• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tips on Navy OCS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
"he's a recruit,"

Maybe he means to say that he's enlisted.

As for the saluting thing, it is tradition in OCS for the "DI" to render a newly minted Ensign his first salute. It's a mix of requirement and respect. I think v 2.0 was trying to say that when your DI gives you your 1st salute, he's doing it not only because he has to--but also because he wants to. He's proud of the accomplishment and respects those that earn the butter bars.

As our boy stated, he wrote that with a philosophical bent.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
And btw, Navy boot camp is a joke. What I know of OCS leads me to believe basic training is NOTHING compared to it.

AZSkegee

Navy Boot is not a joke, but it represents the mission of building the framework of a sailor's journey. Getting a ship underway, mooring lines, gas chambers , running around with a gas mask trying to shot a weapon etc. The Navy fights its wars at sea, with technology, the USMC (God bless them Boys) fight on the land with heart, and honor, so there boot camp is different. So I would not call Navy Boot Camp a Joke, because one day a sailor who went there might save your life during GQ, if you dont know what that is ask a sailor who went to Navy Boot Camp or OCS, learn, and educate dont belittle

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
I don't know about the Navy but read this article of what a senior NCO has to say about new 2nd LT's in the USMC and the distinction between OCS and boot camp...

http://www.yuma.usmc.mil/pao/readarticle.asp?article=100

I'm guessing that on some other level that the Navy is similiar...proving you can lead is definitely harder than learning to follow, IMO.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
I did go to Navy boot camp, that's why I feel relatively qualified in answering. I'm belittling no one, I loved being a sailor.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Oh yeah,

GQ = General Quarters.

For someone who berates others in a post about being learned and educating oneself, you sure don't bother to do the same. Had you EDUCATED yourself about my past in my profile before slamming me, ya woulda LEARNED that.

Fair winds and following seas, shipmate.

version2point0

#1 yes i meant enlisted rather than recruit. sorry

#2 slasher: thank you for clarifying my point. you hit the nail on the head

#3 slasher: he wasnt slamming you, he was just wondering why you used such a harsh phrase as "bootcamp is a joke". regardless of you having gone through it, think about the people that dont look at your profile and just read that one statement. is it not possible that someone could be turned away form the servic from a statment as bold as that?

#4 slasher: sweet neon effect in your avatar :)

-v2.0

AZSkegee

Thanks Version, and Slasher, I just took you post a little seriously, Im just a very motivated person and I dont look at events I have accomplished as easy or a joke, A lot of times I wish I wouldve joined the USMC so I can be over there gunning and hummpin. Im not trying to slam you or anything, But I was offended There are somethings I dont like about the Navy, but this is my Navy as much as yours we have a duty to be responsible for the image of the Navy we display to others. Its okay to bad mouth a house in the presence of the owners if you are a member of the house, but I'll be damn if someone on the outside talks about my house. No hard feelings shipmate, and dont become easily offended A trait of a good officer is your ability to brush off disagreements, LCDR Moran

BigSkyGuy

ENS, SC, USNR
I think jearose is right about age ... I'm 32 and working on my OCS app as we speak and the officer recruiter doesn't seem to think that my age is an issue.

version2point0

i vocalize my opinions on stuff i dont know anything about? i thought i was doing pretty good at answering questions and saying when i wasnt sure if i was right... either that or i dont post. did i say something wrong?

plus, i never claimed to know the origin of the USMC training navy officers, i just said i was sitting around thinking about what a good idea it is. thanks for the background, tho. that was really cool to read.

-v2.0

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
V2.0 you ALWAYS say something wrong. Haven't you gotten that message yet? Or were you left off of the memo?

Not that I know anything of course.

Kobyra

P.S. Please note heavy use of sarcasm.

mlj0215

Navy boot IS a joke....I never SAW the gas chamber and certainly NEVER got a ship underway while I was there. In fact, my RCC hated to run so we never did...I got OUT of shape, IT WAS GREAT! ;) Looking forward to getting beat up pretty bad at OCS though....

demax182

CEC Officer from Class 15-03
Any input from people who have been through both, boot and OCS? Oh, by the way mlj0215, whoever your RCC was, he's UNSAT. There will be none of that at OCS, all DI's love to run. I don't care which DI you get, they're all good at inflicting pain, and they love it. The DI I had especially loved to destroy us. Sometimes I like to recollect those good old memories at OCS.

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
Neither of them were hard as long as you did your best. Just keep your mouth shut and do what you are told. The biggest thing is to realize that it will not last forever and just take one evolution at a time. I was never the fastest runner or the one who could do the most pushups and I had no problems with either of them. I am not saying that I enjoyed either of them or wish to return, but they were not as bad as everyone made them out to be. By the way, they used to smoke us pretty good when boot camp was in orlando, not quite as good as GySgt Murphy, but good enough to make a lasting impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.