• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tips on Navy OCS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWOdogJon

Enlightened follower of the SWOness
My Gunny (and every other class's Gunny) was standing by around every corner for thirteen weeks.
No rifle drill?! What kind of crap is that?

KBayDog

Rifle Drill

I'm just going to throw something out there, as a guy sitting around on a Sunday morning with a cup of coffee and a lot of studying ahead of me:

Marine recruits spend a ton of time drilling with rifles. Of course, drill is mainly to instill discipline, teamwork, confidence, esprit de corps, attention to detail, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Another major reason that recruits learn rifle drill (specifically) is because they use those very same rifle drill commands in the fleet during formations and parades (changes of command, posts and relief, memorials, etc.) In addition to the benefits of drill at boot camp, the recruits are taught the basic drill maneuvers that they will see again and again throughout their careers (as well as getting used to carrying a rifle everywhere).

Marine officer candidates (and, to a much lesser extent, TBS studs) spend a minimal amount of time drilling with rifles (as compared to recruits, of course). Candidates are primarily taught these skills in order to give a baseline by which to conduct a candidate-led drill evaluation - in other words, to test the candidates' abilities to lead a formation. (Anyone who has seen a candidate "Final Drill" competition as compared to a recruit "Final Drill" competition - heck, a recruit "INITIAL Drill" knows that recruits can/do out drill officer candidates any day of the week and twice on Sunday...then again, look at the different missions of MCRD and OCS.) Officer candidates do not need to get into the gnats-arse detail that recruits do for drill. Why? Aside from OCS graduation, officers don't usually drill with rifles. They carry swords or pistols.

Sooooo......why do I post this on a Navy thread?

Perhaps one of the reasons rifle drill went away in P'cola is because the time spent learning how to carry a rifle you'll probably never see again can be better spent on other aspects of training. You can still gain all of the benefits of drill even if you don't march around with a "drill stick" (rifle). If you're not carrying a rifle, the DIs can (and will) nitpick every other little thing about you - your sword, your posture, appearance, stride, arm swing, vocal abilities, etc, etc, etc. In the meantime, training hours are freed up to be spent elsewise.

Enough from this old Jarhead.

Back to my coffee.

plc67

pilot
I know where you can go to OCS and you can have all the Marine Corps you can take. Even though thump call and wall to wall counseling are no longer allowed.

NavyLonghorn

For me atleast, its about meeting a guy.. and saying.. Ohh.. you went to OCS? And appreciating meeting one of the few people around that actually understands how much it sucked. Now I feel like I have to say.. Ohh, you went to OCS? When? Gettin beat in squadbay, and looking at swet stains in the floor, and knowing that guys have felt the same pain in the same place of decades.. that ment something to me.

Now I know one of the older guys is gonna chime in and say "Your OCS was nothin compared to what it used to be scooter", so yeah, just my thoughts on the deal.

KBayDog

BlkPny said:
Very well said, KBay.
How can a Marine be the one to put Navy OCS in perspective?

Isn't putting Navy OCS in perspective what Marines are for? ;)

Again, those are just my thoughts. What's the real reason(s?) for the change? Who knows.

NavyVance said:
For me atleast, its about meeting a guy.. and saying.. Ohh.. you went to OCS? And appreciating meeting one of the few people around that actually understands how much it sucked. Now I feel like I have to say.. Ohh, you went to OCS? When? Gettin beat in squadbay, and looking at swet stains in the floor, and knowing that guys have felt the same pain in the same place of decades.. that ment something to me.

Now I know one of the older guys is gonna chime in and say "Your OCS was nothin compared to what it used to be scooter", so yeah, just my thoughts on the deal.

Scooter,

There will always be the "Old Corps" mentality, even in the Navy. The guys who graduate the "new" OCS will look at the next class and think they are softer than the grads. (How many of you Citadel guys out there have heard/said that you were the "last class with a real 'System?'" ;))

Vance, I can appreciate how you feel, but your feelings will change as you get "older." As time goes on, you will meet a guy and say, "Oh...you were in the Navy?" and buy him a beer...and appreciate being in the company of someone who knows how much "it" - the Navy - sucked.

NavyLonghorn

Fair enough. For me its not about this way is better, that way is worse, yadda yadda. And im sure part of it is just the same mentality that leads to abuse in fraternitys and the Airforce flight training being so painful. People walk around with a mentality that, hey, if my life had to suck, yours does too. And im sure that sort of cyclical reasoning is in a way non progessive. Smart people made these changes, and Im sure the Gunnys are gettin there moneys worth in the first three weeks.

That being said, of I had to get beat for 13 weeks, so should those punks ;p.

KBayDog

NavyVance said:
That being said, of I had to get beat for 13 weeks, so should those punks ;p.

That being said, if "the beatings will continue until morale improves," it stands to reason that morale improves after Week Three in the "new OCS?"

Why did it take fourteen weeks for your morale to improve? :)

NavyLonghorn

That last comment was a bit on the sarcastic side. I know life is gonna suck either way.. and I still wouldnt wanna do OCS again, even the "new" way.

KBayDog

NavyVance said:
That last comment was a bit on the sarcastic side. I know life is gonna suck either way.. and I still wouldnt wanna do OCS again, even the "new" way.

I hear you, and I agree 100% :)

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
NavyVance said:
For me atleast, its about meeting a guy.. and saying.. Ohh...

I got worried for a second, but then thankfully, continued reading.

Sorry. Just playing!!

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
yeah, once through OCS was quite enough for me. There is no school i've done in the Navy that I wouldn't want to do again before doing OCS for a second time. But hey, i'm only half way through my first sea tour, many more schools to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.