• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Today's Navy or your Grandfather's

Would you rather serve, or have served in today's Navy or the Navy of the 40's and 50

• My Grandfather's Navy

Votes: 51 51.5%
  • Today's more modern Navy

Votes: 48 48.5%

• Total voters

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
. Pretty much all the females at my ROTC unit feel the same way. We're excited to do our time, but we don't see it as a career thing.

I'm still undecided on this issue as far as which Navy, but, I think this statment, if taken as a whole, is telling enough to contradict your most previous statement. While there may be just as many men who 5 and dive, I would be hard pressed to see a statistic that shows men as a percentage leaving in higher numbers than women after minimum service time.

As a slight threadjack, is NROTC committment after winging seriously only 6 years? It's 8 for USNA after wings, so ~ 10 years minimum. That definitely deters people away from Aviation here.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
While there may be just as many men who 5 and dive, I would be hard pressed to see a statistic that shows men as a percentage leaving in higher numbers than women after minimum service time.

Now, I'm sure there might be a whole lot of reasons, but why does that matter?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....But even the fact that many women don't want to make a career of the Navy is no reason to exclude them. ...
No problem-o if you don't want to make the Navy a career. But who said anything about exclusion??? I wanted my daughter to consider the Navy as a career option. She was born on the Marine Corps Birthday. I could have given her unbelievable advice (:D). All the stars were in alignment. But it was O.K. with me when she chose another profession, as I suspect all I really wanted to see was her marching on the parade ground with that sword .... :)

I said I'd rather be in Grandpa's Navy instead of todays Navy ... Were women "excluded" from Grandpa's Navy?? I don't remember that one ...

With regards to women in general terms, I said I'd rather be treated like a "lady" (?)
than a "gender-neutered, one size fits all, military "person".

I said men and women are not created equal. That's why they killed the wall @ Pensacola, to use the example at hand ...

I said compromises have been made in the airlines and in the military to get "the women" onboard. I ain't makin' this stuff up, you know.

I said
"You get the job ONLY if you can "do" the job." No slack with me just 'cause you're a woman. Not everyone agrees with that ...

I don't want women in the combat arms. That's just the way it is with me ... but then, only a fool would "want" to be in combat in the first place. It's something you do ... not something you "want".

I'd still take the Navy of the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even 70's over today's Navy. But then, I take those times in society in general over todays as well .... Hope this helps ...
:)

EDIT* ... just a thought -- this thread ain't about "women in the Navy" ... sooooooooooooooo .... let's drop it or start our quarterly thread rant-whine re: women in the Navy. Women are in the Navy of today, and women were in Grandpa's Navy of days gone by. They just didn't want to be "one of the boys" in the ol' days. This thread is about something else, yes ....:):sleep_125

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wasn't trying to turn it into a thread based on one, but given the number of responses that basically said they wanted to be in a Navy with no females on ships, etc., I felt like throwing my point out that I wanted to be in a Navy where I could serve as an NFO.

Oh and Dan I meant to say in my class (not my entire unit), which is a grand total of 6 females. I know of the classes both ahead of me and below me there are ones who want to make it a career. Indeed had you asked me a year ago I would have said I definitely want to make it one, but things change.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hookers and blow. That and GPS systems.

Uhhhh, not that I would know or anything........but I woudn't be so sure about the Hookers part being different........you just gotta be more careful, a shot ain't always gonna clear you up now.......:eek:

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do you think are the biggest differences between the Navy of the 40's and 50's and today?

One big difference? – Smoking.

I couldn't believe it starting in pre-flight ground school in Pensacola, the instructor passed out butt-kits (actually R-1820 pistons from T-28's or S-2's or whatever, for ash-trays) at the start of class. He then announced the "smoking lamp was lit" for class, and to "smoke'm if we got'em." A smoker at the time (a large majority were), I was impressed since I hadn't been able smoke in class at college. But in the Navy at the time, you could light up in most every class.

Back then, if you walked into a ready room aboard ship during an AOM from the rear, you could barely see the front for all the smoke – cigar and cigarette. Indeed, many cockpits were similarly full of smoke.

Lucky Strike cigarettes long had TV commercials in black and white when I was a kid bragging about how they provided servicemen overseas, and at-sea with free cartons of Lucky Strike cigarettes. And doctors went on TV ads saying how smoking was healthy and calmed the nerves.

Now that is a big change.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Oh and Dan I meant to say in my class (not my entire unit), which is a grand total of 6 females. I know of the classes both ahead of me and below me there are ones who want to make it a career. Indeed had you asked me a year ago I would have said I definitely want to make it one, but things change.

Touche.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One big difference? – Smoking....
Ahhhhhhh ... how true (*cough*) .... be still my (*cough*wheeze*) nicotine encrusted still-beating heart. :)

A cigarette in the cockpit always steadied one's nerves prior to push out of night-time Marshal. Didn't do much for one's eyesight .... but one has to learn to order ones priorities. Yes??? No???

VERY true in fact (all of CAT's post -- except we could smoke in college lecture halls) ... in fact, the notorious Navy "box lunch" of the period even sported small 4-5 cigarette packs buried inside along with the dry bologna/processed cheese sandwich, greasy cold fried chicken, apple, and candy bar. If you didn't like the brand of cigarette you drew -- you could usually trade with someone else.

YUMMMMMM !!!! (*wheeze*choke*)

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Ahhhhhhh ... how true (*cough*) .... be still my (*cough*wheeze*) nicotine encrusted still-beating heart. :)

A cigarette in the cockpit always steadied one's nerves prior to push out of night-time Marshal. Didn't do much for one's eyesight .... but one has to learn to order ones priorities. Yes??? No???

VERY true in fact (all of CAT's post -- except we could smoke in college lecture halls) ... in fact, the notorious Navy "box lunch" of the period even sported small 4-5 cigarette packs buried inside along with the dry bologna/processed cheese sandwich, greasy cold fried chicken, apple, and candy bar. If you didn't like the brand of cigarette you drew -- you could usually trade with someone else.

YUMMMMMM !!!! (*wheeze*choke*)

Smoke in the cockpit. Never could bring myself to light up there, maybe the fear of a death star moment. I did, however, see the faint glow from the front seat from time to time, usually on a night Barcap. Probably not to calm the nerves, but fight the boredom.:sleep_125

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Smoke in the cockpit. Never could bring myself to light up there, maybe the fear of a death star moment. I did, however, see the faint glow from the front seat from time to time, usually on a night Barcap. Probably not to calm the nerves, but fight the boredom.:sleep_125
Yeah ... and just so no one misunderstands ... I would never "counsel" smoking in the cockpit ... then or now. I just did it 'cause I wanted to -- it was verboten ... but then, so were a lot of things that a lot of guys did back in the ol' days.

I actually QUIT smoking because of night trap related incident ... :D

I hated it in the airline cockpit when it was still allowed and banned it in my cockpit when I put on 4 stripes. Then the airlines and the FEDS took care of the "issue" (as they say in California) for me ...

But I still enjoy a good cigar at the right time and place. I must be schizophrenic ...