• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun ICEMAN costume patches

Which is more gay?

• Top Gun Patches

Votes: 61 66.3%
  • Arrested in Ninja Costume

Votes: 31 33.7%

• Total voters

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"If 'ifs and buts' were candy and nuts...it'd be Christmas every day!" Famous quote by an old CO of mine, Monroe "Hawk" Smith, CO, VF-213, 1979-1980......
HEY ... I know that guy. Years earlier ... and I don't think that was a "Monroe original" ... but that's O.K. ... :)

*edit* oooops, just read Tex's post ... suspicions confirmed. I loved Dandy Don ...
:)

navyao

"Hawk" Smith

Spike,

The autobiography about Capt. Smith, have you read it? I know he's a Navy TACAIR legend and I worked for LPO's and Chief's at Miramar and in Enterprise who worked for him and loved him. If you've read it, is it worth buying? I've read comments that the book has a lot of flaws. Your 2 cents?
Thanks.

Renegade One

None
Spike,

The autobiography about Capt. Smith, have you read it? I know he's a Navy TACAIR legend and I worked for LPO's and Chief's at Miramar and in Enterprise who worked for him and loved him. If you've read it, is it worth buying? I've read comments that the book has a lot of flaws. Your 2 cents?
Thanks.

I enjoyed it...very much...but wonder how it would hit you if you didn't know "Hawk" personally. The "Roger Ball" website has a review I wrote (along with many others), but doesn't include a bunch of nit-pick typos, etc., that I noticed...all of which a decent, Navy-savvy editor could/would have caught. Problem for me was that his entire career after TOPGUN, including command of the "Black Lions", merited only 4 pages at the end. However...Duck Auten is writing a sequel...work in progress, so I definitely advise reading this one first.

Renegade One

None
A quote which originated with "Dandy Don" Meredith.

-end threadjack

In all fairness to Monroe...I'm sure he never met a pithy quote he didn't like. Probably used a few Yogi Berras and Casey Stengels somewhere during his time,as well. :)

navyao

Roger that Spike, thanks. I didn't know Capt. Smith, I just 'knew' of him. The same with "Bug" Roach and some of the other Miramar "legends." I'll check it out.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
"If 'ifs and buts' were candy and nuts...it'd be Christmas every day!" Famous quote by an old CO of mine, Monroe "Hawk" Smith, CO, VF-213, 1979-1980.

Others have said it well enough...Tomcat had it's rightly earned place...made even more noble when we pulled our heads out of our collective asses and put precision-guided weps on the airplane...and the Hornet has earned it's own "place in the sun".

The movie was GREAT for the Navy and the F-14 community. Let's all hope the NEXT movie...whatever it is...does as well, and encourages the next generation to pursue this awesome career.

My personal "mental screenplay" has Pete "Mav" Mitchell coming off of command of NIMITZ as a 1-star selectee and being sent to NSAWC to "re-inculcate" the fighter spirit in the Topgun program. No slam on NSWAC...I doubt they need any "re-inculcating"..but you need a plot line, right?

Old guys like to dream...so sue me!

Hmmm...I was thinking along the lines of Mav returning from splashing those evil MiG-28s...picking up the Top Gun instructor billet...and then a VERY dramatic scene of him asking his detailer "why the f&*K his orders say to report to NAS Fallon instead of Miramar?!?!?!"

Jump cut...and...cue Kelly McGillis then paraphrasing "An Officer and a Gentlement" about not wanting to be with some Okie from Muskogie...and definitely not excited about "Pigs in Space".

That's my Top Gun 2...

Shiddy

Even crazier than this thread, they are in the talks of making a TOP GUN 2!!

edit: I'm not excited about this.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
On the subject of polo shirts, I seem to remember the guys in the paraloft cutting a flightdeck jersey down the front and then sewing up the cut edges so that it would give the appearance of the collar of a polo shirt. They also cut the sleeves off and hemmed them to have a short sleeve look. They actually came out pretty nice and were comfortable as hell, I just hated the green color of all of mine. I think I still have a couple in the attic. I'm moving soon and if I find one I'll post a picture.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
On the subject of polo shirts, I seem to remember the guys in the paraloft cutting a flightdeck jersey down the front and then sewing up the cut edges so that it would give the appearance of the collar of a polo shirt. They also cut the sleeves off and hemmed them to have a short sleeve look. They actually came out pretty nice and were comfortable as hell, I just hated the green color of all of mine. I think I still have a couple in the attic. I'm moving soon and if I find one I'll post a picture.
On my second cruise I had white jerseys for all of one washing, kind of dingy after that till some AO tossed in his red shirts with the whites.