• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Today's Navy or your Grandfather's

Would you rather serve, or have served in today's Navy or the Navy of the 40's and 50

• My Grandfather's Navy

Votes: 51 51.5%
  • Today's more modern Navy

Votes: 48 48.5%

• Total voters

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do you think are the biggest differences between the Navy of the 40's and 50's and today?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What do you think are the biggest differences between the Navy of the 40's and 50's and today?

Political correctness.

11912649xm4.jpg

Right is right and wrong is wrong ... i.e., race: in the Navy of the time frame you reference, blacks and filipinos could only serve as mess stewards, and that was wrong ... but PC is bullshit and modern PC is killin' you guys. And it's killing our country.

Figuratively and literally.

*edit* Hey ... I didn't even see Lawman's post prior to putting mine up ... so I guess it's true ??? :)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Political correctness.

11912649xm4.jpg

Right is right and wrong is wrong ... i.e., race: in the Navy of the time frame you reference, blacks and filipinos could only serve as mess stewards, and that was wrong ... but PC is bullshit and modern PC is killin' you guys.

Figuratively and literally.

Amen from the back pew. This is precisely why I am not playing anymore.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Although I'd love to have flown in a recip aircraft, hindsight is just that.
Plus the chili-mac on the boat is sooooo good these days.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Arrright, butjust remember you asked me.

Cannot vote, as my views are mixed. I think the Officer/Sailor of today is far better than in my day. In particular, I like today's large number of "priors", other than LDO/WO in the "O" corps, makes for a better Navy. Concur with A4s that PC is killing us all. Right is right and wrong is wrong, there ain't no "twain".

Biggest difference:

I cannot get over having split-tails on ships or overseas locations such as Duva Duva, other than nurses. I hear tell that we now even have male nurses. Would have a hard time serving on a ship today with the girls on board.

Don't ask/Don't tell? I guess we had it back then. Could spot one a mile away, but paid it no mind if it did it's job and it behaved. If they would allow queers to openly serve in my Navy, I KNOW I would end up in the brig.

Gonna mull this over and might tell you what I really think a bit later.

Ok so I lied, I did vote.:confused::confused:

BackOrdered

Contributor
Im just gonna go ahead and say it....

Black Sailors who arent cooks.

Well you beat me. Yes, my grandfather was a mess cook during WWII and had a 0% chance of earning commission. I'm reminded constantly how privileged we are today every time I think about it.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Some of the sim instructors talk about how they flew whatever aircraft was at the station they were stationed at. So, they flew alot of different airframes. Now that would be pretty cool.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Something I would point out...Although flying Corsair etc, or manning the big guns on the Mo would have been amazing, I don't think you can argue that being a sailor now isn't a better job than being a sailor then. While the PC bs that A4's and others allude to certainly is a cancer...lets not forget that we make a living wage now. We can live in town, have a family and still afford to eat. Is money everything??? Of course not...but it matters. Sailors today receive educational benefits, training etc...that they never would have imagined in the first half of the 20th century.

Wipe the nostalgic tears folks...and really think about this question.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Wipe the nostalgic tears folks...and really think about this question.
O.K. ... I'll phrase it my way instead of the original poster's way ...

I'd rather SERVE in the Navy
of the 40's/50's as a Naval Aviator than in today's Navy. I would not make it for 20 years in today's Navy. I would have to compromise my principles to do so .... and I won't do that ....

Does that work better for you ???? :)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
O.K. ... I'll phrase it my way instead of the original poster's way ...

I'd rather SERVE in the Navy of the 40's/50's as a Naval Aviator than in today's Navy. I would not make it for 20 years in today's Navy. I would have to compromise my principles to do so .... and I won't do that ....

Does that work better for you ???? :)

No problem with how you phrased it the first time...;)

Doesn't leave a young pup alot of hope though does it?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a serious student of history, one of the most interesting things to find out that in the 'good ol days' were not always all that good. I agree with Lawman and the others about some of the great inequalities that existed back in the 'good ol days'. I also agree with A4s to a certain degree to though, there were definitely some good things too.

So I guess I am like Chief, conflicted. But I did vote, for todays Navy. Too many 'flaws' and problems with the Navy of old. Two of the biggest tippers to today's Navy, the value placed on life and accountability at all levels nowadays.

Believe it! ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
No problem with how you phrased it the first time...;)

Doesn't leave a young pup alot of hope though does it?
I dunno ... there's ALWAYS hope .... and "they" can only take from you that which you allow to be taken .... if YOU give in to PC bullshit in your Navy of today -- it's YOUR fault. I'm talkin' to all of you ...not just scoober.

The BIGGEST change in today's Navy is that E-Men have a better chance at a "real" life than in the 'ol days ... today they can actually drive "real automobiles" and live in "real houses" in "real neighborhoods" and have "real families".... and have a good chance of obtaining an Officer's commission, should they so desire.

That's an improvement. Not too much else jumps right out there, however .... :)

MrSaturn

Contributor