• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Truman Fire; FA-18C Ejection

Pags

N/A
pilot
The sailors will keep them on them because they also function as a music player and game device. So while ABHAN is sitting in the garage and should be studying he can instead rock out and play video games.

My sailors used cell phone cameras advantageously during an INSURV; they went around and took pics of all the bolts, screws, and fittings we needed more of and took the pics to supply and said I need 10 of these in this pic, 10 of these....was a pretty good solution from the millennial deck plates.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
Cellphones with cameras are not allowed on submarines... see how well that worked out with enforcing that rule... That includes marines at the gates doing random searches for contraband such as cell phones with cameras (saw a guy try to hide one inside his coffee mug once). I remember we weren't even allowed to bring phones that had the cameras removed, had to pay the extra money to the cell phone company for the "government" version of the cell phone for three times the amount as the normal phone.. just missing a camera or a spot for a camera.

exNavyOffRec

Cellphones with cameras are not allowed on submarines... see how well that worked out with enforcing that rule... That includes marines at the gates doing random searches for contraband such as cell phones with cameras (saw a guy try to hide one inside his coffee mug once). I remember we weren't even allowed to bring phones that had the cameras removed, had to pay the extra money to the cell phone company for the "government" version of the cell phone for three times the amount as the normal phone.. just missing a camera or a spot for a camera.

cellphones without cameras means the grandma phone, I think they call it the "jitterbug" it has big buttons too! :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you ever been underway?

If cell phones had been completely banned, I probably would have grabbed a pitchfork and led the angry mob.
How did I ever get through deployments in the 80s? I want you kids to remember just what the old man was made of. Deployment without cell phone and email, that is some hard core shit right there.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Cell phones haven't been allowed on subs for longer than my time in the Navy because the entire submarine is a secret container, but the typical mantra was "I don't want to see it in operational spaces." My eng almost made my EDMC shit a brick when he allowed people to use iphones for music while field daying the engine room...message was 'there is no way you can accidentally take a picture of something back there with this thing. You have to press multiple buttons to do it. If you do that I will make sure you are punished to the maximum extent of the law.' We had no issues.

However, google 'cell phones on U.S. submarines' and you'll see a slew of recent cases in the press of idiots taking pictures of sensitive information and posting it on the internet. One CO even got fired for this because he ordered the OMBUDSMAN to post a bunch of pictures without the Nav (security manager) reviewing them... one of which had the FCS displayed in crew's mess with the big red SECRET banner on it.

I have heard that the sub force is trying to roll back to the pre-internet era in a draconian attempt to deal with the problem. The only issue here is that small PEDs like iPads are a god-send in an environment with such limited personal space.

Here is one such story. Notice that the IG investigating the idiots who set up the camera to take pics of female officers showering then discovered that there was a 'large breach in security.' We got here because we never adopted policy to match with the reality of shifting tech and culture.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...ed-with-violating-navy-cell-phone-policy.html

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would be wary of using my cell phone on the boat nowadays, too many chances to lose it and the data on it.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
A gentle schwack from a hammer and a wire brad could solve at least the rear-facing camera option... probably cheaper than the "gov't model" option.
I bet the folks over at iFixit could show how to remove a camera from any number of PEDs more gently. Probably not reversibly, but at least w/o little pieces of glass everywhere.

Edit: here you go, at least for iPhone 6:
Front camera remove/replace - might be reversible, but you'd have to buy a new harness
Rear camera remove/replace - you'd have to fab something to plug the hole - might be reversible.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would be wary of using my cell phone on the boat nowadays, too many chances to lose it and the data on it.
I've had my iPhone with me for every underway period (mostly for tunes). Never had any issues.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
A gentle schwack from a hammer and a wire brad could solve at least the rear-facing camera option... probably cheaper than the "gov't model" option.
It's not just the camera. Personal devices capable of any data or wi-fi connection aren't authorized, either.

In fact the Navy decided to sink some R&D into this thing to alleviate just that. Quite honestly, the 'keep it in your rack' rule, if formally adopted, was a much cheaper and easier solution.

azguy

None
That's kind of my point. There are many Federal buildings that I go into and used to work in where they are verboten, because of the unsecured coms and the camera. I would consider a warship a similar place.

Employees don't have to live in the Federal Building for months on end. There are a lot of old-timer SWOs in favor of banning cell phones outright; fortunately I've yet to hear of a ship doing that.

I think we are much better off teaching everyone the potential harm of cell phones and how to mitigate that, and then trusting them to do the right thing.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I think we are much better off teaching everyone the potential harm of cell phones and how to mitigate that, and then trusting them to do the right thing.

Wait, you're saying we trust people to do the right thing and treat them like adults? Shouldn't we punish everyone for the sins of the few? This is the Navy god damnit!

I get there is a (obviously) generational thing going on with this. Thankfully, logic has prevailed thus far. Just because paper letters, film rolls, and teletype messages worked doesn't mean we haven't figured out better ways to do things.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Second only to the "keep it in your pants" resolution, which seems to have worked...well, not at all.
So are you saying that the Navy should adopt a zero tolerance policy toward servicemembers having sex, just in case an allowance of sex gives someone the urge to rape someone?

If anything could actually benefit from mando no-shit this is important training, it's opsec. I think sitting down junior sailors and conveying to them the fact that they are on a warship and everything on it is sensitive information can go a long way. I've seen it work in action.

But when you try to explain to ET3 Timmy that he can't have a cell phone in his rack because the Chinese are going to hack his phone and program it to unkowingly record the sounds of him whacking off into a happy sock and upload it when he returns to port, he thinks you are a retard. And when ET3 Timmy thinks you are a retard, he's much more likely to ignore whatever it is you told him and try to break the rules.