• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

This API thread is worthless

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know, but I spent 4 years enlisted and I hated having my hand held through everything. Now that I'm commisioned, I'm going to supervise, but I'm also going to have faith that the enlisted men and women under me will take care of their business so I wont have to hold their hand through everything.

Some guys won't be a problem, some will. I don't know how much leadership experience you had in the fleet (not a dig, I just don't know), but there's a definitely a need for a "trust but verify" mindset, for both the juniors as well as your NCOs.

I don't know sh!t about fleet Navy yet,..You keep digging yourself deeper. Just STFU and let it go!

Sound advice, why don't you follow it. Cavrone still has more salt than your helmet liner.

KBayDog

I know, but I spent 4 years enlisted and I hated having my hand held through everything. Now that I'm commisioned, I'm going to supervise, but I'm also going to have faith that the enlisted men and women under me will take care of their business so I wont have to hold their hand through everything.

Cavrone,

Could you please clarify: Are you arguing that enlisted servicemembers SHOULD NOT have organized PT, or are you arguing that officers SHOULD have organized PT?

Thanks.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot

Its a little thing called special trust and confidence. Officers are expected to know what is expected of them and then excel at that. Junior Enlisted, especially those at the early schools, are taught what is going to be expected of them. Part of that is organized PT where the Marine Corps sets the standard for what is to be expected. If a junior enlisted Marine fails at a PT event he/she gets told to work out more, maybe be put on BCP. If an Officer fails at a PT event they get hammered by everyone up and down the chain of command, and possibly an adverse FITREP (I people who had it happen).

Its not that Officers are so much better or smarter than Enlisted, its that they are EXPECTED to know what is required while, partially because the junior enlisted are younger they are shown first.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
Thanks for the responses and good discussion. It was just a thought that popped up randomly in my head, nothing that I was serious about.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, it's a fair question. But it's the same reason they don't march API studs to class anymore - the RHIP/RHIR thing.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand what yall are saying, but no one has adressed the original question of why our fellow aircrewman that will fly with us, need to be put through a rigorous PT regime and pilots dont. I dont believe that its because that they cant be trusted to do it on their own. Personally, I'm in great shape and train to keep myself that way. I was just wondering why there isnt more structured PT. I didn't mean to piss anyone off.

I would also argue that a big part of the reason there is more PT is that they need to fill the time with something. From what I know basic aircrew school is not too heavy on academics, while API has enough to fill most of the first few weeks full of schoolwork. Aircrew duties are usually not that physically demanding, as you well know, and the PT is part of toughening up the program.

When you get to actual flight training it will be filled with studying and practical exercises, like sims and flying, just like your Nav training. With the varied schedules and the demands of learning to fly, group PT wold be very difficult to have.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

And you'll be trusted to PT on your own.:)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, your professional reputation doesn't begin until you get to your fleet squadron. Nothing you do prior to that, from OCS, to TBS, to flight school, to the FRS, etc. has any bearing on anything. In fact, your slate is wiped clean after each stage. ;)

Say it ain't so! :D

Seriously - I sometimes run into Marines I served with over a decade ago, as a junior enlisted Marine, and the conversation inevitably devolves into calling each other out on the boneheaded things we have done, talking about how "so-and-so" is doing, etc.

The military is small - not just Naval Aviation (which makes NA all that smaller!). "They" are always watching. "They" are always talking. "They" never forget.

Believe it.

You certainly can't expect to carry your good grades or whatever with you into RAG or Fleet Squadron and expect to get anything in way of "rep points". But the half-life of being a tool or doing something legendary usually sticks with you indefinitely. It takes an awful lot of attaboys to make up for a dumbsh_t move.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You certainly can't expect to carry your good grades or whatever with you into RAG or Fleet Squadron and expect to get anything in way of "rep points". But the half-life of being a tool or doing something legendary usually sticks with you indefinitely. It takes an awful lot of attaboys to make up for a dumbsh_t move.

The one thing VAW-120 was known for (the E2/C2 FRS) was making a call to a squadron if it was felt a no load they were getting. Some front offices took it to heart and thus would begin the sterotype. Some were accurate, some weren't.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
The reason why Aircrew school is heavier on PT than the API side of life is that a good majority of the Aircrew studs are going to be headed down the street to Rescue Swimmer School. There are a number of fixed wing guys in each class (I was one of them), but we had far and away many more RSS guys in my class. Better to train all the NACCS guys to the same standard and have any/all of them ready for RSS than to have an additional period just to get them up to speed w/ RSS' demanding physical nature. Beyond that, there's nothing any more physically demanding for an Aircrewman than there is for any API/VT/Fleet aviator. Having seen both sides, API was a breeze in comparison; but I also understand the reason why they're different.