, 74, and 67 NSS at Vance. I think that's pretty good for the devil dogs.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
this might sound stupid but do you sched things by the instructor's time or by when you want to fly in primary? also, what is the average commute from pcola to whiting?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
this might sound stupid but do you sched things by the instructor's time or by when you want to fly in primary? also, what is the average commute from pcola to whiting?

You normally don't have any input into your schedule, other then snived events- everything is scheduled for you. Its your responsibility to check the schedule daily, and show up for events prepared.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot

You're in the Navy, what you want has nothing to do with what you'll get. have you ever heard of needs of the Navy?

But yes, as stated above you just check the sked online to see when you're flying. Get ready for the 0530 brief, it'll happen.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
The average NSS of Marines coming out of the 33rd and 8th at Vance was 61 last fiscal. Now they have less of a pool to pull numbers from then Whiting and Corpus which could skew it, but you might want to take back that statement? An Air Force friend of mine told me that over the last 5 drops, their has been 12 jet slots, and 3 Commodore's List grads with 76, 74, and 67 NSS at Vance. I think that's pretty good for the devil dogs.

That figure is a little misleading. There has been a direct correlation between people with high flight time and their NSS scores, despite what people say BEFORE flight school.

And the Marines send their folks with a lot of flight time to Vance.

And while that "average" (don't know where that number came from, but it doesn't seem accurate based on the scores of the people from trawing-5 I have seen get jets over the vance guys) may be high, I don't think it really has much bearing to the average-joe SNA heading to vance/whiting/corpus.

If someone wants AF training, that is up to them. If they have a lot of hours, they probably won't have a choice. But every so often so guys go with the attitude, "I just want jets at all costs, so I am going to vance because it will help me get jets." I met a bunch of those guys at whiting.....back for helo training.

What did they have to say about this? "Dude, don't go to vance."

I think their wounds were salted by the jet selections from TRWING 5.

The point? If you think you can go to vance and have a better chance of jets, you might want to do some investigation with people who have actually gone throught the program rather than from rumors.