• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Today's Navy or your Grandfather's

Would you rather serve, or have served in today's Navy or the Navy of the 40's and 50

• My Grandfather's Navy

Votes: 51 51.5%
  • Today's more modern Navy

Votes: 48 48.5%

• Total voters

brownshoe

Contributor
One big difference? – Smoking.

Absolutely right, I'd forgotten that a large majority of us smoked back then. I think they were only a dollar or two per carton on the carrier while at sea. I remember going to the boat and having to purchase cig's for all my friends who weren't on the det.

Steve

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Absolutely right, I'd forgotten that a large majority of us smoked back then. I think they were only a dollar or two per carton on the carrier while at sea. I remember going to the boat and having to purchase cig's for all my friends who weren't on the det.

Steve
One buck beyond the three mile limit. Ten cents a pack. It was such a good deal, you couldn't afford NOT to smoke .... :)

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Not to mention that during basic training, only the smokers were allowed breaks (at least in some recruit companies, not mine). Some dudes have told me that they took up smoking so they could get a break.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
One buck beyond the three mile limit. Ten cents a pack. It was such a good deal, you couldn't afford NOT to smoke .... :)

That was a little later!

I remember $0.85 a carton, but then again I also remember "Lucky Strike Green" has gone to war. :eek:

And yesterday I paid $200 for a box of MonteCristo's.

brownshoe

Contributor
I remember $0.85 a carton, but then again I also remember "Lucky Strike Green" has gone to war. :eek:

Jeez Chief… eighty five cents a pack:) I thought I was old:eek: Did you haul my father around the south pacific? He was in the 6th Marine Division. Just kidding... smile.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was a little later!

And yesterday I paid $200 for a box of MonteCristo's.

And I remember when commercial air flight attendants use to pass out little 5-to-a-pack cigarettes in-flight, free.

LS/MFT

toastedwj2.jpg

brownshoe

Contributor

I'm laughing now... I remember men bringing empty seabags on board during a "det" for hauling cartons back to the base.

Steve

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Rafe's Rules

I had occasion to pick through some old records today ... came across this sheet - Rafe's Rules ... any of you "old guys" remember this stuff; it was kind of an Air Wing everything-you-ever-needed-to-know list.

For example:

1. LIFE IS NOT FAIR
2. INDECISION IS THE CORNERSTONE OF FLEXIBILITY
3. TAKE YOUR SHOTS WHEN YOU CAN GET THEM
4. DO UNTO OTHERS BEFORE THEY HAVE A CHANCE TO DO UNTO YOU
5. QUALITY IN GENERAL IS FAR SUPERIOR TO QUANTITY -- ESPECIALLY IF DEPLOYED IN LARGE NUMBERS

.... and so forth. The list is @ 35 items of old Navy "truisms" and dates to at least the '50's if not earlier.

Want the rest of them ??? :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
O.K. ... Rafe's Rules to live by ... old Naval Aviation style. Let us see if this works:
Remember 'em well. But I had forgotten they were called "Rafe's Rules." (And who was Rafe, anyway?)

I think everyone of those made it on the R/R blackboard (which were black before green, then green before white, then white before power point…) as a Quote of the Day (QOD), or "Hard Saying."

And then there were "Falcon Codes"…………:eek: