• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE AT VANCE, SHARE YOURS. 21 May 2008

JMO20

I recently selected P-3's out of Vance. I wanted jets but that didn't pan out as I'd hoped. Because the other two Vance threads are closed out I wanted to start one for people who've recently been there and done that to share their experiences with others. Please be objective though and don't use this as an opportunity to whine, or bash the Air Force but try to be objective to really help guys get a better idea of what to expect. I hope this helps someone similar to how I've had people help me.

Here's my response to an email from someone planning on going to Vance but not sure what to expect:

Well, you will be on the flightline[ at work] for most likely 12 hours a day. You'll fly for 1.5 hours on days when the weather is decent. That will probably be the highlight of your day. Then you'll have to deal with being in the flightroom for the rest of the time. There will be many times when you'll think, "wow, i could sure use an hour at the gym to refresh my mind, then hit the books later. But they probably won't let you do that b/c it is the Air Force.

No, it was not all bad. I really enjoyed the flying, enjoyed the students in my flight, and even enjoyed SOME of the instructors. What I did not like was the fact that your options leaving Vance, basically your NSS score, may be very relative to what flight you end up in/ how well your instructors know how to grade Navy students to accurately reflect their proficieny at flying.

I flew well at Vance, above average. And that's being objective about myself and not trying to make myself sound good or anything like that. Unfortunately, I was subjected to a flight that graded very hard. My NSS was a 33. That is an absurdly low score at Whiting or Corpus. And I knew that was not an accurate reflection of how well I flew. One of the top guys in my flight of students was a Marine and his NSS was only a 43. When I asked instructors if they knew why his score was so low, they said "No, i thought he was going to have something like a 60."

Meanwhile, I watched guys in our sister flight get high 60's and 70's for their NSS scores. They got Jets. And based on the stories I heard, these guys were good but I don't think they were nearly that much, if even better than some of the maritime students in my flight. I think, repeat, "I think" a lot of it just had to do with what flight I was assigned to. I seriously doubt most Student Naval Aviators would have hit a 50 NSS had they been in my flight. And I'll always feel confident that I would have hit/exceeded 50 if I'd been in a different flight, under a different set of flight leadership.

So my point is this. If you go to Vance, there may be factors that affect how you are reflected on paper that are wholey out of your control. I went there, worked my butt of, performed above average, and due factors way out of my control was represented on paper as a guy who barely knew what he was doing.

Guys I knew in other flights went to Vance, worked their butts off, performed above average, and that was represented if not inflated on paper. Again, some of how they were represented was probably due to having instructors that understood how to make sure their maritime guys are represented accurately according to their abilities. The students under that leadership worked and performed just as well as others who did well but had instructors who knew how to keep options open for them.

My advice, if you go to Vance:
1. Have fun, because you will be flying the T-6
and it's a neat experience. You will be ahead of
your Whiting/Corpus compadres in terms of
exposure and experience.

2. Enjoy your classmates. You'll be around these
other students all day everyday and you'll
probably form lifelong friendships.

3. Feel very fortunate to be a Student Naval
Aviator. There are a lot of good people who
would make great squadronmates, would look
out for the enlisted serving beneath them, and
would represent the military very well in the
high visibility world of Naval Aviation. These
people just had that weird medical condition
that changed the path they original envisioned
they were supposed to take.

4. Understand that factors out of your control can
play a big part in what your choices are.
Whether it comes down to you having the
instructors that grade harder than the others
and make you look silly at the end of the
program, or the Navy just has few if any spots
for the community you wanted to go into,
there are a lot of seemingly weird things that
can, alter the course you originally
envisioned for yourself.

5. Work hard and don't let the possibility that you
don't see your dream come to fruition as you'd
envisioned it stop you from giving 110% each
day in everything you do. After all, on one
hand, things went different than I thought they
would for reasons I'd never envisioned. On the
other hand, I knew guys who things worked out
EXACTLY how they thought they would. You
never know what is in store until you play your
hand. I'd always much rather play and risk a
little loss than not sit at the table.

If I had to do it all again, knowing what I know now would I have still gone to Vance? Probably so. I'm 24, single, and have had an interest in aviation all my life. 6-8 months working my butt off in a stressful environment was challenging but for me, again i say FOR ME, I never thought it was too overwelhming. Afterall, prior to my selection 9 of the previous 12 or so people got Jets. I believe thats about the number I was told by the Skipper, but don't hold me to that.

If you haven't decided, think about it for a while, then decide. You never know what the end result will be till you get to the end. The End. hahaha.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I went there, worked my butt of, performed above average, and due factors way out of my control was represented on paper as a guy who barely knew what he was doing.

Guys I knew in other flights went to Vance, worked their butts off, performed above average, and that was represented if not inflated on paper.

Also realize this isn't just a Vance-ism. Yes, it's true that Vance is the Air Force and they do things "different", but NSS always has subjectivity built into it, that's the human part of it. While you may have had an extreme example, I can say that I personally know situations where a guy had a certain NSS and if he had been in a different squadron, may have had a lower or higher NSS, thereby possibly affecting his selection.

I....performed above average
Not trying to be harsh, but a lot of studs usually have a higher perception of their abilities than what they really have. I don't know you personally, but the instructors have been around the block once or twice so they have a pretty good handle on "average" and "above average". And comparing your score to others based on "stories" you heard about their flying is about like trying to judge a bikini contest by mail, your story doesn't mean shit unless you actually see them do it. Last time I checked, the T-6 is a two seat cockpit and studs don't fly together, so how exact can you say those guys with a 60 or 70 were just "average" if you never flew with them?

Good on you for posting this info up, but quite honestly man, your post drips of bitterness that you didn't get what was apparently your first choice, jets. That's life and that's the Navy. Embrace your pipeline and try to stave off being bitter about what you selected, otherwise you're just gonna have a shitty time doing whatever it is you P-3 bubba's do.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
3. Feel very fortunate to be a Student Naval
Aviator. There are a lot of good people who
would make great squadronmates, would look
out for the enlisted serving beneath them, and
would represent the military very well in the
high visibility world of Naval Aviation. These
people just had that weird medical condition
that changed the path they original envisioned
they were supposed to take.

I'd say that's the best advice in this post.

Keep yer head up! You're still where countless others would kill to be.

nugget81

pilot
....you will be flying the T-6
exposure and experience.....

I'm not trying to rip into you or anything, but I'm curious about this statement. What do you mean by it? I had the impression that Vance guys were a little behind the power curve after Primary because of the Air Force's teaching methods and content.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator

exposure and experience.

That's kind of a tough sell since you probably haven't interracted with Corpus/Whiting studs yet. Let's make sure I understand the situation: a stud who did Primary w/ the AF is now going back to Navy training, but because he flew the T-6 and did the JSUPT he will have had more exposure/experience then his/her Whiting/Corpus bretheren? I hardly think this is the case. Now you will be paired up w/ guys that are familiar with how the Navy works flight training and have already had exposure to the procedures and Pubs used by the Navy. They also don't have to "unlearn" the Air Forceism that you've been exposed to for 6 months. While the T-6 must be a sweet ride, I don't know how flying that would help you any more than doing primary in a T-34.

Good on you for sucking it up and making it through Vance. I don't know if your experience w/ NSS is unique only to Vance (as has been mentioned). Remember that it is also based on who finishes Primary that particular week and a bunch of other stats. I wouldn't get wrapped up in it, I've seen plenty of other guys who've had low Primary NSS scores and have gone on to do great in Advanced.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
That sucks that you got a raw deal, but remember that subjectivity grading happens everywhere. There's nothing that you can do about it. A buddy of mine selected helos and didn't want them, he was bitter for the next 6 months, don't be that guy.

Not trying to be harsh, but a lot of studs usually have a higher perception of their abilities than what they really have. I don't know you personally, but the instructors have been around the block once or twice so they have a pretty good handle on "average" and "above average".

Usually the sim guys are the great equalizer and if you're rocking the sims, blowing your buddy away, but he happens to get better grades than you in the flight, that usually says something about the grading. I know it could also be the case where the stud doesn't fly as well in the airplane. But I've heard that sims aren't graded in Vance, so perhaps this doesn't apply in this situation.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Usually the sim guys are the great equalizer and if you're rocking the sims, blowing your buddy away, but he happens to get better grades than you in the flight, that usually says something about the grading. I know it could also be the case where the stud doesn't fly as well in the airplane. But I've heard that sims aren't graded in Vance, so perhaps this doesn't apply in this situation.
Corpus has (had) the same spectrum of Santa Clauses and Evil Bastards in the Sim Building as it did in the hangar.

One of my fondest memories of Primary was sitting in a cube, waiting to brief a sim, struggling to keep from laughing out loud as a fellow Stud read his own personal riot act to an Anal-Ranger sim instructor during the debrief b/c he was unhappy with his fresh grade sheet.

STLEngineer

pilot
Air Force grading and Navy grading are the same methods with MIF and CTS, but the day to day ride scoring doesn't matter much in the Air Force system.

The Air Force platform selection (which is all I can speak to) is based something like 60% on checkride grades, 30% of your flight commanders opinion of you and maybe 5% on daily grades.

For this reason, I think the AF is more willing to bloody people up in the "daily" rides to prepare them for the checkride (when everything is on the line for them). If some flights are more willing to work the Navy guys differently or give out per flight grades differently (because they don't matter much), then I can see how this spread would occur. And from my second hand knowledge, there is a huge degree of variance between T-6 flights (according to my T-1 classmates).

STLEngineer

pilot
Corpus has (had) the same spectrum of Santa Clauses and Evil Bastards in the Sim Building as it did in the hangar.

No kidding, but the problem with going to Vance is that IPs are assigned to a flight, and the flight has its own command climate.

If you're in "A" flight for example, you'll fly almost all the time with "A" flight IPs; therefore, if "A" flight is tough on individual ride grades, where "B" flight is not, it won't matter much to the AF guys since they are graded ultimately by "Check Flight". The Navy guys, however will get the short end of the stick because "A" flight IPs grade a lot harsher than "B" flight IPs.

In Navy training, the tough IPs generally fly with a broad group of students, in AF training that is MUCH more localized, skewing the results.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Just one thing to think about if you do indeed go to Vance. The flight that I went into and "shadowed" for a week while they wrapped up the syllabus and prepared for graduation and we readied up for flying had 1 Navy and 1 Marine in it.

Neither of them failed any flights which seemed like a big deal to me at the time but then I realized a normal human won't. Both of them were 110% sure they were going to have a high 60's NSS and get Jets as told to me at the bar.

Come selection day our class, the new class, anxiously awaited what these guys, the quote unquote "senior class", were going to get. The Marine Corps had a jet draft mind you. One got a 49 and the other got a 51 though they did good in their respective flight. Both got helos. It was later told to me by an instructor that their entire class was pretty marginal.

Moral of the story, don't expect anything and don't judge yourself based off your peers.

I can't even count the number of places I've gone when buddies of mine were getting ready to finish Primary, and I was half way through Advanced. All of them told me exactly how they did and what they were getting, and only maybe 30% saw their expectations come to fruition.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I wouldn't get wrapped up in it, I've seen plenty of other guys who've had low Primary NSS scores and have gone on to do great in Advanced.

I agree with the original poster on almost all counts. And depending on your flight at Vance, you can get skewed results.

I was no top-gun up there... and I felt like trash the whole time. But here's three little number sets:

• I got a 34 NSS out of Vance, got highest one or two spot in Advanced and first choice for final airframe.
  • A flightmate of mine from Vance got a 32 NSS, placed first in advanced and got top choice on final airframe.
  • A Marine flightmate of mine went to a PRB for his 29 NSS out of Vance and is now flying Cobra's after his grades in Advanced.

Now, I also know people from sister flights... who got higher NSS's than they expected. All in jets, with scores of 66, 73, and a 78.

So, it could be another case of "three dudes getting shitty grades in Primary, but 'Blooming' in advanced"... or it could be three dudes who got manhandled by a different style of grading that the Air Force uses. I know personally, in advanced there were days that I felt like I flew like ton of bricks... and I got one or two below MIF. At Vance, it was the norm for most people to get one or two below MIF on each flight. Sometimes I'd have three or five. I wasnt the only one getting hammered by grades... and yes, some really good guys were getting great grades... but those of us fresh out of IFS kind of struggled.

Getting an UNSAT and a Pink Sheet on a flight just for getting airsick didnt help scores for me either...

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
So, it could be another case of "three dudes getting shitty grades in Primary, but 'Blooming' in advanced"... or it could be three dudes who got manhandled by a different style of grading that the Air Force uses. I know personally, in advanced there were days that I felt like I flew like ton of bricks... and I got one or two below MIF. At Vance, it was the norm for most people to get one or two below MIF on each flight. Sometimes I'd have three or five. I wasnt the only one getting hammered by grades... and yes, some really good guys were getting great grades... but those of us fresh out of IFS kind of struggled.

Getting an UNSAT and a Pink Sheet on a flight just for getting airsick didnt help scores for me either...

I just don't understand why anyone would put up with the mess that is Vance. Having structure in your life is different from having a passifier in your mouth the whole time. I havent been there but the stories are not convincing either. Why would anyone want to go to a place where instructors "supposedly" don't know how to grade Navy Studs.

I could be wrong, but wouldn't the harder flight/squadron have a lower ration needed for a 50. That would equal out the hard graders. At Whiting a couple friends of mine are in a squadron where the average for a 50 is 1.12-1.13 whereas it is higher than that in my squadron. So are these tough vance IPs under the same squadron(or whatever the correct airforce term is) or are they in different squadrons. If they are in the same squadron I can see how that could nock a few guys down.

If you don't mind me asking where did you do IFS?

The Pinksheet/unsat for airsicknees is rediculous are you sure thats the whole story? In Navy land thats usually an incomplete followed by some help to get over it?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
exposure and experience.

Ummmm.....
No.

Your "objective" post is nothing but subjectivity, especially wrt your performance and your platform choice. Believe me, I have babysat a class of students through Whiting, and their SA (how their perception matched their reality) about their performance was widely varied.
The NSS thing is pretty subjective at Whiting too, after all, the "Screwerbirds" of Heltraron 2 didn't get that name for nothing. I understand that you are still thinking to yourself "no, but I really did good and it was just the way that my flight graded", but I can assure you that you are most certainly living in a fantasy world. You aren't the first kid to show up on the Greyhound bus at the Enid terminal. They have done this a few thousand times.
Whiting studs are no better or worse prepared than you. You learned the same basic skill sets but in different environments.
Take it from someone who has been to both (I did Whiting primary and Vance advanced), the end result is about the same, only the process differs. The Air Force is more about hand holding and babysitting, but their system is highly efficient and it works for them.
Good luck in the future. If you truly are the highly gifted pilot that you say you are, you should rock out in advanced and VP-30 and get your choice of locations.