• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

This API thread is worthless

Strobes

pilot
API is worthless.... It doesnt mean anything towards your NSS and you dont need to do shit in order to graduate. Stop worrying about it. Just get wasted every night and pass your tests and you will be fine. Have fun in primary because API is gay and so is the Air Farce. JOPA rules!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Why hasn't this thread been closed yet? And why hasn't A4's mentioned his famous "I weep for the future of Naval Aviation" (including picture) speech?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
You say that now. So did I. Next thing you know, you're rolling in to take the Nav exam with a NASTY hangover...... :watching3

Not a chance. I was focused enough as an 18 year old to not go out partying in Pensacola when I was in A school down there. I was locked in on getting top of my class and I did just that. Considering this is what I have been working toward my entire life, I will be that guy in studying! I hope the rest of my class is out drinking and partying :D.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
From a winged guy, whose probably well over a year out of API, that's a hell of an outburst. I thought it was from some bitter SNA who just finished it.

In the military, every event is graded, whether it's scored or not.

There's a fine line between barely passing and flunking a test. API pink sheets look especially bad if you're ever before a board later. It shows that you must either be 1)stupid or 2)not trying.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Certainly a method the Bunk used when going through API back in 93. I remember taking preparing for the nav exam or taking it with such a bad hangover.

KBayDog

There's a fine line between barely passing and flunking a test. API pink sheets look especially bad if you're ever before a board later. It shows that you must either be 1)stupid or 2)not trying.

I'd guess more the latter than the former, since 99.9% of API is rote memorization (even the practical application is the exact same process every time, just with different numbers). But what do you know? It's not like you were an IP or anything, and dealt with this stuff on a daily basis.

Is everything in API directly applicable to your everyday flying job? No. However, it provides everyone with a basic aeronautical foundation, and (more importantly) develops the study habit patterns that the average Joe will require to succeed in follow-on training. If you can't memorize simple Aero definitions, you will probably struggle when you are forced to memorize EPs, limits, course rules, etc.

My suggestion: Do not gaff off API. (Or Primary. Or Advanced. Or the FRS. Etc., etc., etc.) You have an opportunity that a large majority of our population would do anything for - and you are getting paid a decent penny to do so. Don't blow it all for a few nights of fun in Pensacola. After you complete a "milestone," by all means, celebrate...but in the meantime, attack your training as if your aviation career and your professional reputation are on the line.

MasterBates

Kbay said:
but in the meantime, attack your training as if your aviation career and your professional reputation are on the line.

Because they are. Maybe not so much API unless you tube a test, but from FAM-1 on, its game on..

My onwing in VTs was on my OICs first det. And yes, it was asked how I did and what his impression was. Naval Aviation is smaller than you think.

KBayDog

Because they are. Maybe not so much API unless you tube a test, but from FAM-1 on, its game on...

No, your professional reputation doesn't begin until you get to your fleet squadron. Nothing you do prior to that, from OCS, to TBS, to flight school, to the FRS, etc. has any bearing on anything. In fact, your slate is wiped clean after each stage. ;)

My onwing in VTs was on my OICs first det. And yes, it was asked how I did and what his impression was. Naval Aviation is smaller than you think.

Say it ain't so! :D

Seriously - I sometimes run into Marines I served with over a decade ago, as a junior enlisted Marine, and the conversation inevitably devolves into calling each other out on the boneheaded things we have done, talking about how "so-and-so" is doing, etc.

The military is small - not just Naval Aviation (which makes NA all that smaller!). "They" are always watching. "They" are always talking. "They" never forget.

Believe it.