• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun ICEMAN costume patches

Which is more gay?

• Top Gun Patches

Votes: 61 66.3%
  • Arrested in Ninja Costume

Votes: 31 33.7%

• Total voters

finster100

top gun patches

Ice man patches. Ive been looking for the same thing, found a good site in america but the guy screwed me over and took payment but didnt send the goods. Try. . .

http://www.aircombat.co.uk/index.html?http://www.aircombat.co.uk/Pages/Information/Welcome.html

Search for top gun patches in there, this might be helful or not specific enough but have a look anyway. My costume is the same so i know how difficult it is to find.

Im sure all the guys dissin top gun will look delightful in something as original as a pimp or snow white. ha.

Good luck! You are still dangerous!!! You can be my wing man anytime!

ps, dont forget your blue polo!!!

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Im sure all the guys dissin top gun will look delightful in something as original as a pimp or snow white. ha.

I'd rather see some lady falling out of a snow white costume then some guy going around chomping the air. I don't know though, because I've never seen anyone try and go as a Top Gun character... ever... in my entire life... I swear...

Renegade One

None
Shnugg or HJ, Old RO or Renegade would have a more definative answer on this, but my understanding, and some of the pics I've seen suggest that the knit collared shirt under the flight suit was de rigeur apparel in some of the chic-er VF squadrons in the 80's.

It wasn't, to my knowledge anyway, ever "required" per se (someone call BS if you like). I know when I was in VF-51 (ahem...when we were doing ALL the Tomcat flying for the movie, by the way...and just before history rolls over that fact...), we wore red shirts under the bags. Skipper and a few others liked the polos, I preferred regular red T's with a good crew neck (hot days) or Land's End "quality" turtlenecks (vice FD jerseys with the sag-o-matic collars) for dooler weather. So...no particular standardization, as long as it was the right color. By the time I got to VF-24 several years later, the polo thing seemed to have died out. that's how I remember it....
V/R, Spike

Renegade One

None
....apart from PropAddict, SDNalgene and Jeff29 can anyone actually help??

For some reason, my 'puter at work won't open the pics you originally posted...the security Klingons at work somewhere, I suppose.
However, after Google-ing some pics of Iceman, it looks like he's wearing a RANGER double Centurion patch, a CVW-5 patch, a regular "Anytime Baby" Tomcat patch (all on right sleeve), and some NAVAIR-type patch on his right lower chest (may be Naval Air Weapons Center or something similar), and one of the many "bogus" squadron patches on his right chest. The one he's got is the logo of (then) VA-25 "Fist of the Fleet" re-tagged as VF-1 or some such thing. You'll recall that "Mav" always wore what was actually the RVAW-110 (E-2 RAG) patch retagged as VF-XX (don't remember). During all of that filming, we had our jets painted up with all of those "bogus logos" on the tails...and a total of 4 aircraft painted as Maverick's MODEX 104. Made manning up interesting...had to actually check the BuNo on the fuselage to make sure you were getting into the right jet. So...some of the patches don't really exist...unless some company is/was making them solely for marketing.
I never quite understood the "art direction" decision to go full retard with patches all over the jackets and flight suits...many of which didn't make sense, or fit the character (Mav wears some Marine Air Wing patch, as I recall...). But they never asked my opinion...which frankly surprised me.:)

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
...At one time, everyone of these guys thought Top Gun was the coolest thing known to man.

Agreed. What if Top Gun had been made with the new Hornets of the era, rather than middle-aged Tomcats? I doubt the Tomcat would be nearly as endeared by you all as it is today, excluding its actual flyers, of course, who surely love them and miss them.

I suggest an anonymous poll that asks "Do you own a copy of Top Gun?" "I do, but I think it's homo" can't be one of the choices.

Lobster

Agreed. What if Top Gun had been made with the new Hornets of the era, rather than middle-aged Tomcats? I doubt the Tomcat would be nearly as endeared by you all as it is today, excluding its actual flyers, of course, who surely love them and miss them.

I suggest an anonymous poll that asks "Do you own a copy of Top Gun?" "I do, but I think it's homo" can't be one of the choices.

The tomcat would have been legendary with or without the movie, the public's view and opinion was changed for the better than it aready was but the hornet has proven itself and is legendary in its own right, and i'm sure it will continue be an unreal aircraft for years to come...

...didn't some one say something a while back about top gun 2 coming back...maybe hornets will be in that one :tongue2_1

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

I own 2 copies of Top Gun...VHS and DVD...I love that fucking movie, and I am not afraid to say it in public...:D

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
^^^^ I got it on DVD and I have the soundtrack.

Someone gave me the movie poster and the Special Edition 2 disc DVD last Christmas, but that's where I had to draw the line. Returned at Best Buy for a down payment on the 007 box set.

Lobster

I'll be that guy that wore out at least 3 VHS tapes when I was a little runt. I've got two copies of it on DVD now and of course the soundtrack...yeah...that guy is me

B

Blutonski816

didn't wear out any VHS tapes, but I did scratch up a DVD from watching it during lunch in the JROTC spaces on fridays when I was in HS.

I now own the 2-disc edition, but I actually watch disc 2 more often to hear "Viper" Pettigrew, "Wizzard" McCabe and "Flex" Galpin talk about the aerial stuff while watching the sweet archival flying footage.

Yeah, I have the soundtrack. Pay for it?? Only if bandwidth is an acceptable form of currency.

The way I like to think of it all is like this:

"Top Gun" is Cool... TOPGUN is cooler...

Dudes Talking About Polos said:

I'm not a fan of polos on their own (I usually have to rock an undershirt to feel right), so I'm gonna jump on the "polos are gay" bandwagon strictly on the issue of comfort. I can't imagine comfortably wearing a polo under a bag.
I did see a video a few years ago from Navy News Stand about how the last Tomcat Crews to go through the Topgun syllabus at NSAWC were rockin' the polos and Moustaches.
Moustaches, cool. Polos, Gay.

Zissou

Banned
If you can wear a polo shirt into combat? I say go for it.

Not many people can say "There I was sweating through my LaCoste when out of nowhere..."

It sounds pretty cool for novelties sake anyway.

Renegade One

None

"If 'ifs and buts' were candy and nuts...it'd be Christmas every day!" Famous quote by an old CO of mine, Monroe "Hawk" Smith, CO, VF-213, 1979-1980.

Others have said it well enough...Tomcat had it's rightly earned place...made even more noble when we pulled our heads out of our collective asses and put precision-guided weps on the airplane...and the Hornet has earned it's own "place in the sun".

The movie was GREAT for the Navy and the F-14 community. Let's all hope the NEXT movie...whatever it is...does as well, and encourages the next generation to pursue this awesome career.

My personal "mental screenplay" has Pete "Mav" Mitchell coming off of command of NIMITZ as a 1-star selectee and being sent to NSAWC to "re-inculcate" the fighter spirit in the Topgun program. No slam on NSWAC...I doubt they need any "re-inculcating"..but you need a plot line, right?

Old guys like to dream...so sue me!

Reactions: Tom