• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tips on Navy OCS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I am sure it has been said before already, but it sounds like they are pussifying OCS! I think they were having problems with the DIs so this must be their answer. Who are you with the rest of the 9 weeks? The chief? WHAT A JOKE! Chow hall get easy after that? That rifle was a living HELL, feel blessed you don't have to carry that ***** for 7 weeks. I called my DI and he told me, "Sir, this **** is weak!" Secured in 3 weeks! I am glad you didn't get liberty, you haven't earned it.

sarnav

So in week 3 you get internet access? Is this the norm or what? About the PRT I have been told to not max out any areas as you need to show improvement on each successive test. Is this bad gouge or with the new OCS does it really not matter because you get beat for three weeks regardless?
Pussified OCS(to quote 5343) or not, I will still take it, hopefully be on my way in the next few months.

jg5343

pilot
Before everyone freaks out, I am not saying OCS is now EASY. I am sure the suck factor still exists or the Corps would pull out.

Now, MAX OUT EVERYTHING ON THE FIRST DAY! They will love you and leave you alone. You don't need to show improvement if you have a 100% PRT score right? Thats the max points you can get the class, they would love you. Just so you know, I maxed everything on the in PRT and I rarely got messed with and was selected as class president. Food for thought

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Well, the predicted wussifying of OCS has begun. :banghead_

So much for "Naval Aviation, Marine Corp Trained". Seems like the last vestiges of AOCS are being killed off. RIP.
nopity.gif

Meat's prediction: The USMC will not move it's instructors to Newport and when OCS gets here, it will be back to being "kife and fork" school.
puke.gif

Hope the Navy proves me wrong on this.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Last I heard, OCS was now 12 weeks, and Candio phase lasts 3 weeks, vice 2, is that still the case?

FlyingBeagle

pilot
jg5343 said:
Who are you with the rest of the 9 weeks? The chief? WHAT A JOKE!

Are you saying the Chiefs are jokes, or the way they are currently used is a joke? Either way, I don't see why we can't train our own. After all, Chiefs train the enlisted Sailors. Are we selling the enlisted Sailors short by not having Marines train them? I'm not exactly sure where you're coming from so I'll stop here. I just hope no one is saying that the Navy isn't good enough to train it's own.

Ex Rigger

pilot
FlyingBeagle said:
Are you saying the Chiefs are jokes, or the way they are currently used is a joke? Either way, I don't see why we can't train our own. After all, Chiefs train the enlisted Sailors. Are we selling the enlisted Sailors short by not having Marines train them? I'm not exactly sure where you're coming from so I'll stop here. I just hope no one is saying that the Navy isn't good enough to train it's own.
We have second classes running enlisted boot camp......along with Chiefs and First Classes.

Recidivist

Whatever the "pussifying" is, it doesn't really matter because right now OCS is the most common way to get anybody from civilian or enlisted to officer. Pussified or not. I already posted my opinions on that matter in the former thread regarding OCS changes.
my official letter (OCS April) states 12 weeks
For those of us going to "the new" OCS this is great gouge. thanks very much for posting this.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FlyingBeagle said:
That's an interesting point. The Senior Chief and First Class that I had in Navy Boot Camp were just as scary, imposing, tough, and prone to yell at you from 2" away as the OCS DIs. Is OCS changing, sure, but I think calling it "pussified" is a little melodramatic. This is mostly a case of the, "Well back in my day...we had it so hard...2 miles in the snow...uphill both ways," etc. I'm sure the folks at CNET aren't complete idiots and may just know a thing or two about what they're doing and how the changes will affect things at OCS.

Brett

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
To answer a few more questions. As far as the next six weeks go, its all academics. The only time you see your DI is for morning PT or if you or your class start to slack. I'm not really sure about the comment about them having problems with the DI's, I know nothing about that or haven't heard anything. The reason our class team gave us for the new schedule was they wanted to get rid of the pump and dump type of memorization that occured in academics. Now its more of a college semester, where you have all of the classes concurrently and finals at the end.

I'm not exactly sure how the PT was run beforehand, but now you are broken up into three groups for running on MWF: slow, medium and fast which is dependent upon your in PFA. Which If you're borderline on any of the three, do whatever it takes to improve your scores. Your in PFA will be less than it has in the past. For one thing, you have DI's and Chiefs walking around making sure you are doing everything the OCS way. If you came in through BDCP or any other college program, your recruiter's PFT was probably a little more lax and you were given probably a few more minutes of rest in between each set. Don't rely on those scores, they are higher than what you will get at OCS. Another reason is that you won't be at 100% from the lack of rest the previous few days. Most people that I talked to scored an average of 1 min slower, 10 pushups and 15 situps lower than the normal. My advice is focus a little bit less on the run, if you can do it in 10-11 minutes you'll be just fine. You definately don't run as much as you'd think. And the running that we've done so far is easy. Focus more on the pushups and core workouts like leg lifts and crunches.

As far as what jg5343 said about maxing in is absolutley true. You can't improve if you max out initially, and you will be left alone, which is exactly what you want. As far as the pussyfication of OCS, that depends upon how you look at it. I'm sure the next six weeks are going to be a joke compared to the previous three weeks. But the first three weeks are not easy, and according to the the upper classes, are a lot more intense physically and stresswise than it was for them. Again, its hard to compare because these are two totally different schedules. People can argue this back and forth, but lets leave that for another thread, lets just try to use this one for the gouge of the new schedule.

To answer the other two questions, OCS is 12 weeks, with the last 3 the Candio Phase. Be prepared for no sleep for 24-36 hour periods. But as a candio you get caffeine.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Brett327 said:
That's an interesting point. The Senior Chief and First Class that I had in Navy Boot Camp were just as scary, imposing, tough, and prone to yell at you from 2" away as the OCS DIs. Is OCS changing, sure, but I think calling it "pussified" is a little melodramatic. This is mostly a case of the, "Well back in my day...we had it so hard...2 miles in the snow...uphill both ways," etc. I'm sure the folks at CNET aren't complete idiots and may just know a thing or two about what they're doing and how the changes will affect things at OCS.

Brett

Thats a good point. They gave us some percentages something like this schedule being 53% more productive with a 46% injury reduction. They didn't elaborate on that, so I can't tell you exactly what they mean. We also had our DI come in and talk about the new schedule and what he thought. He talked a little bit about hazing and tradition, about how OCS isn't like what it was in the 60s and 70s where the candidates were physically beat. How they were carrying on the good traditions of OCS, yet eliminating the bad ones such as hazing. Again he didn't elaborate very much on that, I'm just repeating for you what he told us.

So for you guys and girls that will be going through OCS you will hear that its not as bad as it used to be or that its changed. But its easy to say that once you've already gone through it, especially since you tend to forget just exactly how hard it was while you were doing it. Its easy for me to look back and say well I guess the last 3 weeks weren't so bad, but at the time it was definately a different story. It still is challenging and you still need to be ready to handle all of the challenges that will come your way.

And for those of you that are wondering why I have such long responses and why I have so much free time at OCS, its because its Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday and we don't have anything scheduled because the class team was given the days off. But you probably won't hear from me until the weekends as weekdays are pretty full. And yes, you are given internet access after the third week now.

Mike

jg5343

pilot
If you have to stay awake for 36 hours in Candio phase, you need to skip a night at the bar! LMAO! What are they gonna do, hold drills like you are on a ship? Candio phase rocked!

Vanguard

Only 3 weeks with DIs, huh? When I was in Quantico, I wanted to laugh in their faces for the first three weeks. To put it in perspective...by the end, and I'm literally talking about marching across the parade deck at graduation, I was scared ****less of them.

Three weeks is definitely not enough in any service imho.

But like someone else said, if that's how it's done, that's how it's done, and you just gotta make the most of whatever comes out at the end of those few months, eh?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Three weeks may seem like "not enough" but keep in mind, the DI kinda disappeared after week 7 under the old format...which was drill comp. Now that he doesn't need to teach rifle drill (which took up a lot of time), he can concentrate on mashing the sh!t out of you.

For any "old timers" things got easier after the first RLP, as the Gunny's focus shifted from weeding to teaching drill, and by the 2nd RLP, forget about it, OCS was basically over. So on the surface it seems like "wow, only 3 weeks with the DI," but he's still on your class team, and will be more than happy to show some love if you get sloppy.

Seems like they brought in the Bob's to stream-line where they could, while maintaining the purpose of molding officers.

Status
Not open for further replies.