• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Truman Fire; FA-18C Ejection

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wow. I'm sure the ASO is really pleased that photos from the flight deck of their mishap is showing up on facebook.

Unless that picture was taken from the ASO/AMB's camera, there is nothing wrong with that picture. And there is certainly nothing privileged about it.

That looks like a cell phone pic and any idiot can walk up and take a picture of a mishap site and post it. Out of courtesy, it probably shouldn't be done, but there's nothing technically wrong with it.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless that picture was taken from the ASO/AMB's camera, there is nothing wrong with that picture. And there is certainly nothing privileged about it.

That looks like a cell phone pic and any idiot can walk up and take a picture of a mishap site and post it. Out of courtesy, it probably shouldn't be done, but there's nothing technically wrong with it.
I'm betting on a blue/yellowshirt....

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

True, but that doesn't mean it's good form. I'm in the midst of a Class B (would have been an A but we fall under the UAV exemption) investigation right now. I'd be fairly upset if one of my Marines decided to release his own cell phone photos of the mishap. We have PAO types for a reason and we don't need to air our dirty laundry to everyone on the internet.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's poor form indeed. I'm just glad we don't have attention whores doing a duckface selfie in front of the wreckage.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Just out of curiosity, why are cell phones allowed on the boat?

It is kind of impractical to ban them totally. People are going to bring them in their bag so you can use them when you get into port or just for music when working out. There is no cell service underway so people don't normally carry them and there is not much of a problem.

jmcquate

Contributor
It is kind of impractical to ban them totally. People are going to bring them in their bag so you can use them when you get into port or just for music when working out. There is no cell service underway so people don't normally carry them and there is not much of a problem.
That's kind of my point. There are many Federal buildings that I go into and used to work in where they are verboten, because of the unsecured coms and the camera. I would consider a warship a similar place.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's kind of my point. There are many Federal buildings that I go into and used to work in where they are verboten, because of the unsecured coms and the camera. I would consider a warship a similar place.
The whole boat is not a SCIF. Some places on the boat are. Just like everywhere else in DoD, outside those places, there are little holders next to the door for people to leave their cell phones. This really isn't hard.

jmcquate

Contributor
The whole boat is not a SCIF. Some places on the boat are. Just like everywhere else in DoD, outside those places, there are little holders next to the door for people to leave their cell phones. This really isn't hard.
Make's sense. I guess that 80% of the crew being under 25, they couldn't function without them in their hands...........whether they could get a signal or not.

IRfly

None
Have you ever been underway?

If cell phones had been completely banned, I probably would have grabbed a pitchfork and led the angry mob.