• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Thoughts?

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
Is it really worth the risk just so you can look and take out your desired target? Pardon my beyond ignorance, you know more than me because you use that HMD visor. I'm as of right now an aviation enthusiast, would love to know wlawr005.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Yes it is worth it. Your description of its capabilities is incomplete and understated. The risk, while there, also has mitigating measures in its design.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JHMCS and other advanced helmets provide (among other things) significant amounts of information, situational awareness, the ability to designate targets and help your radar look where you want it to. There are lots of things in military aviation where you trade a certain amount of risk for capabilities or the ability to execute missions & tactics. In this case, the risk is fairly remote. In another recent "sky is falling" F-35 story, they impugned the ejection seat because people who weigh less that ~140 pounds could be injured in an ejection. This is true of many ejection seats that are currently in use, so it's hardly the show stopper these stories makes it out to be.

Naval Aviation is inherently risky and extremely unforgiving. We go to great lengths to understand those risks and devise ways of mitigating them to an acceptable level.

Jublov

I like your explanation a lot Brett, there's a risk in anything in the exciting world of naval aviation. Did you as a Prowler FO ever use it for the HARM?

Jublov

Yes it is worth it. Your description of its capabilities is incomplete and understated. The risk, while there, also has mitigating measures in its design.
Sorry for being understated and vague, so to sum up, the media is being bullshit despite what they tell us about the JSF and it's the same for almost all Strike aircraft?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't get published by writing articles that say 'this stuff comes up during the development of a new aircraft.' The ejection seat story was another great example - made it sound like the 'troubled F-35 program' had an Unsafe At Any Speed ejection seat that would kill pilots. But you read it, and it's like...so the seat has an anthro envelope? Just like all the others?

There's an entire genre out there of 'all new military programs are bullshit' journalists and bloggers. The F-35 is a favorite, as is/was the V-22, LCS, Ford-class, etc ad infinitum. Problem is that legit concerns get buried under a ton of snarks by airshow nerds with keyboards who at least half the time are repeating rumors or clearly have no clue what they're talking about. But it brings in the clicks, which is what most sites care about.

Jublov

I'm sorry for offering clickbait to you guys, I'm smarter than that (apparently not) and I didn't mean to feed you more bullshit, mods can remove this post if they want. My apologies everyone.

Just to add in, I don't know why the media gives new programs a lot of tripe

. Like you said Fester, the V-22, LCS, and the like. I'm sure by the 2020s at least the F-35 problems will be rectified and be operational by then.
I will be honest, I am for the F-35 program, despite it's faults and fails. I think it is truly a beautiful fighter, our legacy hornets are getting old and the F-35 is the way of the future.

59460131.jpg

Please pardon my ignorance, you guys know more than me about anything in Naval Aviation, it's the coolest field you can be in and the best of both worlds of being an officer and an aviator, I really thank for all your dedication to the website and helping each other pursue their dream, like me.

Last edited:

Jublov

Dank means dark, sticky, gooey, and potent. It was originally a common word to describe disgusting basements and caves ect. Huh, sounds like where I live, is that why? :p