• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tips on Navy OCS???

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyWannabe

Originally posted by Eteled
Talk with an officer recruiter. There is no obligation and they won't send you spam.

Look around this site: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/ojt.htm It should be very helpful, but some of the information isn't correct (medical).

Most OCS spots seem to be rather competitive at the moment (lots of applications post 9/11 and poor economy). Check out the sticky topic "Stats & Scores" in the Paths to commission folder (on this site). It'll give you an idea of what some packets look like, what people are shooting for and who's getting selected.

You get three (you prioritize, don't have to list three) choices on billets (i.e. Intel. SPECWAR, NFO...). Your packet gets sent to your first choice. If the community is interested in you then you're professionally recommended. You then send in more paper work and the community will make a final decision on you. If they say yes, you're in with that billet provided nothing comes up during OCS. If they say no, your packet goes the second choice and possibly the third. If no one picks you, you can reapply.

Contact a recruiter. Most of them are straight forward, not like enlisted quota fillers. You should start your packet now (application, ASTB, getting LOR's and so on). I took the ASTB on Oct. 10 and my packet is finally being sent Tuesday.

This is inaccurate and I say that from personal experience. While you list your designator choices in an order of personal preference your ADVDOCS can be reviewed by the different designators concurrently and you may get a pro rec from one of your lower ranked designators before even getting an answer from a higher ranked one.

In my case my second designator was under review before my first choice was being reviewed and my third choice was added to my application after my first choice came back as a rejection, got my pro rec for my third choice and submitted my FINDOCS. I still have not heard back on my second designator.

The age limit for designators varies. Some designators have an age limit of 27 while others have an age limit of 35. The age limit is for time of commission (receiving your Ensign's bars). Waivers can be obtained for age limits with previous military experience.

As for advancement, from what I have seen and read, the choices you make in terms of the billets you take (the tougher the better) will be what determine how fast and high you can advance.

AZSkegee

Any you guys remember making RAIN at Great Lakes, cant go in detail to many civies's but thats one thing about Navy Boot camp that was a JOKE, lol all in all robv182 is right its what you make of it, I didnt think Navy Boot Camp was hard, but it did require mental motivation

mlj0215

Oh yeah! We never ran, but "RAINED" twice a week! I was there the summer they sand blasted all the windows on 3rd deck because the women were coming....that grit made it even worse in the heat!

Integer

Banned
A friend told me that a newer recruit told their mutual recruiter, who relayed it to my friend, that "Navy bootcamp is a joke."

:)

Eteled

I've heard different stories on how the application was reviewed and what I posted was what my recruiter told me. Something about humans I guess.

jamieman

I have been through both OCS and Boot Camp. Boot Camp is kindergarten compared to OCS. Just cause you make it through boot doesn't mean you'll make it through OCS.

If you have any questions about the difficulty level of OCS just ask poor little v2.0. Lets just say he was crying in his poopies, I mean "super suit," before he even met his DI.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
No kidding, while I was there, a couple of people DOR'd because they couldn't handle the candidate officers.

DairyCreamer

I thought you couldn't DOR until your 6th week or so?

~Nate

Originally posted by Thisguy20
No kidding, while I was there, a couple of people DOR'd because they couldn't handle the candidate officers.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
We had a girl DOR because she didn't want to get her hair cut!
It was too bad too, she was really cute...

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Creamer,

You can't officially DOR until after your 4th week. What that means is that's when they begin to process you out. It's possible to DOR prior to that, but all that means is that they'll roll you into GTX until you do your time.

demax182

CEC Officer from Class 15-03
How is Version 2.0 doing? He was asking tons of questions concerning OCS. He didn't DOR did he? Let's see, his class should be in about 3rd week so they're probably stressing over 4th Week RLP about right now or really soon. Fun times I tell you. Anybody knows who his classes' DI is? Just curious.

I don't see the point in DOR'ing. You might as well just stay and finish it off, your life still sucks in GTX.

Vandy7

F-14B/D RIO
Add me to the list of folks who have been to both, though my grey hairs remind me that memories have grown somewhat dim...Having said that, a comparison:

Overall, OCS is just plain harder, as you would expect. The graduates are being held to a higher level.

Physically: Well, its somewhat of a toss up. Organizatinally, OCS has a much better program overall. And my hands still hurt from pushups on the grinder. But the number of "mashings" and trips to the pits were much more limited compared to the number of times my Recruit Company (yes, "company", showing my age. Pre-Stress card, too) did hop and pops or made it rain.

Academically: About the same level of memorization, I think, just different material. As one would expect, the material is more detailed and of a higher level in OCS. But the candidates are more educated.

Leadership, Part I--student: OCS, hands down. At RTC, if you got into a leadership position, it could become your license to lie, cheat, and perhaps steal. Our AROC, until he got caught cheating on a test and rolled, was a petty tyrant with delusions of grandeur. But he had a good voice for calling out cadence. The candidate officers at OCS have at least had a little more thought put into their selection.

Leadership, Part II--staff. Again, OCS hands down. RTC company/division leadership can be a crap shoot. They all work ungodly hours, no doubt, but the overall age/level of achievement just ain't where OCS is at. Remember, they take OCS DIs from those who have already done Marine Recruit Depot work.

Mentally: Please. OCS by a landslide. From meals to allocating time for study/MTT prep etc., OCS is just more demanding. RTC was much more bearable, though I felt like cracking the nth time I practiced folding a shirt or timing myself making a rack.

Fellow Students: Strange one here. I actually liked my RTC classmates more than my OCS ones. Yes, my 'cruit company had the ex-crack dealer who tried to get by on the minimum possible and the Tennessee redneck that you swore was Forrest Gump's brother, and they were all basically 18 and immature (I was a worldly 25 at the time), but I think their attitude was better. They were, in the end, willing to listen to the CC's and do what they were told. We were an Honor Company. OCS on the other hand--we had a bunch of Type A smart alecks who already had their name plaque for their TOPGUN #1 Grad picked out, while treating the entire program with about the same sneer as Bill Murray in "Stripes" (all but one went props, btw). They were funny and witty to be sure--but we also failed both, yes both, MTT's. Richard Gere had more liberty in the two hours of "An Officer and a Gentleman" than we had in 13 weeks. So, funny as it is, that lesser educated, more immature group of enlisted guys was a better team than the college dudes--because they were willing to accept that there was something bigger than themselves. And I'm sure that RTC is only better with "Battle Stations" But, yes, at the end of RTC, we wish it had been tougher. I did not say the same after the gunny gave the salute at the church flagpole in P-cola.

My two (and then some) cents worth

demax182

CEC Officer from Class 15-03
I didn't go through bootcamp, but I do agree with you concerning OCS classmates. I was very lucky in having 3 awesome roommates however, we got along the best. But in general, everybody in my class just flat out hated each other. When it came near MTT Prep, my gosh, that's when tension was the absolute highest, nobody really helped each other out the way we were supposed to. I was going to next senior class in our batallion for help more than my own class. It's amazing we passed both MTT's, I guess we worked well as individuals. People were just too darn competetive.

Crowbar

None
Originally posted by Vandy7
So, funny as it is, that lesser educated, more immature group of enlisted guys was a better team than the college dudes--because they were willing to accept that there was something bigger than themselves.

I don't know if a more accurate statement has ever been made about the difference between entry-level enlisted and officer training. I saw that too when I compared Quantico to MCRD San Diego, I just didn't know how to say it so eloquently. Nice work, Vandy. Next time somebody asks me the difference between Marine boot camp and Marine OCS I want to use that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.