• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE AT VANCE, SHARE YOURS. 21 May 2008

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
Ok, I just noticed the N number right below the hud. The thing is going to be a pretty sick aircraft for a primary trainer.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
And this....

panel_full.jpg

Does not equal this...
P-3C%20Orion2.JPG

That cockpit is sexy...but I'm not sure learning there is the right answer when half of the fleet looks like ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Does not equal this...
P-3C%20Orion2.JPG

That cockpit is sexy...but I'm not sure learning there is the right answer when half of the fleet looks like ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is exactly what I was thinking - but I guess the 5 guys going to fly Raptors will be ready for it ;)

And Scoober, don't listen to what anybody says, that Orion cockpit is "sexy" in a classic sorta way :)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
And Scoober, don't listen to what anybody says, that Orion cockpit is "sexy" in a classic sorta way :)

You know I used to laugh at people to myself when they said that...but the old girl really does grow on you...especially watching those big old props spinning away out there. They're so big, and spin so "slow" compared to what your used to, for a while you can't help but try to spot indiviual blades. Big old ceiling fans out there...:D

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Been wearing 'plugs in flight...

Here's hoping the ears hold out long enough to grow into the old man routine!:D

"Huh? What's that sonny?";)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

That's been my thinking for some time, but seeing as how it's taken so long for both the 60R and the T-6B to come online, the system might actually be on track. Now one could argue that the new -60s aren't glass either, since (and I base this only off the pics I've seen) the gauges are just digital representations of steam gauges, but ignoring that for a sec....once the Romeo comes fully online (like an actual operational squadron), the only two platforms in the active duty fleet that won't be glass are the P-3 and the -60B (might of missed one there, so let me know if I did). And the P-3 at least has a relatively near-term solution that's progressing. So, I guess what I'm saying is...I think the T-34 gives a student a lot of good training, no matter what he goes on to fly, but in 5 or so years, the system might have caught up w/ itself and actually be working.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
That's been my thinking for some time, but seeing as how it's taken so long for both the 60R and the T-6B to come online, the system might actually be on track. Now one could argue that the new -60s aren't glass either, since (and I base this only off the pics I've seen) the gauges are just digital representations of steam gauges, but ignoring that for a sec....once the Romeo comes fully online (like an actual operational squadron), the only two platforms in the active duty fleet that won't be glass are the P-3 and the -60B (might of missed one there, so let me know if I did). And the P-3 at least has a relatively near-term solution that's progressing. So, I guess what I'm saying is...I think the T-34 gives a student a lot of good training, no matter what he goes on to fly, but in 5 or so years, the system might have caught up w/ itself and actually be working.

Agreed. In 10 years, the majority of the instrumentation that you will fly in the Navy will be glass. That is why the big push for the T-6B to have the full MFD suite with the HUD, etc. Do primary students need all that crap? No. Will it make the transition easier a few years down the road. You bet. In my experience, once you get over a short learning hump (8 hours or so with the new system) it is a breeze and it can actually make your life much easier if you use it right. The T-34 is pretty capable, but come on, the thing is pretty old school.
Now as for the Marines....at least there is the Osprey.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Now as for the Marines....at least there is the Osprey.

But they do have the -130J, the Harrier, the Hornet, the Osprey, and the Zulu/Yankee. All of which are/will be glass. I think all that's left is the -53 and the Phrog, and we can pity Phrog guys for so many different reasons besides not being glass.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
You know I used to laugh at people to myself when they said that...but the old girl really does grow on you...especially watching those big old props spinning away out there. They're so big, and spin so "slow" compared to what your used to, for a while you can't help but try to spot indiviual blades. Big old ceiling fans out there...:D
Scoob, what is up with the right-hand pattern at NIP? I brought the 45 there yesterday and after several Tacan 27s I got a freaking right downwind behind 2 P-3's, and the T-34, which gives one a nice face-full of antenna farm.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The T-6A does not have a glass cockpit. It has a bunch of computer representations of steam gauges. There is a huge difference between a MFD based system and a bunch of little screens with pictures of needle gauges on them.

However... there is an advantage to a gauge that FLASHES on at you and take up space in your scan when it's needed... but is replaced by more applicable information when it is not needed (NACWS being replaced by Oil Temp, Oil Px, and Hydro Px) Plus, being able to pop up my GPS map behind my HSI was priceless. Hell, having a moving map mode was good... but just being able to have various HSI formats to flip through was awesome. Key to me, was... if one gauge/screen failed you could still call the gauge up on the other screen!! At least for the two main ones. Which was also nice if for no other reason than consolidating and/or personalizing your scan pattern to what felt comfortable to you.

Or having the advantage of numbers and readouts turning YELLOW or RED in various limitation areas... especially areas that can change in different flight regimes... ie: the -60 knows the torque limits if I'm below 80 KIAS or above 80 KIAS. ((sorry, I've forgotten my T-6 limits))

It may not be a glass cockpit... but saying "It [just] has a bunch of computer representations of steam gauges." is just as inaccurate.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
However... there is an advantage to a gauge that FLASHES on at you and take up space in your scan when it's needed... but is replaced by more applicable information when it is not needed (NACWS being replaced by Oil Temp, Oil Px, and Hydro Px) Plus, being able to pop up my GPS map behind my HSI was priceless. Hell, having a moving map mode was good... but just being able to have various HSI formats to flip through was awesome. Key to me, was... if one gauge/screen failed you could still call the gauge up on the other screen!! At least for the two main ones. Which was also nice if for no other reason than consolidating and/or personalizing your scan pattern to what felt comfortable to you.

Or having the advantage of numbers and readouts turning YELLOW or RED in various limitation areas... especially areas that can change in different flight regimes... ie: the -60 knows the torque limits if I'm below 80 KIAS or above 80 KIAS. ((sorry, I've forgotten my T-6 limits))

It may not be a glass cockpit... but saying "It [just] has a bunch of computer representations of steam gauges." is just as inaccurate.

Agreed. It is better than steam gauges, but far from what newer and modified fleet aircraft are using. I would just put an asterisk by any claims that it is a "glass" cockpit. Whatever it is, it is light years ahead of what I am flying now :)
Hell, I would take a Stearmann if they would put an ejection seat in it!

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Flash,

What is the name of the Israeli Primary plane above? Thanks.

That particular aircraft actually looks like it's from Belgium. With the flag colors on the vertical stabilizer(s) and the European-esque Lion crest/shield on the side