• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE AT VANCE, SHARE YOURS. 21 May 2008

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
....once the Romeo comes fully online (like an actual operational squadron), the only two platforms in the active duty fleet that won't be glass are the P-3 and the -60B
...E2/C2's

Scoob, what is up with the right-hand pattern at NIP? I brought the 45 there yesterday and after several Tacan 27s I got a freaking right downwind behind 2 P-3's, and the T-34, which gives one a nice face-full of antenna farm.

HAHAHHA. Yeah..."MOSA 2100' Tinseltown Towers."
Yeah...I got nothing. They gave me one the other day as well. There have been a few grey AF Citations bouncing our pattern almost continuously (and I mean 8 hours a day) doing something or other, and that little bit of constant traffic has totally fooked the left downwind. As with most problems...I blame the Air Force.:D;)

Rubiks06

pilot
That's been my thinking for some time, but seeing as how it's taken so long for both the 60R and the T-6B to come online, the system might actually be on track. Now one could argue that the new -60s aren't glass either, since (and I base this only off the pics I've seen) the gauges are just digital representations of steam gauges, but ignoring that for a sec....once the Romeo comes fully online (like an actual operational squadron), the only two platforms in the active duty fleet that won't be glass are the P-3 and the -60B (might of missed one there, so let me know if I did). And the P-3 at least has a relatively near-term solution that's progressing. So, I guess what I'm saying is...I think the T-34 gives a student a lot of good training, no matter what he goes on to fly, but in 5 or so years, the system might have caught up w/ itself and actually be working.

HSM-71 is an operational squadron. I too thought that it was just setting people up to be pissed flying the t-6 and even the 57D if that ever comes online. You get to the fleet and have to actually read gauges. I agree with Purdue, its kind of nice having an aircraft that tells you what limits your exceeding. Less task saturation and more time to focus on other things.

*The things that take a little getting used to as far as a Helo guy goes is that now instead of having a gauge for a/s, alt, and vsi. They arent steam representations they are tapes that go up and down takes a bit to get used to the scan when you are used to "gauges". All of our engine instruments are verticle tapes too, but as mentioned above they turn yellow, red or green based on what limits are being exceeded.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...E2/C2's

Oh yeah, them too.

HSM-71 is an operational squadron. I too thought that it was just setting people up to be pissed flying the t-6 and even the 57D if that ever comes online. You get to the fleet and have to actually read gauges. I agree with Purdue, its kind of nice having an aircraft that tells you what limits your exceeding. Less task saturation and more time to focus on other things.

Are there actual aircraft in the hangars that are flyable? I didn't think there were yet, but I know I'm out of touch.

The problem w/ VIDS is that it's because it's green doesn't always mean it's w/in limits. A very small issue compared to how nice it is to read them. I remember coming back the T-34 and feeling like my engine instrument SA was pretty much gone.

Rubiks06

pilot
Oh yeah, them too.

Are there actual aircraft in the hangars that are flyable? I didn't think there were yet, but I know I'm out of touch.

The problem w/ VIDS is that it's because it's green doesn't always mean it's w/in limits. A very small issue compared to how nice it is to read them. I remember coming back the T-34 and feeling like my engine instrument SA was pretty much gone.

Yeah they are flying. Some of the studs that graduted a month or so ago actually graduated and was sent out on a det. Not sure if they are doing the big deployments yet but they are def working up to it.

Personally ive never even seen the inisde of a bravo. Maybe I should go take a peek to give me an appreciation for what my aircraft came from so I dont know how our VIDS compares to what it used to be like but the software that runs the VIDS in ours seems to be pretty reliable.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah they are flying. Some of the studs that graduted a month or so ago actually graduated and was sent out on a det. Not sure if they are doing the big deployments yet but they are def working up to it.

Personally ive never even seen the inisde of a bravo. Maybe I should go take a peek to give me an appreciation for what my aircraft came from so I dont know how our VIDS compares to what it used to be like but the software that runs the VIDS in ours seems to be pretty reliable.

Didn't realize they were up now. Thanks for the info. The Bravo VIDS was mostly fine w/ the green but the one gotcha was the Transmission. I can't remember the numbers exactly, but it was possible to have a green VIDS in flight and be out of limits for pressure. We had one bird that ran high on the pressure and had a waiver.

I remember flying as a fairly new HAC w/ the recently new Skipper and getting out to our working area before noticing the transmission being out of limits. It was one of those "crap, I don't remember this being written up and as the HAC I should have seen this, but I've let it go for longer than I'd care to admit..." moments. I pointed it out, we called maint. and they told us it was waivered already ("crap, I missed that in the book in front of the Skipper..."). Then the Skipper said, "I don't remember reading that...." ("Whew, I wasn't the only one..."). And we moved on...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash,

What is the name of the Israeli Primary plane above? Thanks.

That particular aircraft actually looks like it's from Belgium. With the flag colors on the vertical stabilizer(s) and the European-esque Lion crest/shield on the side

After doing some research ..it took a couple minutes to find out thats a French made Fouga Magister .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fouga_Magister

It's a Fouga Magister. I saw these flying in Europe when I was there in the early '60s.

http://www.warbirdalley.com/fouga.htm

OUSooner and Flugelman are correct, the Israelis license built them. In the 1967 war they even used them shortly as supplemental attack aircraft for a short time.

I could not find a picture of one in Israeli colors that I could post, hence the Belgian air show bird.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The Bravo VIDS was mostly fine w/ the green but the one gotcha was the Transmission. I can't remember the numbers exactly, but it was possible to have a green VIDS in flight and be out of limits for pressure. We had one bird that ran high on the pressure and had a waiver.

Same deal with the 60S (and I'm assuming 60R), main xmsn pressure in level flight limits are different than the "green" portion of the VID.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
It's a Fouga Magister I think... You can buy them on the civilian market for about the price of a used Cessna 172. Flying costs is a whole 'nother matter...

Jackal8

OUSooner and Flugelman are correct, the Israelis license built them. In the 1967 war they even used them shortly as supplemental attack aircraft for a short time.

I could not find a picture of one in Israeli colors that I could post, hence the Belgian air show bird.

Thanks for the help Flash, OUSooner and Flugelman. ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a Fouga Magister I think... You can buy them on the civilian market for about the price of a used Cessna 172. Flying costs is a whole 'nother matter...

Little bit late to the party? ;)

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
This thread reached a high point when the OP had the dimes dropped on him. Classic. The ensuing argument over who's better because of what they flew in primary is like arguing who has the cooler wheelchair.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This thread reached a high point when the OP had the dimes dropped on him. Classic. The ensuing argument over who's better because of what they flew in primary is like arguing who has the cooler wheelchair.

I do.

2167-1.jpg